4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Default What would you do....

So for a while now I have been wanting to build up a dedicated trail rig (but also street capable, since I don't/wont have a tow rig).

I'm more or less open to any make/model/etc I just want to be able to run at least 37's.

So here is where you guys come in. If you were going to make a crawler on a budget (think broke college kid ) what would you do? Any suggestions would be great. Axles, gearing, tires, lockers, rigs (scouts, jeeps, yotas, etc), and anything else that is associated with rockcrawling. There really isn't a budget right now since this is just a pipedream, but i'd like to keep it to things that I could easily find in scrap yards for cheap. I'm not looking to go out and spend thousands on that brand new Dana 44 with 5.29s and a detroit or anything.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

So what would your basic budget be? There are a lot of people's 'project rigs' out there that they have lost interest in and many of them have a huge amount of 'stuff' already done to them. looking around, you can find 'built' Yotas and Jeeps, maybe not all the way finished, but with axle swaps, gearing, lockers, dual cases, etc, for around $4k. This is in many ways a lot cheaper than starting from scratch. Chris bought Frank for around $4k, Haku bought his turn key crawler for $4k or so, Brad bought his Disco for $700. Figure in the fact that you can turn wrenches AND weld and you are way ahead of a lot of the rest of folks out there as far as outgoing expenses go, even if you have to 'finish' someone's project.

You can modify a Jeep or Yota (or for that matter, a Ford, Chevy, Jimmy) to run 37's relatively easily. I would be more concerned with what axles, gearing, lockers are when I started looking.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

You pretty much hit it on the head Pete. I'm thinking if I bought a project rig the budget would be no more than $5k but if I bought a stocker to mod, probably around $2k max.

I've been browsing CL daily, seen a lot of 1st gen 4runners and CJ's on 35/37's for under $5k.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

I paid $3300 for my 87 4runner, already on 37s, sas with high steer, 529 gears, detroit in the rear. It needed some love but was very capable as it sat.

Ill cast my vote for picking up somebody else's project and finishing it out to your liking.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Dave hit it on the head. For example....http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/2656628665.html

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Matt after building my Ranger I would say like Pete & Dave did buy something someone else has not finished but already done a good portion of the work. Even at that you can still go thru what they did and check it out and mod it the way you want, will save some good money that way. If I was doing mine over again I would have bought one already built or started in that direction, but I want a challenge and did not trust some of the work I saw out there at the time.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Matt after building my Ranger I would say like Pete & Dave did buy something someone else has not finished but already done a good portion of the work. Even at that you can still go thru what they did and check it out and mod it the way you want, will save some good money that way. If I was doing mine over again I would have bought one already built or started in that direction, but I want a challenge and did not trust some of the work I saw out there at the time."

Im with Sean on this, as much as i love building things from the ground up and going through and making it 100% the way i want and what i feel is good enough is awesome. However it has lead to a serious amount of cash flow into the projects. Where as if i would have just bought something halfway built i might have a rig to be wheeling with you guys right now. The hardest part about running 37s is the axle strength and gearing. Other than it isnt to bad. Look for something with some full floaters already or good beefy axles and that will be a hell of a start.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Yeah if you would have asked me a year ago, I would have told you I wanted to build it from stock...but now I'm realizing that is just too much work being a full time student with a part time job.

What are some axles that I should be looking for when it comes to handling 37-40's?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Broke college kid with a budget of 5K?

Build the Cruiser Matt!

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Broke college kid with a budget of 5K?

Build the Cruiser Matt!"

5k is the pipedream Chris....that's how much i'm willing to dedicate for it right now haha.

I have been thinking about building up the cruiser. I would definitely want to put a bigger engine in it though. Who knows. I'll just keep saving and see what I can find/decide when I get there.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Drop in an H55F and it'll feel like a new motor, trust me!

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

I built my k5 with a budget of 3k. Rig was only $750 (fuel injected V8 with a rebuilt trans), used 37's on wheels $600, 3/4 ton axles can be had for $250 or less, my biggest expense was my gears and lockers which I have 1200 into. I do most of my own work and scour for deals. Last week I picked up a suburban for 700. 2 weeks before that a cherokee that needed a couple of trans solenoids for 650. My 1994 cherokee i have about 4900 into. winch, arb bumper, sye, sliders, tires, gears, locker, roll cage. Only thing i bought new for it was a set of tires. It was half done and used parts for the rest of it.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I have to admit my FJ55 with a V8 was a lot more fun to drive than the 62 with a 5-speed. I'll amend my comment to dropping in something like Nick says, Chevota!

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Last Online
    October 5th, 2015
    4x4
    96 Bronco, 2005 Ranger
    User Name
    96blkbeauty
    Real Name
    James
    Thanks Given

You have to really ask yourself what you will be using the rig for. How difficult of trails would you want to run with it? A lot of people have overly built rigs for the trails they want to run. "Overly built" I suppose is always a good thing, but why dump a bunch of money into a rig to make it over-capable when you can get by with cheaper parts?

I'd like to SAS my Bronco, put some 37s on there, lockers, armor, exc...but then I ask myself am I really interested in doing trails that require all that? Wheeling is a fun hobby, but realistically I only get out to do it a few times a year. So with a better quality lift, maybe a rear locker, and some armor...I can run most trails i'm interested in running.

Another thing is, I personally wouldn't buy a second project vehicle if you already have one....especially while in college (Yes, I have two. But thats because I love my Bronco too much and can't manage to get rid of it. Even though I think about selling it all the time. If you're the type to get attached to possessions, don't get hooked up on another project). Unless you have a good place to park it and work on it. I picked up my Ranger as a DD, with little intentions of modding it, but it too has become a project vehicle. Meanwhile my Bronco has sat parked in the driveway for the last 1.5 years with little TLC.

Just a few things to keep in mind. But as others have said, if you want to pick one up try to find one thats already been built. People's toys can be had cheap these days. Just takes some time to find the right one. Honestly, if I was trying to build up a trail rig for a cheap price, i'd look into an older Yota, Ranger, or Bronco. Rangers and Bronco's can be had cheap, and they are easy to work on!

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Mporter previously posted:
    "What are some axles that I should be looking for when it comes to handling 37-40's?"

On the Toyota side, you'll want a set of Longfield 30 spline or Trail Gear "Dirty 30" shafts in the front axle.

For Jeeps I'd say At least Dana 44s with alloy shafts to be really reliable with that tire size. A Ford 9" is also a good axle for the rear on 37s.

There is some good reading on rear axles here, however I think he may be a bit conservative. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101345

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

96blkbeauty previously posted:
    "nother thing is, I personally wouldn't buy a second project vehicle if you already have one....especially while in college (Yes, I have two. But thats because I love my Bronco too much and can't manage to get rid of it. Even though I think about selling it all the time. If you're the type to get attached to possessions, don't get hooked up on another project). Unless you have a good place to park it and work on it. I picked up my Ranger as a DD, with little intentions of modding it, but it too has become a project vehicle. Meanwhile my Bronco has sat parked in the driveway for the last 1.5 years with little TLC."

This, it becomes work, work, work, work. If you are going to have 2 you almost need 3 because its not uncommon for 2 to break about the same time.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "This, it becomes work, work, work, work. If you are going to have 2 you almost need 3 because its not uncommon for 2 to break about the same time."

The story of my life. Except at a higher rate.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Fordboy77 previously posted:
    "The story of my life."

Chris, for you it becomes work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, and more work!!!!!!

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

So you want mainly a trail rig? I dig the 60 because it's a 4WD mobile home for me.

For a trail rig I'd either put a 350 in the 60 or build up a K5 Blazer. Then you already have a more powerful engine. Or possibly some sort of Scout, early Bronco or Toy mini truck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast