4x4
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    trailfiend
    Real Name
    Alex
    Thanks Given

Default Tire preference?

I'm going to move up to 33's soon, I can read reviews all day long, but like bikes - what better way to figure out what works than to look at what the locals run. Which tires do you prefer? I'm open to suggestions as well. But I'm looking for something that'll be great offroad, and not horrid on the street, especially when there's a bit of packed snow.

Last Online
    November 23rd, 2020
    4x4
    85 4runner,19 4runner
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Tire preference?

BFG ALL-TERRAIN have always worked well for me as an all purpose

Last Online
    3 Days Ago
    4x4
    11 Rubicon Unlimited, 95 YJ, 86 CJ7, 87 Dodge W250
    User Name
    ColoJeeper
    Real Name
    Don
    Thanks Given

Used to run BFG All Terrain's and was happy with them but have recently switched and am using Goodyear Durotrac's and think that they actually perform better off-road and in snow. I haven't used them yet on hard pack snow and ice, but expect good results.

The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere and taking all day to do it...

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 1,023 Posts

I've always run BFG/ATs too, but last year I got a set of 33" Duratracs from Loren and I've been happy with them. They both wear very well, both do great offroad and in the snow. The Duratracs are noticably louder on the highway, especially in some of the mountain areas. I say it's noticable because the BFGs are almost silent, not that the Duratracs are particularly loud. I think the Duratracs have a mud advantage and the BFGs have the ice advantage, but both advantages are marginal and IMO you can't lose either way. The real advantage to the BFGs is the 3-ply sidewall, C rated Duratracs have two-ply sidewalls. YOu can get a 3 ply Duratrac if you get an E rated tire, but I don't think 33x12.50r15 comes that way. I haven't had any sidewall issues with mine, FWIW.

Last Online
    April 19th, 2013
    4x4
    2012 Toyota Tacoma
    User Name
    Neversummeriam
    Real Name
    Sam
    Thanks Given

I've ran Goodyear kevlars. They are amazing, on trail and on street. Problem is they
    cost a ton.
    I prefer maxxis bighorns. they are 100 bucks cheaper and
    they work just as well I got 40000 Plus miles on a set. Got a set of 33"
    Set of 4 750.00 installed. At DLS tires.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I have BFG MT KM2 and absolutely swear by them. Great tire offroad. Great on road and in snow however I have full time AWD so that is a factor on driveability. I have noticed some cupping as they are wearing down which does increase road noise, not sure if this is being caused by the AWD though.

Last Online
    February 17th, 2021
    4x4
    4Runner - Sold
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I used ro run BFG A/T's exclusively until my last set which were junk. The sidewalls split unlike previous sets. I was told that after Michellin bought BFG they changed rubber compounds but I don't know if that's the reason they went bad or not.

After reading a bunch I went with GoodYear Silent Armor which have impressed me. They aren't real popular since people like DuraTracs but the Silent Armor rate 1 grade lower off-road and 1 grade higher in rain & snow. Since mt truck spends more time on the pavement than off it made sense and with 20k miles on them I would buy them again.

Just my

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

I voted for BFG KM2s, had a set in 33x12.50-15. Loved them and would run them again if I could afford them in 35s. They were great off road and pretty quiet on road for an M/T. I also like the BFG A/Ts, they still do well offroad but are a little better on road than the KM2. You'll probably get more miles out of the A/T's too.

Last Online
    October 5th, 2015
    4x4
    96 Bronco, 2005 Ranger
    User Name
    96blkbeauty
    Real Name
    James
    Thanks Given

I've had a couple sets of BFG AT's, and currently them in 33x12.50x15's on my Bronco. The are good tires...but worth the price? Hard to say. They are expensive. The past few times i've bought tires for the Bronco I was really picky, and refused to buy anything but the BFG AT's...no matter the price. I've heard General AT2's are comparable to the BFG AT's but at a lower price. I also have heard good things about the Falken Wildpeaks and the Nitto Terra Grapplers...but not sure if they are available in a 15 inch wheel.

I'm also currently running the Goodyear Duratracs in a 33x12.50x15 on my Ranger...and they've impressed me more then the BFT AT's. I've had them in packed snow, ice, fresh snow, rain and mild offroading...and I love them. I have around 15k miles on them, and they are wearing very well. I've rotated them 4 times now (free rotation at discount, so I try to do it every 3-4k miles). I wasn't sold on them when I was first tire shopping for my Ranger...I was set on getting the BFG AT's, but they were right around the same price. I don't regret the Duratracs.

They definitely are louder then an AT, but not bad. But I don't mind the sound of a tire like that in a truck.

Looks like from your pic you're currently running Duratracs? I'd vote to get them again.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Cherokee XJ
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

I have a set of BFG KM2 on my Cherokee. They are an awesome tire on the trail and road. I have Treadwright Wardens on my Grand Cherokee. Have not been off road with these tires but they perform excellent on the road and in snow. They have a tread pattern very similar to BFG A/T which tells me they should do well. Last I knew they trimming down the sizes they offer in a 15" rim though.

Cesare Pavese

Last Online
    July 9th, 2016
    4x4
    84 Ranger/94Explorer/87ZUK
    User Name
    BLOODBANE
    Real Name
    Mark
    Thanks Given

I have a set of BFG KM2's on my Explorer (35's though) and they are a lot better than the first generation from BFG. I run the MT's and the KM2's have more siping in them than the originals. They still don't come anywhere the close to the AT's on hard packed/icy conditions, but I have been really happy with them.

Last Online
    September 12th, 2018
    4x4
    Suburban
    User Name
    southpaws3
    Real Name
    Big ED
    Thanks Given

I'm impressed w/ the goodyear silent Armor theyhave been on the wife's sub now about 48,000 miles , i even screwed up and didn't rotate them for 10,000miles daily driver, long distance family rig.
    For everything else I like MickeyThompson and Interco. I like the best is michellians but they are REALLLLLY HEAVY in the size i like.

Hope this helps best of luck

Last Online
    May 25th, 2014
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    User Name
    trailfiend
    Real Name
    Alex
    Thanks Given

southpaws3 previously posted:
    "I'm impressed w/ the goodyear silent Armor theyhave been on the wife's sub now about 48,000 miles , i even screwed up and didn't rotate them for 10,000miles daily driver, long distance family rig.
    For everything else I like MickeyThompson and Interco. I like the best is michellians but they are REALLLLLY HEAVY in the size i like.

Hope this helps best of luck"

What Interco tires do you like? I'm eyeing the Trxus MT more and more, they sound like they're pretty outstanding in the snow - one thing I felt with my Duratracs is, while they got great traction on the street in light snow and a little ice, in deeper stuff they'd pack up really quickly and stay that way. I'll still considering them when I upsize.

The reviews I've read make it sound like the MT/r w/kevlar don't last tremendously long, but do get great traction offroad... I've read a lot of guys in the north that weren't so impressed with the KM2's in snow. One thing that's particularly appealing about the Trxus MT is that it comes in 255/85r16... skinny

Last Online
    April 17th, 2017
    4x4
    2006 Xterra Off Road
    User Name
    curt86iroc
    Real Name
    Curt
    Thanks Given

i run 31" BFG ATs on my blazer in the winter. for an all around tire, they can't be beat. during non-snowy months i run 32" cooper STTs. great off road tire and good in deep snow, but doesnt even compare to the BFGs in ice and snowy roads.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Big foot xt's rock. They aggressive like a MT but the center is cut like an at. They have good road manners, hook on the rocks, last, and work well in the snow plus they have a killer warranty.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

Like I've said before, I'll never buy from anywhere but TreadWright.

Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my cat. A dog. I have a bike. Do you like TV? I saw a rock. Hi.

Without me, it's just "aweso"

Last Online
    June 10th, 2018
    4x4
    97 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 4x4
    User Name
    Squshiee1
    Real Name
    Chase Strait
    Thanks Given

I love my hankook dynapro atm's, i have never needed to use 4 wheel drive on the road with snow and ice, i have used 4wd going down north turkey creek for a safety factor! Great grip, and they are very quite!

Last Online
    July 30th, 2014
    4x4
    07 FJC
    User Name
    fjcruzer
    Real Name
    Eric Ross
    Thanks Given

trailfiend previously posted:
    "What Interco tires do you like? I'm eyeing the Trxus MT more and more, they sound like they're pretty outstanding in the snow - one thing I felt with my Duratracs is, while they got great traction on the street in light snow and a little ice, in deeper stuff they'd pack up really quickly and stay that way. I'll still considering them when I upsize.

The reviews I've read make it sound like the MT/r w/kevlar don't last tremendously long, but do get great traction offroad... I've read a lot of guys in the north that weren't so impressed with the KM2's in snow. One thing that's particularly appealing about the Trxus MT is that it comes in 255/85r16... skinny "

I've had 255/85RE16 BFG KMs on my rig for the past 5 years and their still road/trail-ready after close to 40,000 miles and every difficult trail I've been on. I wish I could get them again. Folks I've talked with about their KM2s seem to like them, but agree they still don't do well in the snow/ice. A good friend ran 255/85R16 Trxus MTs on his FJ as well and they were much better in the snow due to the softer compound, but wore quickly and the lugs chunked badly when stressed.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    LJ, Xterra
    User Name
    Paul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 1,023 Posts

Squshiee1 previously posted:
    "I love my hankook dynapro atm's, i have never needed to use 4 wheel drive on the road with snow and ice, i have used 4wd going down north turkey creek for a safety factor! Great grip, and they are very quite!"

I like those a LOT, heard / read nothing but good about them. Right before they came out one of the 4x4 mags took those, BFG ATs and a Cooper AT and put them on identical Land Rovers. They did great, did everything the BFGs and Coopers did, and held tippy sidehills better than either. All the reviews I've read say theyre almost like using snow tires in the winter. They're the next tires for our Subaru for sure, and probably for my Jeep too.

Last Online
    September 12th, 2018
    4x4
    Suburban
    User Name
    southpaws3
    Real Name
    Big ED
    Thanks Given

. Trxus are pretty good , quiet,road friendly,good off roading (just ask monster Rob) .

i like boggers the best . but you need an extra set for the road

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast