4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Default Don't throw those parts away.

When I opened up the brake hardware kit for my rear drums I had several extra parts. There were two sets of the little "nails" that hold the retaining springs. Neither size fit so I had to use the originals.

The final mystery was the two rubber pieces left in the box. When I opened the kit one of them was lodged between the return spring. I thought it was possibly something stuck in the springs that was to be removed. Turns out they are caps for the back of the dust shield. There is a small window above the axle where you can adjust the brakes from the backside. While browsing the net for a new bellcrank I found the plugs listed for $4 each. Good thing I didn't toss them.

I was looking for a new bellcrank due to heedlessly following what seemed like sound advice. In this Landcruiser brake video the guy recommends removing a metal sleeve that surrounds the lever.

Turns out one corner of the sleeve is "dovetailed" into the bellcrank. Took me 2 hours of bashing and grinding to get the thing out. Now my bellcrank has 20% less mass. I also managed to puncture my pinky while hitting a screwdriver with a 2.5lb hammer. Takes a lot of force for a flathead to go through your skin. Hurt so bad I started to go into shock.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Having had both drum brakes 'explode' on the trail, locking up the rear wheel, and drum brake parts missing in the kit or missing after having flown across the room, I usually have a little bag of drum brake crap in my trail kit and in the parts bin in the garage.

Thanks for the reminder!

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

damn that sounds like it hurt!! I had my finger closed in a cardoor once and almost passed out from the pain, my finger turned dark at the end, went to the ER which was luckily a block away. the doc drilled a hole in my fingernail to let the blood out, which was pretty cool.

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Ew. Finger. Ew. Glad you are okay, glad you caught the stuff before tossing.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Fingers and driver bits are fun. I can't count how many times I have buried a Phillips tip into a finger, gloves or not. Straight tips require a certain talent....

Bending fingernails way back is another fine little addition to a day, too. Made easier if you have been working with AT fluid or PS fluid. Chris will attest to this as he did this not too long ago...

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Recommend using a pair of vice grips to hold crew drivers when possible to avoid the wonderful puncture. Granted the same thing will problem happen to me by the end of the week

Last Online
    June 25th, 2017
    4x4
    1987 Land Cruiser
    User Name
    ColoRaider
    Real Name
    Robbie
    Thanks Given

I am surprised I didnt break something when I did the drums. PB blaster has become second nature to me now. I just soak random bolts in it, just in case.