Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must see areas to explore near Ft. Collins

Default Must see areas to explore near Ft. Collins

So I have a 3 day weekend and am looking to check out the new to me area. So what are the must see's near Ft. Collins? I would prefer a dirt road be involved haha.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 2,011 Posts

Hmmm - Must See category. You living here or just traveling in for the weekend?

The Poudre Canyon is certainly pretty (CO-14 West of the north end of town). It's ~100 miles to Walden CO [North Park], if you wish to go that far. Or, a curious loop would involve CO-14 to Stove Prairie and either back via Rist Canyon or keep moving south on Stove Prairie through Masonville and the road turns back into Harmony (or just go west on Harmony and it'll wrap north to CO-14 where you'd take a right at the T-intersection and head down the poudre and back to FC.

Up the Poudre two winters ago:
    http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...und-the-block/

Stove Prairie is a nice road in the summertime on a motorcycle.

Google Maps
    Harmony / Masonville / Bighorn / Rist / Laport: Clockwise - Harmony @ Taft Hill through Masonville then up the Bighorn Canyon and east up, over, down Rist Canyon to Laporte

Nearly the same as above, but removing Rist Canyon* and extending north onto Stove Prairie.

*The fun part of Rist is only about 2 miles east from the intersection at the "west end" of rist.Here's a map showing the deviation. On the deviation, there are two "white dot" route modifiers for Rist - the southern white dot is a side spur road (gravel) to a radio tower hillsite you can drive to. You get some views "out" to the east but not wide panoramas due to trees.

If you'd like some dirt roads tossed in. How about adding / using Pingree Park / Pingree Grove as a destination (CSU has a campus there)...

Map: Heading north from Masonville you'd jump west on 44-H. Now, I see a note that this road might be seasonal and gated so it might be best to check first. From where you jump west until you get back to CO-14 it's graded soil/dirt/gravel. Typically not much washboard on it.

Here as some photos from a few years back, doing that route in the car:
    http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...-trip-44h-63e/

If you'd wish a full day, Road 80C is remote. Scenery - so/so. Maps & pix here:
    http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...-chimney-rock/

http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...mountain-area/

There are other trip reports that might give some ideas in these two areas of my web site (each starts out with a map to help "see" where the roads are)
    www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/
    www.JimWilliamson.net/motorcycle/

Holler if ya have Q's

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Thanks Jim! Don't forget the whole Red Feather Lakes area, and Estes Park via Big Thompson Canyon.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

it's out of season now, but in the warmer weather renting waverunners on Horsetooth Res. is AWESOME!!! They have pontoon boats and such too, but Horsetooth is long, choppy and perfect for waverunners. when you leave the marina area there are almost always goats on the hills around you. Really cool drive around it too, not a 4x4 road but beautiful.

http://inletbaymarina.com/boat-rentals/

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Really cool drive around it too, not a 4x4 road but beautiful.

We usually take that way back from doing runs at Sevenmile, Moody/Crystal, Kelly Flats, etc. it goes past Masonville (with a couple of turns here and there) going north and then all the way to Cache La Poudre Canyon. When I was working on the Cache La Poudre part of my Front Range Crags climbing guidebook, I would take that road a lot because of the nice drive..

Be a nice motorcycle road /drive in the summer, too..

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

there is some cheap ass property around the reservoir, but it is redneck central too... we unwittingly stayed one night at a place that is used mostly for fishermen within sight of the marina (booked it online, never been to the area before) and the next morning a cop car pulled into the parking lot and I was immediately "detained", asked for ID, asked what happenned with the guy in #2, I was like "WTF Officer?" until he realized he was at the wrong place, he was just so used to pulling into that one that he hadn't checked the address. that was fun for my wife.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Yes, Estes and RFL are both good, as is Centennial drive on the eastern side of the Res.

Another, north of the Red Feather area, would be the Halligan Reservoir. I did it in my car with only a few "select your line" spots:
    http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...gan-reservoir/

I'd have listed it but it's off season / closed which is the Deadman Lookout Tower. It's west of Red Feather, on the gated/closed in the Winter gravel road, about 20 miles. Classic lookout tower which is staffed (volunteer) on the weekends and open to the public 10a-4p. Nice stop.

Deadman Lookout Tower links:
    http://www.firelookout.org/cohost-co/deadman.html
    http://www.redfeatherhistoricalsocie...rican_camp.htm
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110210&ttype=recarea&recid=36647&actid=119&nav type=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navi d=110000000000000&pnavid=null&cid=FSE_003741&pname =Canyon+Lakes+RD+%28West+of+Fort+Collins%2C+CO%29+-+Deadman+Lookout

Ah, there's the Shambhala Mountain Center (between FoCo and Red Feather, on a dirt road)
    http://www.ShambhalaMountain.org/
    It seems it's a place you can go to and walk around vs. getting into more deeply. I've only driven by the entrance once while out for an afternoon drive.

Perhaps something to add to the list would be a ride down the Peak to Peak highway. Estes Park, south to I-70. If Scott's has an interest in trains... At Rollinsville one could jump west on the gravel road a few miles to the eastern portal of the Moffat Tunnel. This road's open all year.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "http://inletbaymarina.com/boat-rentals/"

Cool - I'm doing the V8 head smack as I never realized they'd have rentals.

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Perhaps a few more call-outs:

1) Poudre River Valley sights
    - Mishawaka Amphitheater / restaurant / bar
    - Lower narrows
    - Upper narrows
    All of these places are near the Stove Prairie / CO-14 intersection (Google Map). From the intersection, the Upper Narrows is to the west perhaps a couple miles. The lower narrows, with its hard rock tunnel, is but a mile to the east with "The Mish" just east a tad more. Stop for a sandwich (nice place in the warm months to sit on the deck by the river).

2) Budweiser plant N/E of town
    - Brewery tour
    - Horse stables
    Both are free (there is a gift shop $). Drop in anytime at the visitor center (northeast corner of the facility, from the frontage road along I-25) and just look at the stable (clean) with Budweiser history and wagon. Brewery tours run often enough there's not much of a wait.

3) Pawnee National Grasslands - wide open space to stretch the eyes
    Northeast of town (Google Map) is a spot to go if you want wide open space. Few roads (~2 mile grid system, gravel), very few fences, rare is the ranch house or power line. Some might not call this a destination, but on the occasional warm day with the top off, windshield down, 30mph touring for a while is rather relaxing.

4) Frozen Dead Guy - Nederland CO
    www.FrozenDeadGuy.com is just that. A guy died and is being "kept on ice" quite literally. Donate to the cryonic's fund. (never been, it's on the "some day" list). There are several web sites to toy with, here are two:
    www.frozendeadguydays.org
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Dead_Guy_Days

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

If you feel like driving to Gould , just over Cameron Pass, Turn in at the KOA campground and go straight in to Colorado State Park./ Park pass required(you can buy a daily pass at the entrance gate)/ It has roads all over, a nice lake, and lots of Moose viewing. I Elk hunt up there and see more Moose than Elk it seems. Very nice country and the Beatles havent totally killed everything yet. Its anice drive over the pass too!

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Red Feather Lakes is one of my favorites.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Jim Williamson previously posted:
    "Frozen Dead Guy - Nederland CO"

Never been, either, but I know the guy who packs him with dry ice once a month. My favorite Boulder County Libertarian.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

4) Frozen Dead Guy - Nederland CO
    www.FrozenDeadGuy.com is just that. A guy died and is being "kept on ice" quite literally. Donate to the cryonic's fund. (never been, it's on the "some day" list). There are several web sites to toy with, here are two:
    www.frozendeadguydays.org
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Dead_Guy_Days

I suppose if you have never seen a dead and/or dead and frozen person, this might hold a little interest to some people. Seems a pretty ****** up thing to pay to see, though. I have seen/handled enough frozen dead people and have seen enough plain old dead people in various states of being whole that this holds no appeal for me. Hell, I know what dead people and frozen people look like. They look dead a ******* frozen. BFD...

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

my favorite thing in Nederland is the Hessie Trailhead, it's a combo offroad / hike, and lost lake is especially stunning. I posted it as a trip report last summer.

Ended up just taking a quick hike on the Hewlett Gulch trail. Hopefully be headed someplace else tomorrow and Monday. Here's some pics...

Last Online
    14 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Nice photos - good looking dog.

Were there many (any?) other cars at the trail head parking lot?

there were cars at every trailhead out there....it was nuts

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Scott-

As a recent Colorado transplant, you will find this true for almost any easily accessible area in Colorado, especially on good weather days. In the summer time, it gets worse, and this is something to keep in mind. The closer to Estes/RMNP you get in your area, the more traffic and more crowded it gets.

A few notes;
    Generally, the earlier you can get up and to the trailhead, the less people you will see. Coloradans, for the most part, don't like to get up early and start a lot of stuff 9:00 or later, including doing high peaks. Why, I have no idea. We(meaning my friends and I) like early starts with fewer people and prefer to be coming down from high peaks long before the summer lightning storms....
    There is also something we call the "3 mile rule". Again, for some reason, the majority of the people who hike here seem to hike in 3 miles, turn around and hike back. It may be crowded for the first 3 miles, then you turn a corner and wonder where all the people went. In the 40+ years I have lived here, that continues to be true. That is one of the reason that you see so many camping spots at or around the 3 mile marker.
    Anything in RMNP is best done very early. Winter is actually the best time due to lack of crowds.
    The main "tourist season" in between Labor Day and Memorial Day. That is when things get to be a bit of a joke as far as traffic, access, parking and hassles.
    Anything off the I70 corridor in winter, you have to plan on ski traffic. If you aren't heading back from your trip before 3:00, then you have increased your drive time by 2 hours.

There are also some pretty good guide books around, but keep in mind that some are a bit redundant. The snow shoe/X ski guidebooks cover a lot of 4x4 roads that get closed in winter, for instance, so if you have a 4x guide, you don't need the other for the most part. Ditto goes for the mountain bike books...these are also usually on 'multi use' trails.

Here are some information links:

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_2670.asp

http://www.everytrail.com/best/hikin...llins-colorado

Best hikes for dogs:

http://blog.twoknobbytires.com/2009/...t-collins.html

Just some pointers thrown out there for you.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Nice pic's Scott!!
    14ers.com is a great site to gather info about hikes. Lots of killer hikes around my area too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast