August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

I was curious about the use of the Grace Ice and Water Shield you guys are talking about. From what Pete said, I wouldn't want that in my truck/car on the walls or the floor boards when it gets hot, so I did some searches. I ran across this write up on the differences in products used for sound deadening or primary sound deadening products, it mentions the use of roofing products.

http://www.dctra.org/files/1974_TR6_...r_Showdown.pdf

Quote from the above link:

"I looked at the specifications for products developed for roofing, which many of the products in this
    category began life as, I saw the problem. Roofing materials are designed to withstand temperatures
    of 158°F for two weeks without melting. Manufacturers supply butyl products for situations that will
    either exceed this temperature or duration. Extend the time and the maximum sustainable
    temperature falls. This explains why some people have had success with asphalt mats for a few
    years, only to have them fail in a subsequent year. Failure can be disastrous. If you're lucky, the mat
    will just fall off. If you're not, it will melt - pools of asphalt in your carpet or upholstery or window
    mechanism.

Another problem with asphalt mats is the smell. You should be fine during cool weather, but on a hot

day, they tend to smell like, well asphalt.
    "

If it were me I think I would be looking at something else.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

As far as the Gracie junk: when it is hot, it flatass bonds to stuff that it sticks too and removing it is a *****. Once it is applied, it is pretty much there..

Cheap, too. Any new construction roofing will probably have this product on it, providing the roofers don't use felt, and there is always a partial roll to be found simply lying on the ground or in the roll off when they are done. You can always just ask the next roofers you see for a remnant roll. Most of the time there is too little to bother keeping and storing for reuse, so the partial roll gets tossed.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

And it has a plastic skin that faces the carpet or body panels so none of the material can come through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12