Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Spring Creek Carnage

Default Spring Creek Carnage

Josh's drive shaft and my double puncture.

How the heck do you get home/get rig repaired when this happens on the trail... been on my mind lately. I don't know what I would do if something major broke on me.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Plug the leaks, disconnect the trashed drive shaft, go the rest of the way in 2WD and straps. You would be surprised what some of us have driven out on/limped home on. The list is long and trail fixes are as many and varied as time, attitude, tools and spare parts. I usually carry spares of pretty much all the junk I have broken, especially on harder trails: drive shaft, tie rod ends/tie rod, rotor, wheel bearings, hub and spare hub gear, generic leaf and clamps to fix a broken spring, spare set of front axles....AND tools, baling wire, duct tape, etc....

oh sorry to see that man, its a fun trail though, and worth the risk of breaking stuff. the first time i hit that trail was only about 3 weeks ago and i thought see was a goner on that first obstacle but it always feels good to get the heart beating

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Sapient previously posted:
    "How the heck do you get home/get rig repaired when this happens on the trail... been on my mind lately. I don't know what I would do if something major broke on me."

Hey Jeremy, just make sure you go with someone like Brody and you'll be fine!

Works for me!

Whooo....CARNAGE!!!

I found a new main shaft for free and got that fixed this week. Would have liked to do it with an upgraded one, but finances are a bit low at the moment. Should work for now. Note to self, don't try so hard on an obstacle that wants to stuff a tire, has driveshaft contact, and no chance of making it up without taking a different line.

It actually wasn't too bad. It happened at the top of the hard part of the Rock Garden, and I got 3/4 of the way up the rest of it, and the other 1/4 I got a tug or two from the tube buggy. Whatever oil that was going to come out did so in the first few minutes after it broke, so I pretty much just took the driveshaft off and drove the rest of the way home with the transfercase in 4wd (but since there was only a driveshaft to the front it was in FWD). The one nice thing about the rear output on a Toyota t-case is it comes out towards the top of the case, so enough oil stays in it to have it not get too dry in there. We were hauling ass down the Ute Creek area, and I drove it home without incident.

I have a few pictures of the damaged parts that I'll post up too.

Brody previously posted:
    "Plug the leaks, disconnect the trashed drive shaft, go the rest of the way in 2WD and straps. You would be surprised what some of us have driven out on/limped home on. The list is long and trail fixes are as many and varied as time, attitude, tools and spare parts. I usually carry spares of pretty much all the junk I have broken, especially on harder trails: drive shaft, tie rod ends/tie rod, rotor, wheel bearings, hub and spare hub gear, generic leaf and clamps to fix a broken spring, spare set of front axles....AND tools, baling wire, duct tape, etc...."

I try to carry spares too, but this is a hard one to fix on the trail. It broke the end of the output shaft off, and it took me like 7 hours to fix with a lift and a full set of tools. I would maybe do it back at camp if it happened in Moab or something, but its not an easy trail fix. It would be easier if you had a full donor shaft with all the gears and bearings and such, but for me that would mean buying another set of 4.7 gears.

There is a guy on Pirate that is making a rear disconnect so that you can have FWD to do front digs and such. He is going to try and engineer it with a "fuze" that will break before the outputs will. If it works, it could be a nice thing so that this kind of breakage doesn't happen and would have an easily replaceable part that would take 5 minutes to install. Sounds too good to be true, but we'll see.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Yeah, there is certainly a limit as to what spare junk you can or want to bring. It gets to the point where you either need a DAKAR support truck (with it's own upgrades, repair parts and junk) or call it good enough and simply wheel...

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Josh you sure have been doing a lot of carnage this year! Whats up with that?

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Josh you sure have been doing a lot of carnage this year! Whats up with that?"

I wouldn't say a lot really. Only ones I can think of were this and the frame incident. The frame incident only really happened because of a few bad fabbing decisions and the main shaft of the Toyota t-case is a known weak point with dual cases and a 4.7 gear set (dispite some opinions from certain people, with that kind of gearing there is a ton of torque that goes through the system). It comes from trying harder lines and pushing both me and my rig a bit harder then I had been previously.

I guess what most consider carnage, I would consider finding the weak links and part of the "pay to play" aspect of rock crawling. Go wheeling, break stuff, fix it and try to make it stronger so it doesn't happen next time. I don't even consider most of the scrapes and dents and such to be Carnage, and just part of the fun of going wheeling.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    User Name
    GaryG
    Real Name
    Gary G.
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    ".AND tools, baling wire, duct tape, etc...."

Everything but the windshield putherbackinner

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

There was an Xtra cab d-shaft that I posted recently. It was on CL for $10 I think. Just FYI as another spare.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

GaryG previously posted:
    "Everything but the windshield putherbackinner"

I think that's called a BFH.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I guess what most consider carnage, I would consider finding the weak links and part of the "pay to play" aspect of rock crawling. Go wheeling, break stuff, fix it and try to make it stronger so it doesn't happen next time. I don't even consider most of the scrapes and dents and such to be Carnage, and just part of the fun of going wheeling.

Me too. Good excuse to upgrade and then find the next weak link. One of the reasons I run stock hub gears in my front hubs is so that there is (supposedly) a 'weak link' in the front. Weak link actually turned out to be the hub studs, but still running the stock gear....Pricinciple is still there, though.

Scrapes and dents can only really be considered carnage on a new rig with a decent finish. After a certain point, they simply become another scrape or dent and merit nothing more than an "Oh, another dent/scrape."

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

DrOldUnit previously posted:
    " I think that's called a BFH."

Some might say a BFH is about the only tool I know how to use correctly.