Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

View Poll Results: Do you use wheel or winch locks for anti-theft?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wheel locks: Yes

15 39.47%
  • Wheel locks: No

23 60.53%
  • Winch lock: Yes

8 21.05%
  • Winch lock: No

23 60.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft concerns: Lock the winch, lock the wheels?

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Theft concerns: Lock the winch, lock the wheels?

I'm curious to know the communities' thoughts regarding "making stuff more difficult to steal".

Items in question are the winch and wheels/tires.

Is this an area of concern at all?

I see two areas, each somewhat different, where each person may have a different answer. The first is the location (city/town/burg) the vehicle predominantly stays while the second is one common to the group: what if the vehicle were to be stranded / broken / left unattended (overnight or more) on a trail. Some folks might consider their "home" area to be more or less theft safe than others but the trails are a common area. For the sake of an easy poll, let's not differentiate, what do you do?

As I have a soft top, walk-away theft is always on the list for when I'm parked around town, but for out on a trail everything's "soft top" as glass can be broken with ease with little recourse.

Do YOU use locking lugs on the wheels (yes, another maintenance item as one would need to have one or perhaps two usable lug keys available)?

Do YOU do anything to secure a winch to the vehicle (cable lock it to the vehicle or tack-weld a mounting bolt or two)?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I don't secure anything but do park in a garage. If I couldn't I'd lock everything I could.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Most people either build the bumper to enclose the winch on its own plate so its not accessible without removing the bumper, or they put some good tacks on mounting hardware for the winch security. I don't own a soft-top. I use a lock box center console, mounted to a frame only accessible from inside the lock box. Locks only keep honest people honest.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

I used to have wheel locks on the FJC, until I misplaced the key. That's the bad thing about wheel locks. The winch on the FJC is enclosed in the bumper and would difficult to steal. And it stays in the garage when I'm home.

The winch on the 40 would be much easier, but it's not secured, though it's parked on the street.

Then again, I live in a quiet neighborhood in Longmont.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

I lock everything I can. Backyard gates, house doors, vehicles, tool boxes, etc. But like Chris said, if someone wants it bad enough, it's gone! And I live in a quiet neighborhood in Arvada!

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Personally, the rig with the accessories is the 4Runner, and it rarely leaves the driveway except for trail rides. The winch is tucked into the bumper. The wheels have locks. While in the driveway, I never park it at the end, so someone has to steal another car before they can steal the 4Runner. And we have a 8-camera security setup, with 2 of them designated just for the driveway. Never had a problem, but I take precautions.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

i build everything with the intention of making it lockable... but usually fall short of that final step. Then again, I dont even own the key for the door locks, the rear doesnt lock at all, and there is no ignition key. So I guess I figure locking something like the wheels is rather stupid on my rig. If you steel the wheels and leave the rest of it, I'll count myself lucky.

That said...
    front winch is actually receiver mounted, and I made enough clearance to put a locking hitch pin in it if I ever get around to it.
    The winch itself will ideally have welded bolts someday
    the tire carrier, which holds the spare and 2 - 5 gallon jerry cans, can all be secured with one locking hitch pin - also prevents the cans from being opened and siphoned
    All of my tools inside are in a box, which was designed with the intention of being lockable
    eventually will have a lockable center console.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

okay lets see here i use wheel locks...... i actually hide my wheel lock in the truck and it is tied in that place with some wire (came with a hole all the way through the key) so it wont go bouncing away when wheeling......................... robyn how is ur winch mounted????? mine could be taken off in 1 min or less with a cordless inpact gun... Except!!!! it has a few of the bolts welded over completely so that even if i want it off it will take me probably an hour with a grinder or more to get it off

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

front part of bumper is thick metal ???

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

okie so it seems a little harder then still though maybe not as long as you think since if its something they can break or bend to gain acces they will :(

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

but yes many bought bumpers like that are harder the ARB is ungody hard and then to get the winch out the whole bumper has to ceme off also

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

This is why I have insurance. As someone stated above, if they want it, they'll take it. I have bigger things to worry about.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

I too have bigger things to worry about, and stolen wheels/tires or my new winch are something I want a little extra piece of mind. Yes:wheel locks Yes: winch will be installed with extra security on the new bumper with extra security. Theives look for easy targets. And on the insurance, you need to have an umbrella policy to cover upgrades!!!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

What Jeff (Beefy) said. I have full coverage and that is one of the reasons I have it, plus a full set of pictures of everything attached to or carried in my rig.

I have had too many problems with wheel locks, both on my rigs and other rigs. All it takes is one time on the trail (or anywhere else) finding that the 'key' that you have been babying for years is no longer in the special place and you are faced with trying to crack the nuts to get the dumb as **** wheel locks off to change a tires. One of the reasons I carry a cold chisel with my tools. In 40 + years of wheeling and having winches on just about every rig I have owned, in many different states, in many different neighborhoods, I have never had any issues with someone stealing a winch. Tools, yes. Stereos, yes. Winches, no.

That said, I think wheel locks are a waste of time and money. For one thing , they can be disabled too quickly for they are supposed to do. Pretty much anything that is designed to loosen a rounded off bolt or nut will take them off. You can also drive a sacrificial socket onto them and loosen them. Lug nuts are only on with 70-110 pound of torque for the most part and that isn't a whole lot to bust loose. They are also a real PITA if you manage to lose (or have someone at a tire place simply 'forget' to stick them back where it was supposed to be), the stupid key.

A couple of tack welds on the winch mounting bolts are not a bad idea, either, but a 'tack weld' is simply that. Take a socket, drive it over the bolt head(as in use a hammer), apply a quick and rather savage twist and the tack weld breaks loose. Why they are 'tack welds' and not full welds- all you are doing is 'tacking' something in place.

Chains or cable locks are simply a deterrent, as anything else mentioned. Less than a minute with a battery powered grinder with a cut off wheel and your cosmic cable or chain is now history. A 'Club' can be defeated by simply removing the steering wheel and using a different wheel and or big vice grips to turn the car/rig. Clutch starts or various fuel cut offs or safety starts can be defeated by simply bypassing all of that with a long set of speaker wires with some alligator clips on the end. A 'Krytonite' lock, however strong it is cracked up to be, isn't going to hold together when you stick a bottle jack between the bars and apply 6 tons of force to it.

The groovy bumper where you have to mount the winch, then install the bumper (like the POS ARB style) is only groovy until you find yourself doing this alone one time. After your hernia operation, you will be to the point where mounting the bumper separate from the winch far surpasses the 'security' of this arrangement and will probably never buy an arrangement like this again...

So, what people have said: If someone wants your **** bad enough and it is located in a position where they can spend some time getting it, they are going to get it. Keep your insurance up to date. The insurance people realize the same stuff I just said, too. The times when I have had to abandon rigs overnight (and there have been more than just a few times, too) I have taken everything I didn't want stolen, or couldn't carry, out of the rig, walked off into the trees, forest, bushes, desert, whatever, and hidden the crap, then covered up my tracks. It has always been there when I have returned.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

my wife makes fun of me because I use "The Club" when we're in the middle of the woods... you can take the boy out of NY, but you can't take NY out of the boy. A good way to disable your vehicle is get a padlock big enough to fit over the brake and clutch pedal stems and lock them together. In my YJ I had an ignition cutoff switch under the dash. When I converted to fuel injection I put a switch on the fuel pump as well. With my current Jeep I've gone the Beefy route and carry full coverage, but I still am very careful. being robbed sucks!!!

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "my wife makes fun of me because I use "The Club" when we're in the middle of the woods... you can take the boy out of NY, but you can't take NY out of the boy...... With my current Jeep I've gone the Beefy route and carry full coverage, but I still am very careful. being robbed sucks!!!"

WORD! I have had a house broken into, dog was stolen(dig recover him), 3 vehicles stereo's and systems stolen, 2 custom BMX bicycles, tools several occasions actually(on the job site even!), job radio and duffle bag w/120 cd's, and parts off a couple motorcycles I had, so yeah I take any extra precaution I think gives me more peice of mind.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Being robbed sucks, for sure.

A long number of years ago, a roommate and I were having issues with getting stuff stolen from our cars. Long story short, there is now a wannabe thief running around with a very nasty cross bow hunting quarrel scar on his thigh.

Another wannabe thief got the message not to **** with **** when he woke up in his bedroom in his house with a .45 jammed under his nose and was asked if this was the very last thing he wanted to see in his life. Needless to say on this one, all of the stuff went back exactly where it was supposed to be and we had no more issues with thievery the whole time we lived in that neighborhood.

Another time, also years ago, I was painting an office building off of Colfax and Pearl, back when it was a 'bad' neighborhood. I had walked around to the side of the house opposite of where I was working to touch up a spot, came back and there was a guy that was in a 'sprint position' with a box of my tools in hand. Since the only 'weapon' I happened to have handy and in hand was my airless sprayer, I ran at this ******* and proceeded to spray him down with paint, trying my best to imbed as much into his skin as possible so as to poison his sorry thieving ass. He dropped my tools and ran away with me chasing him until I ran out of hose. He was pretty screwed up...

I have absolutely no tolerance for thieves...They obviously think they are outside the law when they are stealing your stuff, so, in my humble opinion, whatever it takes to deter them is entirely up to you....although if you cross over to the same side of the fence they are on to sort stuff out, you had best not get busted because that is now frowned upon....There should be more wannabe thieves running around minus a hand as good advertising not to steal stuff that isn't yours....

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I leave my keys in my cars most of the time, I dont ever lock my doors, I also run around with my k5 (no top and no doors) with thousands in back in tools and recovery equipment. I havent ever had anything stolen. Well there was one time. We went to a Rockies game and I locked the burb and somebody busted out one of my windows and stole my cb. If they needed it that bad I might have just given it to them. I know, keeping honest people honest.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I run with tube doors all through the regular wheeling season. I usually take everything out that can be easily stolen except for the $30 CB and my XM receiver. Last year some asshat took the XM receiver, probably thinking that it was a GPS unit...Fat lot of good it is going to do them, but on the other end of the spectrum, I no longer have the XM receiver, either...

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

I have over insured the truck and everything on it so if it goes missing it is covered, but still lock everything up! Tack weld the nuts on removable things so to make it a bit tougher and it will slow them down a bit. But having the Dogs also makes a nice deterrent too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast