November 2nd, 2013
    4x4
    '01 Toy 4Runner
    User Name
    Newb Tourist
    Real Name
    Jesse
    Thanks Given

Oh man that is one of my fav body styles! Is that a solid axle setup? Sorry if already asked, could not find it... I myself have owned an '85, '89 and '91, really preferred the '91 for EFI!!! edit: all pick-ups, not 4Runners...

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Newb Tourist previously posted:
    "Oh man that is one of my fav body styles! Is that a solid axle setup? Sorry if already asked, could not find it... I myself have owned an '85, '89 and '91, really preferred the '91 for EFI!!! edit: all pick-ups, not 4Runners..."

It is a solid axle up front, its the factory solid axle though. They went to the IFS on the pickups and 4runners in 86, otherwise mines identical from the dash forward as your 85 was.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

You have to love youtube

Its definitely not that easy the first time (or the second or third I'm guessing). They forgot to mention all of the grounding wires, vacuum tubes, wire connections, exhaust, and lots of other little things. hahaa...I wouldn't expect it to go that easily. That said, Scotty at Addicted said there is a dude in Greeley who can have an engine pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck running in the same day (assuming no major machining is needed). It was my first engine thing so it took about 150 times longer for me, but that includes waiting for parts and machining to be done.

Still, I suppose as motors go its not so bad. Definitely harder to put back in, and having skinny arms definitely helps too (the two top tranny bolts are a pain and I literally can't fit my arms and hands in down there). Its a pretty tight engine bay though, so it can be a bit of pain in that way.

It is definitely doable to replace all the gaskets and such with the engine in the truck

Two things to note for ya if you do pull it.

1) Break the pulley bolt before you pull the engine out, as its a pain to do it on the stand.

2) There is one allen headed bolt that holds the intake on that is very easy to strip out, so be gentle. I ended up having to drill it out and get a new one. Its the one that you can barely see and you can't get any normal allen key in, so hopefully you have a long set or a set of allen sockets.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Well the good news is my motor is carbed so that elemented a lot of wires. And has been partially desmoged so there's not much on the vacuum side of life, especially with the weber carb vs the asin. That being side i started today at noon, took an hour break from 2-3 and this is where I'm at.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

The pics didnt take to many as there isnt much being removed at the moment, but here is the motor coming out of the truck! total pull time <2hours!

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    " That said, Scotty at Addicted said there is a dude in Greeley who can have an engine pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck running in the same day (assuming no major machining is needed)."

Id believe it, especially with access to a lift and having all the tools ready to go, I have a very basic tool setup at kateys house so there is some improvising when it comes to getting things done, but i could defiantly see pulling this motor in less than an hour complete with the right tools ready to go. If i had a longer extension i could of saved 20min trying to get the top 2 bell housing bolts a 1/4 turn at a time. Off to get the flywheel off and the motor up on the engine stand!

Sweet...you are faster then I was. I couldn't get the bolts off the exaust manifold lower section, so I just left it in the truck.

I guess I know who to call next time I need to pull my motor

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Sweet...you are faster then I was. I couldn't get the bolts off the exaust manifold lower section, so I just left it in the truck.

I guess I know who to call next time I need to pull my motor "

My lack of tools is defiantly made up in my extensions and universal set with my cordless impact haha. Its also like the 100th motor i have ever pulled in my life too, so that helps.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I ended up taking more time to get the flywheel off than it did for me to pull the motor! Only because i had to wait for katey to get home to hold the second breaker bar to break them damn flywheel bolts. It fit surprisingly well on my engine stand. The one i am using is a 1200# rated one that i normally use for the big block fords. Its funny looking at the stand because it dosent even look like it knows it has an engine on it. The 460s and such give it a lil bend in the upright, and with the little 22r it sits like it would empty! After that i finished up the day by cleaning out a corner and setting up shop in kateys garage.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I also picked up some stock replacement OME front leafs to replace these lovely inverted ones for $50 of CL. Still need to get some stock shackles for the front though. Anyone have a set?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

ClintZ mentioned that he had of (stock??) shackles for the 60 still. Might PM him and see what he actually has. Chris may also have a set buried in his garage somewhere off of his old rig. PM him, too. Also Bruce, EldoradoFJ, may have stashed his.

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "ClintZ mentioned that he had of (stock??) shackles for the 60 still. Might PM him and see what he actually has. Chris may also have a set buried in his garage somewhere off of his old rig. PM him, too. Also Bruce, EldoradoFJ, may have stashed his."

Clint got my old springs and shackles. So if Chris has the springs Clint probably still has the shackles. They probably won't work though since the springs are different widths. The 4Runner has those offset shackles.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Chris

Stop by the house. I have a box of shackles for Yotas-pick ups and 4Runners-and see if you can use anything I have. I am here all day.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I got around to getting the head off today, and it was making a odd "knock" that seemed to becoming from the valve train, and I have came to the conclusion that it was a bent #1 exhaust valve, as I can visually see its bent without even having it removed yet, and there is 0 seal on it which would explain why #1 had such poor compression and quick bleed off!

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Chris did you ever get the Ranger done? I have not seen anything on it in a long time.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

1freaky1 previously posted:
    "Chris did you ever get the Ranger done? I have not seen anything on it in a long time."

No I have not, I've been working 6/10s since I came back from wheatland wyoming and haven't had too much time to get to the ranger. The motor is 100% complete and in the truck, and I've got a 31 spline 8.8 tore apart gettin rebuilt with a cut and turned dana 35 up front, which is supposed to help with the weird angle my springs were sitting at as well as add a boat load of travel and make it a smoother ride. It seems like the reason I'm gettin anythin done on the 4runner is its located closer to home so its easier for me to get over after work and give it a little time. If all goes well ill have most the major stuff done with the runner this month, the ranger on the road next month and the 77 done for christmas.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

I started getting the lil 22r all cleaned up and painted today, and will be dropping the head off at the machine shop tomorrow for a rebuild and possible some new valves and such. I'm hoping to get the head back this week and have the motor back together by the weekend to drop her back in. Then it will be onto getting the suspension straightened out as well as trans/tcase rebuild, and then it should be set for a while.

Last Online
    June 23rd, 2014
    4x4
    97 LX450 / 84 4 Runner
    User Name
    Clint Z
    Real Name
    Clint
    Thanks Given

There is a guy selling a fresh rebuilt 22r head on rising sun 4x4 for $150.

Clint

Last Online
    June 23rd, 2014
    4x4
    97 LX450 / 84 4 Runner
    User Name
    Clint Z
    Real Name
    Clint
    Thanks Given

Sorry, 22re head

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast