4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

Default jeep info

hey my neighbor is veeeeeeeeery new into wheeling only done some rampart range stuff lvl 1-2 on trail damage but he has a yj and i am wondering if any other jeeps share any parts so i can help him look for stuff....akso what would be a good tranny for it as the 5 speed in it is loosing all its synchros....... as in upgrade wise in stead of just a rebuild ....ty much and ill see what more info i can get lol ....oh it has like no offroad mods yet really minus maybe a little lift and tires

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey Robert

Take a look at the information in the Jeep make and model links in TECH. I think I posted quite a few links to good sources for Jeep information including the best tranny swap for an upgrade. I am more familiar with the Cherokees and what stuff swaps back and forth than I am with the regular Jeeps.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

I actually know a bit about this one, I had an 88 YJ for years. The 87-89 are the turds, if it's one of those you probably have the BA-105 tranny. I got over 100,000 miles out of mine and found out there is no point to rebuilding it, it's pricey and weak. I swapped in a T-18a. The transfercase on the 87 is an NP209 or something, it's an early version of the NP231 and is OK, just hard to get parts for and it has a lower spline count than all of the later ones, so swapping it is a ***** unless you do the tranny at the same time. The 88 / 89 is an NP231, but with a lower spline count than the later ones, more is available for this than the 87. 1990 and later t-cases are the same as XJs and ZJs. If it's a 1990 or later the 5-speed is the re-named Toyota / Aisin AX-15 for the 6cyl, AX-5 for the 4cyl. The AX-15 rocks and is worth rebuilding, and there are kits out there to put the AX-15 behind the 4. It's the same tranny toyota used in the early 6cyl toyota trucks. the rear axle is always the D35 boat anchor, I blew mine making a left turn on Lowell Blvd after going up to 33s. Swap it, the bearing kit alone is over $300.00. In the front you have the disconnect axle, you can swap in TJ shafts very easily and upgrade the u-joint at the same time. I went to 4:10 gears in mine by just finding a stock 4-cyl axle, total bolt in swap. If you can find a 95 axle you may get the bigger u-joint too. the carbed 258 of that era is an emmisions spagetti monster, I put in a Howell TBI kit, it's basically a GM 4.3 TBI rebuilt with a simple adapter plate and a reprogrammed PROM. It works great, and if you google it lots of guys have done this with junkyard parts (that's what Howell uses, my computer was dirty and had "91 S-15" in black marker on it when it showed up in the Howell kit). Another trouble spot for all Wranglers is under your butt, the outer rear corner of the driver's seat breaks the floor via a stress crack. I put a 1/8" scab plate on mine, no worries. Also- the clutch master is mounted on the engine side of the firewall, and directly below it on the cab side of the same wall is the fuse block. when the master leaks it drips into the fuse block, causing massive stupidity. you can see it happenning but only if you know to look for it. look under the dash above the fuse block, there will be a drip line and melted paint if it is happenning.

this was mine, sold it but kept the girl:

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    08 Grand Cherokee Overland
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

Yep Java hit the nail on the head. So it really depends on the year and the engine. If I'm not mistaken the BA tranny is French made and the case actually splits in half lengthwise. Hopefully he doesn't have this one.
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ba10_5.htm
    Jim

Here's the 95 YJ I had for seven years. Four-banger and ax5 tranny. That's the wife sitting in there. Still have her.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

otisdog previously posted:
    "BA tranny is French"

Peugeot made this one. Damn dirty French!!