Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Camera recommendations? Smart phone with one?

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Default Camera recommendations? Smart phone with one?

I need to upgrade my camera, but I'm not a photo guy and don't know much about cameras. I looked at a Kodak easyshare for about $220.00 at Target that I liked, but I really have no idea what constitues a good camera.

another possibility- is there a smart phone that has a good camera? that would solve two upgrades at once for me.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

You are pretty close to a lot of the pawn shops off Wadsworth/Sheridan/Colfax. You may want to stick your head in there and see what they have for cameras. Last time I was looking, I found that Canons, for some reason, end up at pawn shops a lot. I was looking at some very nice expensive Canons for what amounted to about 30 cents on the dollar new cost. Just throwing that out there. I would look, the go online to find the info..

There is also that used camera shop off old Hampden just west of Lowell.

Of course there are always sales on new cameras. I just threw the used stuff out there mainly because all of my cameras have a short life span...Short enough so that the only times that I take outdoor pictures anymore are when we go on vacation... and, like when we went to Venezuela knowing that we were going to be going a long ways on a crappy canoe on an off shoot of the Amazon, sure as hell didn't take the expensive camera... Kinda like my my snowboards, too, in the fact that those are a pretty much disposable item because I only use them in the back country where they get trashed out.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I'm looking too, I use a Digital Rebel XT but want something I can slip in my pocket. The only issue with my search is finding something good with a viewfinder instead of the view screen which forces you into a "I guess that it's pointing to what I want" situation.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I didn't mean to sound like I was extolling the virtues of Canons, either, but in all the many years I have been taking pictures, especially rock and ice climbing crap, the Nikons come first, Canons second, and Olympus third as far as being able to take a picture with dents on the body, water pouring off the camera, having to chip ice off the camera, or covered in mud. That leaves pretty much everything else in fourth place and below as far as quality and durability goes. It also leaves out the Leicas and Hasselblads that you can also throw around a bit, but can't usually afford....

BTW, the Canons that I was looking at in the pawn shops were new around $500 and were being sold for $100-130, a very attractive price. I almost got one to take to Venezuela, but money was tight enough already. I would personally rather shed no tears over trashing a $500 camera I picked up for $100, but would kick myself in the ass for trashing or losing one I paid $500 for....

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

For whatever it's worth, the camera on the phones Chris and I have (Droid Incredible) is 8 megapixels, and we had to downgrade the quality/size in the phone settings for them to even be useful. It's by default at such a high setting, I'm sure it could be used for printing. With the lower setting, it's easy to email pix to myself to put into the online photo gallery. I love the camera on that phone. Not the best for night pictures, though, despite having a flash that could blind a person from a mile away (also very handily doubles as a flashlight, with three brightness options).

Last Online
    July 27th, 2021
    4x4
    '85 Toyota 4runner - Speed Racer
    User Name
    4runner freak
    Real Name
    Danny
    Thanks Given

I second the pawn shops, if you are looking for a good(expensive) camera.
    I picked up a Canon 40D(>$1300 new) at a pawn shop for $450(with a lens)
    I still don't know how to use it as well as PirateMcGee, but it is a great camera.

Point and shoot cameras are really nice for ease, but it really depends on what you are taking pictures of.
    Zoom is not a strong point for most P&S cameras, but they are easy to use and work for most stuff.
    I have hated the last two P&S cameras we have owned(Sony CyberShot DSCW55(I've heard they have gotten much better) and a Canon PowerShot 12mp)
    The best P&S camera that we have ever had was a old Canon PowerShot S30 3.2mp(They don't make them like that anymore) :(

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I didn't mean to sound like I was extolling the virtues of Canons, either, but in all the many years I have been taking pictures, especially rock and ice climbing crap, the Nikons come first, Canons second, and Olympus third as far as being able to take a picture with dents on the body, water pouring off the camera, having to chip ice off the camera, or covered in mud. That leaves pretty much everything else in fourth place and below as far as quality and durability goes. It also leaves out the Leicas and Hasselblads that you can also throw around a bit, but can't usually afford...."

Or you could do one of these, Pentax W90:

I got tired of watching and making sure I didn't get my second camera (dropped the first in a stream) wet when out fishing. I have beat the sh!t out of it and it works just as good as the day I bought it, in fact the other camera (a Canon) sits on the shelf more often than not. The W90 hasn't just had water pouring off it, but it's been completely submersed in water:

It's been covered in mud and out in single digit temperatures while I got my winter fishing fix. It says it's crush, shock, cold and dust proof, I can attest to the last three, I haven't found the need to drive over it (yet)!

It's not going to take an award winning photo or maybe it will and I just haven't figured out how yet, but for what I do, it's perfect.

Here's a review of it: http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...io_w90_review/

Last Online
    June 10th, 2018
    4x4
    97 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 4x4
    User Name
    Squshiee1
    Real Name
    Chase Strait
    Thanks Given

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-14...00000003142050
    My dad bought this because my brother lost the other one, and it is a great camera, im not sure about the durabillity but the picture is amazing and its a little bit hard to get used to the controlls at first, but once you figure it out you will love it.
    Great videos, GREAT pictures, i love it.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,011 Posts

Not sure if you want to check some review sites, but these are my go-to's when camera shopping:

www.dpreview.com

www.dcresource.com

www.imaging-resource.com

FWIW

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

I had a Sony Alpha and when that one broke, I got a Canon point and shoot. Hated it. My daughter has a Canon p&s that is better quality. My mom loves her Nikons. Now I have a Pentax Kx DSLR. Love it. I am a total novice, but I love the shots and it can do more with it than I am capable of doing without being overwhelming.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJEBEPMCMAE

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to answer!! Jock, love the new avatar! I will look into all of the recommendations tonight after work.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "I'm looking too, I use a Digital Rebel XT but want something I can slip in my pocket. The only issue with my search is finding something good with a viewfinder instead of the view screen which forces you into a "I guess that it's pointing to what I want" situation."

I have the same problem, my current camera cuts off heads in the pics, but not in the viewfinder.

Last Online
    March 16th, 2013
    4x4
    90 XJ
    User Name
    dannanw
    Real Name
    Dannan
    Thanks Given

not amazing but my phone is my best camera I have had, HTC evo(8.0 mega pix.)...I have herd the Iphone has one that aint to bad. But if you want to take "real" pictures you need a digtial SLR.