Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made In The USA? What The Hell Is That?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Made In The USA? What The Hell Is That?

Well, some of us actually remember when America was considered an actual world power (and not on the fast track to becoming an impoverished 3rd world POS nation), exported more than it imported, and actually took pride in the products that boasted the 'Made in the USA' stamp.

Even though I drive a rice burner....and god only knows where the parts to that were made or assembled....I still prefer to buy American made stuff when I can.

Here are some websites that show huge product listing that are actually made in the good 'ol USA. Most of these sites appreciate input from the people that visit them and any additions to what they list:

http://americansworking.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/

http://madeinusaforever.com/

http://www.madeinusaproductsstore.com/

At any rate, if you want to make sure that the product you are paying money for was actually made in the USA and not assembled or made by some people whose language you couldn't possibly speak or understand, in some sweathouse, in some POS country you never would consider visiting given the choice, check out these sites before you buy.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Last year I saw a 70's chinese made movie with Chow Yun Fat in which he was getting a gun from another guy (the movie is set / filmed in China) and the other guy told him something along the lines of "don't worry, it's top quality, made in USA" and pointed out the Made in USA stamp on the gun. Interesting that the writers of the movie, which was clearly not political at all, just incidentally put that in there. It sort of hints at the perception they had of our goods just 30 or so years ago. When I was growing up we had phrases like "cheap plastic crap" and we used "made in taiwan" as a joke to describe cheap stuff that broke. Now it's all plastic and made elsewhere, you're lucky to find Assembled in the USA on things. Reaganomics still at work...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Java previously posted:
    "Reaganomics still at work..."

Yep, eventually it'll "trickle down" to the American people who lost their job when it was beneficial to move manufacturing overseas.

Brody previously posted:
    "sweathouse, in some POS country you never would consider visiting given the choice"

heeeeeey be nice, I come from all those countries! big guys have feelings too sometimes..

lmao

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I have bought MORE than my fair share of Chinese made stuff simply because I had no idea it was made there until after I bought it. They are doing a fine job of not identifying where products are made anymore. Want to help the US economy? research your purchases and buy american.
    I intend to do just that. Good example is I bought a cheap solar panel for my solar setup on my camper. After I got it I found out it was imported by a texas company from China. I recenty read a report stating solar companies in the US are closing due to noone buying their product, of course they make it REALLY hard to find a american made solar panel. I found more sites looking to selll you a whole array than just 1 panel. Sure it is more expensive but in most cases it is worth it.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "heeeeeey be nice, I come from all those countries!"

Reminds me of a past employer who was touting the "Buy American, everything else is junk" while we built stuff from Japanese steel on equipment made in Germany.

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

I also like to buy food that was grown in the USA. Anyone notice how much "fresh" produce (etc.) comes from Mexico, Chile, and elsewhere? Sigh.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I really think there needs to be a definition of "Made in America." I suspect a lot of the stuff labelled as such may be assembled, made with foreign parts/material and not 100% American made with American materials or American equipment/tooling.

as far as I know my Jeep AND my suspension were buit in the north easy US! which makes me happy and I love it... but I am guilty of driving a rice burner (Matrix) and the German "pricy gaskets" vehicle lmao

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "as far as I know my Jeep AND my suspension were buit in the north easy US! which makes me happy and I love it... but I am guilty of driving a rice burner (Matrix) and the German "pricy gaskets" vehicle lmao"

North Easy US sounds like my kind of place Matt!

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

This a pretty decent misc equipment site. While its not made 100% in USA, they have it set up so you can browse USA or Import products separately if you wish do so.
    Wholesale Tool Industrial Equipment and Supply

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Most of the companies/websites I posted seemed to be very concerned that all the stuff was American made and not simply assembled here. There is a disclaimer on almost all of those sites that says something along the lines of "Hey, we try hard to research these products before posting them made in the USA, but we make mistakes". And since it seems like these folks aren't too happy with the state of affairs that exist as far as made in USA goes, and also seem pretty patriotic to boot, they probably try fairly hard.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Here are a few.

AIS. Not everything they supply is USA made, but if you ask for it, they'll get it.
    http://www.aisind.com/

A veteran owned manufacturer of hoisting and rigging supplies.
    http://www.starrrproducts.com/

AW Direct. Once again, not everything they sell is made in the US, but ask for it and they make it happen.
    http://www.awdirect.com/gunnebo-john...d-accessories/

Lexco. Ever wondered if the shackle you're using on that bumper is going to fail. Wonder no more. Proudly made in the USA.
    http://www.lexcocable.com/shackles-s...-shackles.html

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

A few more.

Labonville Inc. These guys are arborist's, but sell quite a bit of American Made stuff for towing and load securing.
    http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp

Lockit.com. These guys supply stuff for bikes.
    http://lockitt.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

BACCO enterprises. More shackles.
    http://bacoent.rfipages.com/category...nchor_shackles

Marine & Industrial Supply. Hooks, shackles and more.
    http://www.marineandindustrial.com/a06.php

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

More rigging and shackles
    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/ USA made as long as its labled as follows "Crosby" if any of the letters are different than that example its a china knockoff

Last Online
    November 12th, 2012
    4x4
    94 Ranger 4x4
    User Name
    Warrlord
    Real Name
    Larry
    Thanks Given

After working at several General Motors Dealers for the past 23 years up until April of this year, I can tell ya that GM uses a lot of parts that are made overseas & lots from Canada & Mexico. At those Dealers I worked, I still had to work on all other brands too. When I got OEM parts, very rarely would they be "Made In USA". GM, Ford, Chrysler, & even Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc, all had some of their boxed branded parts made in places like Brazil, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Ukraine, France, Taiwan, China, Argentina, South Africa, etc.

In the vehicle world, I'm not brand biased, I've worked on too many vehicles for too many years & have seen too many problems on all of them to think one brand would be better than another brand and/or whether it's made in the USA or overseas. But for some of us, our USA vehicles aren't fully made of USA items. And, some are assembled in Canada & Mexico & shipped here for sale. I'm not saying that it's bad or good but it is what it is these days.

It doesn't always work out but I try to buy the USA products when I can find them & will continue to do so.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Thanks for all the info.

I have been making an effort to check my household goods purchases for the country of origin. It is damn near impossible to find things NOT made in China at some of our big box retailers. Glassware is the easiest. Anchor-Hocking, Corning, Pyrex and Libby are made in the US. Don't forget Tupperware. Calphalon One and Lodge pots and pans are made here. Sure, the Chinese stuff is cheaper, but if you buy better, you buy less often.

Here is another link:
    http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/kitchen.html

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Thanks for that info, Stephanie. We're considering getting a set of of Calphalon for our eldest for Christmas. I'll feel better knowing it was made here!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

I think it's just the Calphalon One that's made in Ohio. The rest of the line is made in China.

You might want to look at All-Clad as well. We cook in nothing but All-Clad. It's expensive, but it will last a lifetime (especially for us). We bought a starter set a dozen years ago, then added to it over a few years.

This is from the company's website: Today, American artisans, using American-made metals, handcraft bonded cookware in the tradition that established a new benchmark for professional bonded cookware. At each stage of the manufacturing process, every piece of All-Clad bonded cookware is hand-inspected to ensure that it maintains All-Clad quality standards. This extreme scrutiny slows the production process, but guarantees that every piece of bonded cookware that leaves the Southwest Pennsylvania rolling mill preserves the reputation that precedes it.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Made in America isn't all it's cracked up to be, we're just as capable of producing crap as any other country, the only difference is we expect to get paid more than the other countries who produce the same crap.

Assuming that the product is worthwhile though and the other country's version is crap, I will buy the American version. I will even consider paying more for the same American product if the quality is the same within reason. I first and foremost try and buy Colorado made or companies products and then onto an American made before looking at a foreign made product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast