4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Default best drill press?

Just wondering what drill presses you guys own for metal work, and if you would recommend it or not. I am thinking this is my next tool purchase (its about time) as drilling all this junk by hand just is not working anymore. What do you use, and would you buy it again?

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I suppose while we are on the topic, anyone have any metal bits that they absolutely love?

Last Online
    June 10th, 2018
    4x4
    97 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 4x4
    User Name
    Squshiee1
    Real Name
    Chase Strait
    Thanks Given

i know my uncle loves his, Milwaukee drill press, and he uses DeWalt titanium bits.
    But its quite an expensive set up, i think it was like 900 bucks.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

I am wondering this as well Steve, it is a tool I have always wanted.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

on the other end of the spectrum, I have a small table top one I bought as an impulse item at Harbor Freight, they had them stacked near the register for about $45.00 when I bought a trailer, and I stood next to it so long waiting for them to get the trailer kit out that I ended up buying one, sort of against my own better judgement. It has been a big surprise for me, it works very well and I've used it to drill a LOT of cedar and some metal with no problems at all.

IMO...
    If I had it over I'd get a larger one, or make a heavy base for it. I often clamp mine down to the bench, that works too, but a heavy free standing one would be better than a bench top for both stability and keeping the bench top open.

Mine doesn't have a vice on the work surface, just a flat plate with holes for the bit to pass through that I can clamp too, which can be awkward. I found one to add on, but if I had actually shopped it out and not just bought it on a whim I would have found one with a vice, it's handy.

the best drill bits I've bought are from www.mcmaster.com, that's just an awesome site in general

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

The one I am using is what I could afford. It is a $200 Skil, a brand I pretty much detest, but works well enough so far. It is mounted on a very heavy base which also serves as a mount for the tubing notcher. It replaced the Harbor Freight I was using before and is better. The one I would buy would be the $700-800 Delta with the heavy base, but that is down the road when there is $$ to spend for better tools.

Delta makes some very good shop style tools of all kinds and I have never had any problems with them. Most of the guys I know who do cabinet work or custom wood stuff on jobsites use the big Delta table saws, for instance. I believe that they are still made in the USA which is a boon.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I think most of the newer presses are belt driven. I think that I would personally look for an older gear driven one. Other option to think about is getting a mill. You can then mill custom parts and use it as a drill press as well. Larger machine, but the people I know who have them would never go back.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

For now I use my table top Delta, it does good for smaller stuff but definitely want a floor stand model with a deeper throat on it!

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I was wondering about picking up an older one sean. I borrowed a neighbors craftsman drill press one day, and I simply could not get the belt tight enough to drill through steel. It just kept slipping through. This is kind of why I posted the thread. I would hate to buy one and find I still cant drill a 9/6 hole in 1/4" steel.

Online I have seen very good things about Delta presses.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

If you can get in on one there are always industrial auctions which have this stuff Steve. I went to a couple with a old shady partner I had and the selection was impressive.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Mine does work great for larger holes only draw back is I cannot get a slower speed that it needs for larger bits like 3/4" and up but I just go slower and less pressure until it drills thew the steel. To this day I have not adjust the belt speed up to a faster selection, it has 4 speed settings. Have you checked on CL? I find some good ones on there a lot.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

yea, Ive been looking on CL, and there seems to be a steady flow of good ones, just trying to figure out what I need and should look for before buying one.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Steve, you might want to search around on this forum some. Its a pretty laid back machinist forum with loads of info on equipment and recommendations and such. I've used it a few times for some fab ideas, and equipment research.
    Practical Machinist

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I personally have used just about every brand out there it seems. Having worked from the cheap shady contractor to the one who goes out and buys you whatever you request. And i will say that a lot of the higher end ones are nice, and have great "goodies" but id say most the mid range price, off brand ones work just as good with less "goodies". The lower end ones work ok, but to a point you get what you pay for it seems.

As far as drill bits as anything you get what you pay for. That being said it also depends on if your an excessive force full triggered drill it now guy, or more conservative with it'll drill when it drills half throttle type guy. A little LUBE goes a long way with drill bits though. Im personally not a fan of "Drill Bit Sharpeners" but rather of sharping them myself. If you have a bench grinder its the way to go, its not very hard to learn, and it works 100x than most drill bit sharpeners. Just make sure you have a small cup of oil or water to keep dipping the bit in so you don't re-temper the bit. If the tip turns blue you got it too hot.
    Check out Wholesale Tool Industrial Equipment and Supply You can even filter there site for Made in USA or Imported if you like.

This is by far the best drilling lube i have ever used in my life. A little bit and i mean just dab the tip of the bit in to the fukes type little goes a long way! Its a little pricey but is the best stuff i have ever used. I believe its worth every penny for ease of drilling and drill bite life expectancy.
    Accu-Lube

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

I don't use mine for metal just woodworking, but I really like my Ridgid (Home Depot) stationary drill press: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 Again, I don't use it for metal, but I have used 3" Forstner Bits with it, in white oak and it doesn't slip.

My cabinet saw is a Grizzly which I like as well and I have heard some good things about several of their other tools, including the drill presses: http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=380000

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Mine does work great for larger holes only draw back is I cannot get a slower speed that it needs for larger bits like 3/4" and up

You should be able to get a 110v rheostat and split the trigger line in the drill. Trigger runs the on/off, rheostat will control the speed. I have done that on a couple of different power tools for the same reason with some success, including some hand tools. Radio shack has this stuff. Most of them have a decent dial to turn and mount through a 1/4" hole.

Should actually be able to adjust the speed to some degree with the belt, but I have that same 4 speed belt adjustment on mine and haven't had good luck with it. Always seems to be 'off' what I actually want it to do.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Other thing to keep in mind is that Home Depot and Lowes both take the 20% off coupons from Harbor Freight on tools. If you find what you want new, that is a good option.

Also, the Ridgid tools have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I burned up the motor in my table saw, and got it replaced at no charge. Also gone through a chuck and 2 batteries for the my cordless drill, replaced at no charge. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their drill presses for the warranty.

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014
    4x4
    '87 Chevy V20
    User Name
    Popsgarage
    Real Name
    Jonathan E Epp
    Thanks Given

Steve, looked on Craigslist and found a couple that are good deals.

Floor stand.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2702885960.html

It's a bench top model.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2690832510.html

Really nice floor stand model.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2714314061.html

Bench top.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2699295605.html

Craftsman Radial Arm Drill Press. Title says it all.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2686234043.html

Floor stand drill press, ancient. Delta. For a few bucks restore it and use the hell out of it.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2660398901.html

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, I forgot about the radial models. Those are COOL! Just too bad it isn't a floor stand style.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Patrolman previously posted:
    "Also, the Ridgid tools have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I burned up the motor in my table saw, and got it replaced at no charge. Also gone through a chuck and 2 batteries for the my cordless drill, replaced at no charge. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their drill presses for the warranty."

Those table saws are nice, I have a couple of their tools in my shop besides the drill press, a jointer and oscillating spindle sander, as well as a couple of shop vacs and I like them. They're not crap tools with a lifetime warranty either, they are pretty nice to say the least. My next cordless drill and impact driver will more than likely be Ridgid after I burn up the DeWalts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast