4x4
    04 Jeep Rubicon with 5.5 inch long arm kit
    User Name
    Colin
    Real Name
    Colin
    Thanks Given

Default On board air system

I am looking into putting an on board air system on my TJ, i was primary looking at a power tank system, however i don't know much about these and i don't really want to cough up the money for a brand new tank, is it safe to buy used? Where would i buy used? Also does putting Co2 into my tires adversely affect them? And are there any major issues I have to watch out for with a system like this? And how much does it cost to refill a tank?
    Any advice is much appreciated since I don’t know much about these systems.
    Thanks.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2018
    4x4
    2002 Jeep TJ
    User Name
    coaz4x4
    Real Name
    Peter
    Thanks Given

Sounds like you're pretty set on the co2 system... I don't like them tho... a full tank can be a bomb if it's not well mounted in a roll, and you can run out. I have a York/engine driven... very little maintenance, always plenty of air to go around. Only part I bought from Kilby was the bracket, got the compressor at a junkyard, lines from Grainger, fittings etc. from HD and bought a new clutch from Ryder (van company).

And yes, I realize that on "37 tires the co2 will be faster to fill, but the tank won't last more than a couple of trips, and do you really want to have to get that sucker filled weekly in the summer?

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I've had both onboard motor driven and tank setups and think the tank is the way to go myself. My tank would typically last most of the season filling 35's and expect my new setup to last all season with my current 33's. Ask Josh (Haku) about filling 37's, he used my tank in Moab and IIRC took no time to fill all 4 tires after Elephant Hill.

CO2 has no adverse effects at all. Used is fine but the tank needs to be certified every ?? Years but only costs $20 or so from the same places that ill them. There are tons of tanks on CL these days in the Medical section since CO2 is used in the MMJ grow rooms, don't know how that's influencing pricing though.

As far as the danger is concerned I don't worry any more about it than the 10-20 gallons or more of gas we all ride with. The main component needed is a good regulator. I started with a beverage style regulator but after having issues woth the settings went with a Powertank regulator.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I love the on board system thats in my rig. After MSV and Coney Flats yesterday I re-inflated my 35s as well as the stock tires on Heather's rig in a matter of minutes. Worked great!

I think either route works. Of course I don't have A/C either.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hatz_33 previously posted:
    "I am looking into putting an on board air system on my TJ, i was primary looking at a power tank system, however i don't know much about these and i don't really want to cough up the money for a brand new tank, is it safe to buy used? Where would i buy used? Also does putting Co2 into my tires adversely affect them? And are there any major issues I have to watch out for with a system like this? And how much does it cost to refill a tank?
    Any advice is much appreciated since I don’t know much about these systems.
    Thanks."

I have both the CO2 and the AC converted. I like both and use both. The CO2 is faster and personally I don't think there is enough of any danger level to give it any thought at all, but that is just me. You can buy a filled tank from any welding supply company like General Air Service and Supply. Filling the the 10 pounders runs about $14-18 bucks at High Country, the welding supply places will simply exchange the tanks with you. Sourcing the valves is going to be the hardest thing with these, but there are good sources for them.

I like the York compressors and have had Yorks in at least 10-12 different rigs. They rock, are cheap and almost maintenance free. Junkyards sell the Yorks for around $35 and if you look around, you can source the brackets to work off other junkyard stuff.

I stuck a lot of information in the Tech Section on On Board Air (OBA) systems. You may have to do a Google search similar to this (with the colon):

On Board Air:frontrange4x4.com

The search system on the site is pretty worthless and you probably will not get a single damn result using the site search engine, no matter what you put in.

Last Online
    July 17th, 2015
    4x4
    04 Jeep Rubicon with 5.5 inch long arm kit
    User Name
    Colin
    Real Name
    Colin
    Thanks Given

So after reading all the posts i am still going with the Co2 set up, can some one point me in the right direction for sourcing the valves, and how much is getting a tank to start the exchange thingy with a welding shop?

email this guy. if they still do it, i picked up an all new setup for $200. worked great!

info@formattfab.com

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

While I got my tank from another member (Thanks Marty!) I swapped it with Brody for a tank half the size. After numerous mysterious pegged gauge readings I gave in and bought the regulator from Powertank. Not cheap but top quality.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

and how much is getting a tank to start the exchange thingy with a welding shop?

The last time I checked, getting a filled tank from General Air Service was somewhere around $90. It may be more or less right now, but $100 +-...

$100? with co2? i used a place down on evans and raritan and a 10# tank was $9! any fire extinguisher place will help you out!

$100? wow

$100? with co2? i used a place down on evans and raritan and a 10# tank was $9! any fire extinguisher place will help you out!

$100? wow

and a 10# would fill about 20-22 35" tires from 8-35 psi

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Zukrider previously posted:
    "$100? with co2? i used a place down on evans and raritan and a 10# tank was $9! any fire extinguisher place will help you out!

$100? wow"

I think he's talking about a a filled tank, not a refill for a tank you already have. If I can find a filled tank for $9 I'd buy it as a backup!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I think he's talking about a a filled tank, not a refill for a tank you already have. If I can find a filled tank for $9 I'd buy it as a backup!

A new filled tank from the welding supply will run between $80-100. Then you just pay for the gas when you switch tanks out. No different from any other welding gas tanks. You do a one time purchase for the tank itself.

And if you find tanks for $9, let me know, too, cause I would sure get another one!

Zukrider previously posted:
    "$100? with co2? i used a place down on evans and raritan and a 10# tank was $9! any fire extinguisher place will help you out!

$100? wow"

Red Comet is the name, the bad thing about them is they close at 4pm, hours are M-F 9-5 last tank in by 4 but $12 to fill a 20# tank wile you wait, and they fill YOUR tank.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I prefer Red Comet myself, quick & easy...

Last Online
    May 1st, 2014
    4x4
    1999 Wrangler, 8.8 ELocked 4.56 Frnt ARB Super 30
    User Name
    Errinjan
    Real Name
    Errin
    Thanks Given

I have CO2 now with a onboard viair awaiting hook up. The instructions are a little thin or I'm just thicker than most. I've tried to start installing it a few times, something always seems to come up. I like having the CO2, on Spring Creek a couple of weeks ago a guy lost a bead on the first obstacle. With the CO2 tank we got him going. I guess you could use air as well, I like being able to turn up the pressure.
    I ended up with a tank (through exchanges) that matches the our paint.