4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

Default Ford 8.8

At the end of next month I decided to have a Ford 8.8 rear axle installed on my Jeep. I am planing on adding a locker but I am not sure if I will do it with the axle install or wait and do it later.

My question is this, what locker do you suggest I add to the 8.8 and why? I am leaning towards a non selectable locker because they are much more affordable.

Kory, you got it backwards, selectable lockers are the ones in the 600 - 1000 dollar range. The affordable ish ones are the mechanical lockers..

I would do locker install while getting the 8.8 because it is cheaper to have it installed while the axle is not under the vehicle and already tore apart. Are you also doing gears?

I am very happy with my yukon mechanical locker.. paid about 300 or so dollars for it, install was free since i had it done while regearing. the only complaint I had is how loud it is, BUT this can be easilly solved with a thicker guage fluid which is what im doing some time soon.. (a royal purple heavy duty synthetic)

Sunshine24 previously posted:
    "everything I have heard, unless you want it locked all the time you want a selectable. what I was told, was imagine driving it ALL THE TIME in four wheel drive...I don't want to have to deal with trying to park or drive in four wheel drive on dry pavement."

a mechanical locker isnt locked at all times, only when it senses wheel spin. also, driving or parking, you would normally be in RWD not 4x4.. a locker like mine does the ratcheting while i park, so it actually doesnt wear my tires down. I love it

Last Online
    July 30th, 2021
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Lunchbox locker is fine, selectable is preferred until it starts screwing up.

Chris previously posted:
    "selectable is preferred"

and expensive

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

Sunshine24 previously posted:
    "everything I have heard, unless you want it locked all the time you want a selectable. what I was told, was imagine driving it ALL THE TIME in four wheel drive...I don't want to have to deal with trying to park or drive in four wheel drive on dry pavement."

My Jeep is not a DD so having a mechanical locker that is locked at all times is not a huge deal to me to be honest. Some one feel free to correct me if I am wrong but what I have read is that the mechanical lockers have two types. One that is locked all the time and the other only locking when the wheel slips.

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "Kory, you got it backwards, selectable lockers are the ones in the 600 - 1000 dollar range. The affordable ish ones are the mechanical lockers..

I would do locker install while getting the 8.8 because it is cheaper to have it installed while the axle is not under the vehicle and already tore apart. Are you also doing gears?

I am very happy with my yukon mechanical locker.. paid about 300 or so dollars for it, install was free since i had it done while regearing. the only complaint I had is how loud it is, BUT this can be easilly solved with a thicker guage fluid which is what im doing some time soon.. (a royal purple heavy duty synthetic)"

A non selectable locker would be more affordable that is what I am leaning towards. The difference between doing the locker during the swap and after is only $100 so I am not too worried about when it is done.

I am regearing the front to match the back once the new axle is in.

ok if it only is a 100 dollars then yeah, don't worry about it right away. what gears are you going to run?

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

"ok if it only is a 100 dollars then yeah, don't worry about it right away. what gears are you going to run?"

I am debating between 4.56 and 4.88. What do you suggest?

if you're going with bigger tires eventually, just go 4.88 I know a lot of people who thought they were satisfied with 4.56 and then were beating themselves up for not going up to 4.88.. I'd go 4.88 just for peace of mind

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

4.88s and a mechanical locker if you are on a budget. You won't notice a difference with the locker after a couple of months. 40 years of driving with a locker or spool and I hardly can tell if what I am driving is open unless the wheels spin. Don't believe all the crap you hear about lockers being so hard to drive, yada, yada, blah, blah...A little more noticeable in a short wheel base rig, but not that big of a deal.

Almost everyone I know who is running tires over 33 inches is running 4.88s until they get into 37s. Just about everyone I know who stuck 4.56s in their rig for whatever reason, wished they had gone with 4.88s or higher. Oh...been there, done that and more than once over the years...

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "4.88s and a mechanical locker if you are on a budget. You won't notice a difference with the locker after a couple of months. 40 years of driving with a locker or spool and I hardly can tell if what I am driving is open unless the wheels spin. Don't believe all the crap you hear about lockers being so hard to drive, yada, yada, blah, blah...A little more noticeable in a short wheel base rig, but not that big of a deal.

Almost everyone I know who is running tires over 33 inches is running 4.88s until they get into 37s. Just about everyone I know who stuck 4.56s in their rig for whatever reason, wished they had gone with 4.88s or higher. Oh...been there, done that and more than once over the years..."

Before I bought my Jeep I test drove a 99 TJ with yukon lockers front and rear. It was different but nothing I couldn't get used to.

Right now I am running 35" tires with 3.07 gears. My "crawl" is a brisk run. I am looking forward to being able to crawl and I would bet my brakes will be happy too!

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    08 Grand Cherokee Overland
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

There's two types of mechanical [auto] lockers. There's the full carrier replacement like the Detroit softlocker. These are more expensive and require a gear check and possible setup. The cheaper ones are the lunchbox lockers. These replace the side and spider gears inside your existing carrier - much easier to install and cheaper by far.
    It's the nature of the auto locker to be locked by default. When you are turning on a surface with traction like pavement the outside wheel turns faster and forces the locker to unlock on that side allowing the tire to turn faster. This is why you get the clicking noise when turning. When you are on dirt etc there's not enough traction to force the unlock so it keeps your wheels locked and turning. This is what can cause problems in the snow and ice and you have to be careful. When turning there's no traction to force the unlock so you have a tendancy to fishtail more. With an open diff one wheel acts as an anchor so-to-speak and helps to stop fishtailing.
    A lunchbox locker is your best bet and there's several available for the 8.8. If I'm not mistaken you have to pull the carrier and take the ring gear off an 8.8 to get the cross pin out to install a lunchbox so the time to do it is when regearing.
    Jim

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Everything you probably want to know about lockers is already on the forum in quite a few places.

All of these links deal with lockers.

Front Range 4x4 TECH link:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ormation-Links

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...mation-General

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...er-Information

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ormation-Links

More than you want to know.

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

I am looking at a few different lockers. Here are the links to the top four. Can you guys please give me your opinions/thoughts/pros/cons? Thanks!

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-48831.html

http://completeoffroad.com/i-2880804...f8-8-31-1.html

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122884-...187c-145a.html

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-3...31-spline.aspx

the yukon and the detroit ftw. i have had an aussie, it failed

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

"the yukon and the detroit ftw. i have had an aussie, it failed"

Which Detroit? I linked two.

the cheaper one.. DUH! if you're spending 600 plus then just go all out and for 200 more get an arb lol.. otherwise, the cheaper one. they are guaranteed.. if broken they get replaced

just noticed the expensive one is for the 80s vehicles

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    1999 Wrangler, 8.8 ELocked 4.56 Frnt ARB Super 30
    User Name
    Errinjan
    Real Name
    Errin
    Thanks Given

I have a 99 TJ with an 8.8 installed running 4.56 I WISH I HAD GONE WITH 4.88'S I'm running 33's now but next up is 35's
    Locker- I have a Eaton E-Locker in the 8.8 "I LOVE IT!" I have a ARB in the front "wish it was a E-Locker"

Locked full time is not something I want to get used to

Look around I found my eaton for under $500 it was previously owned "never installed"
    I found the arb under $500

I'm almost ready to pay full price to replace the ARB with an E-Locker

I love the 8.8 Thanks to Josh at S F F Customs

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    00 TJ
    User Name
    Kory
    Real Name
    Kory
    Thanks Given

Errinjan previously posted:
    "I have a 99 TJ with an 8.8 installed running 4.56 I WISH I HAD GONE WITH 4.88'S I'm running 33's now but next up is 35's
    Locker- I have a Eaton E-Locker in the 8.8 "I LOVE IT!" I have a ARB in the front "wish it was a E-Locker"

Look around I found my eaton for under $500 it was previously owned "never installed"

I love the 8.8 Thanks to Josh at S F F Customs"

The E-Locker looks nice but unless I can find it previously owned "never installed" for what you paid $700 is hard to swallow.

I plan to use Josh also.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Errinjan previously posted:
    "I have a 99 TJ with an 8.8 installed running 4.56 I WISH I HAD GONE WITH 4.88'S I'm running 33's now but next up is 35's

I love the 8.8 Thanks to Josh at S F F Customs"

I agree about the gears. I have 4.56 gears and would prefer 4.88 gears.

The E-Locker is definitely nice, but pretty pricey compared to what he's looking for. What don't you like about the ARB? I love mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast