Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spring Creek 9/10/11

Beefy previously posted:
    "Money is always a problem!

I noticed that the Rock Krawler setup is almost $100 cheaper than the Currie setup, but it's not a simple bolt on. I wonder which would be better in my case. I'll probably take you up on your offer for the stock ZJ tie rod in the meantime until I can get the money together for something different. Thanks again!"

Rockkralwer set up goes wheel to wheel vs currie is still the inverted Y design. Currie also still uses ball joints just like stock set up but they are beefier. Price out the door with the extra tre that's needed to complete the rock krawler set up is pretty much exactly the same as currie. At this point its your preference. I like the Heim joints vs ball joints. Mainly because my jeep is so big, the angles are hard on ball joints. Heims hold up just fine. Rock krawler design also puts the tie rod over the knuckle which gives you an extra inch or so of clearance. I have hung my jeep up on the tie rod and hardly even scratched it. Its beef.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "Rockkralwer set up goes wheel to wheel vs currie is still the inverted Y design. Currie also still uses ball joints just like stock set up but they are beefier. Price out the door with the extra tre that's needed to complete the rock krawler set up is pretty much exactly the same as currie. At this point its your preference. I like the Heim joints vs ball joints. Mainly because my jeep is so big, the angles are hard on ball joints. Heims hold up just fine. Rock krawler design also puts the tie rod over the knuckle which gives you an extra inch or so of clearance. I have hung my jeep up on the tie rod and hardly even scratched it. Its beef."

I like the idea of extra clearance. I'm just not sure if I want to modify the existing knuckle. I do like the more simple design it seems that the Rock Krawler setup has. Where'd you buy yours from if you don't mind me asking? Was it a difficult install? I was also going to try to avoid needing to pay for an alignment, but it looks like I might have to do that no matter what.

Beefy previously posted:
    "I like the idea of extra clearance. I'm just not sure if I want to modify the existing knuckle. I do like the more simple design it seems that the Rock Krawler setup has. Where'd you buy yours from if you don't mind me asking? Was it a difficult install? I was also going to try to avoid needing to pay for an alignment, but it looks like I might have to do that no matter what."

I do alignments with tape measure and usually pretty good. The knuckles need to be drilled out to 5/8s if I remember right. The drill bit is close to 30 bucks but I got one so you could borrow it. I can help you install. Not too hard. I bought mine from 4wheel parts but will never do business with them again and don't recommend. I would go directly from rock krawlers website and ask them for tracking number

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Matt, thanks again for the offer, I really appreciate it!! I was planning on going with your tie rod setup for the time being and wasn't planning on buying anything, but my brilliant idea was to search Craigslist last night. Well, I found a brand new, unopened box Currie setup for sale for $100 off the best prices I could find. So, I just picked that up today. I will let you pass on that tie rod to someone else who can use it. That would be a huge improvement over stock TJ!

My install is probably going to have to wait though, since I would need to get an alignment (I guess?) and I don't know how much that costs. On top of that, I should probably get a new steering stabilizer as well since I dented mine.

Anyone have a decent steering stabilizer shock laying around?

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "Matt...I'll take it. Heather and Nick can fight over it"

Excellent idea! Big upgrade.

Scrat previously posted:
    "Beefy...We can take the one off Frank and you can have it. I want a new one anyway!"

Would there be any difference between yours and the TJ one? Why do you want a new one?

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "I don't think there's really a difference, but someone feel free to correct me. I want a new one for no other reason than I want a new one! "

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "I don't think there's really a difference, but someone feel free to correct me. I want a new one for no other reason than I want a new one! "

Based on what I'm seeing, it should be the same, especially since you have a D30 up front as well (although I don't think that really matters). I am reading that I should upgrade the stabilizer because of the bigger tires. My factory one seemed fine. I think I'll take you up on that offer. A non-dented, decent stabilizer is better than my dented one.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "I'll take it off tomorrow! Yeah, that's right, I'd give you the steering stabilizer off my rig....not quite the same ring to it as the shirt off my back, but it'll do!"

I'll be your guinea pig. You just wanted a better excuse to get a new one!

Thanks, I really appreciate it (again).

Also, it looks like the toe-in alignment can be done fairly easily with a tape measure (like Matt was saying). Wouldn't mind straightening out my steering wheel while I'm at it. Or, I should probably say, while Pete's at it.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "When you going to Pete's? I can drop it off there!"

Not sure....have to save up a little bit of cash before that happens.....especially considering this wasn't a planned purchase.

Well, I got 2 almost brand new steering stabilizers. One stock location and one auxilary. I no longer run steering stabilizers. You guys can have them

They are both ranchos, both meant for D30 steering

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Beefy previously posted:
    " it looks like the toe-in alignment can be done fairly easily with a tape measure"

Two pieces of aluminum angle, some paint cans to hold the angle and a tape measure. That's how I toe in the 40.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "Well, I got 2 almost brand new steering stabilizers. One stock location and one auxilary. I no longer run steering stabilizers. You guys can have them

They are both ranchos, both meant for D30 steering"

Not sure what the auxiliary is, but a Rancho would definitely be a step up from stock. Chris, you want to arm wrestle?

Just kidding...stock is what's on mine now and it seemed to be working fine for me.

DrOldUnit previously posted:
    "Two pieces of aluminum angle, some paint cans to hold the angle and a tape measure. That's how I toe in the 40. "

Yea, based on what I'm seeing online, it's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Auxilary meaning secondary. It has a clamp that goes over your axle tube and the other end clamps around the tie rod. That way you have one from axle to drag link (stock) and axle to tie rod (aux)

Haha that's something I wish I did when I started building my first jeep

Well, I have 4 different full exhausts sitting around. One for an 09 wrx hatchback, one for an 04 grand, another one for an 04 grand and one for a zj lol I'm willing to trade all for 1 bmw exhaust..

Oh wait, you mean like jeep stuff? Lol

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Trail just keeps changing! Thanks for the vids/pics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234