4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Default Today didn't go so well

This morning I vowed to remove the crazy flush tee installation left from a previous owner. He ran a hose over the air cleaner. The hard line for the rear heater that is impossible to access was left out of the system. I was going to reconnect everything the way it should be.

The asinine hose and flush tee.

Reconnected everything and cranked the engine. Turns out the small hose on the drivers side firewall had blown out. Probably why the PO just left it in there. My coolant blasted out everywhere. Correct replacement hose has been discontinued by Toyota. PO used 5/8" ID hose which is too large and will leak no matter what you do.

I had no way of getting it fixed without the correct size hose. Have to get a ride to work tomorrow and stop by Fastenal and Napa for new parts.

Where the little hose connects. Lots of crap in the way. Throttle, random vacuum stuff, etc.

So I decided to scrap the rear heat (although I did like the rear heater) and simplify the system. On the drivers side you have to remove part of the fitting and cap it.

Now the fitting just needs a cap.

On the passenger side a new hose needs to be run from point A to point B. No more rear heater lines clogging up the engine bay. I'm thinking the AC might be next to go.

When done it should look like this.

And I found this guy stuck atop my drivers motor mount.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Yeah, dealing with metric hoses SUCKS. They are always difficult to find and using anything else just doesn't fit quite right. With the number of foreign cars here, you would think it would be available anywhere. I guess the only thing more annoying is critters!

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

The one thing that really annoys me is useless crap. Don't get me started on the 2F emissions fiasco.

But on the other side of the engine bay.....do I really need an extra foot of fuel line dangling around?

And the AC system. My AC works and is cold but I never use it. My MPG's are bad enough without running AC. Plus it doesn't get hot enough to justify it. If I was living in Phoenix I might want it. I'm thinking get rid of all these extra hoses and make room for a dual battery system and useful gadgets.

Bummer man! i would bet you could keep the rear heat, and find that hose in a junk yard somewhere. look at everything, honda, isuzu, subaru.

Last Online
    June 25th, 2017
    4x4
    1987 Land Cruiser
    User Name
    ColoRaider
    Real Name
    Robbie
    Thanks Given

Im going to piece out a 60,what hose do you need? I will see if I can pick it up for you.

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

ColoRaider previously posted:
    "Im going to piece out a 60,what hose do you need? I will see if I can pick it up for you."

Well it's too late now. Took out the heater and the lines that run underneath.

I mostly liked the rear heat for keeping things warm while camping. With no rear seats passengers aren't getting benefit from it. I figure the extra storage space will be nice. And if I really want heat in the back a 12V heater will work and not require running the engine.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Its really weird that you can't make the 5/8 hose work. I had a blow out in the exact same spot and 5/8s was the only thing I had in the truck with me and I got my hand forced in there and everythin in place then with the right 1/4in drive extension universal combo I snugged up, and still no leaks 6 months later.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Fordboy77 previously posted:
    "Its really weird that you can't make the 5/8 hose work. I had a blow out in the exact same spot and 5/8s was the only thing I had in the truck with me and I got my hand forced in there and everythin in place then with the right 1/4in drive extension universal combo I snugged up, and still no leaks 6 months later.
    "

Yeah if it takes a midget contortionist to tighten a bolt it's probably best to eliminate it. I hate dealing with tedious stuff like that.