Thread: Heather's Jeep Build

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Heather's Jeep Build

OK, it has finally started. Heather dropped off Chris yesterday, along with her Jeep and we started the build on her rig.

The first part of the build was a simple 1 1/4" body lift with the addition of 1" motor lift blocks. We didn't take any pictures, but I am sure either Chris or Heather will post an 'after' shot soon.

Nothing too dramatic, but it did get the body a little higher which will allow for the installation of under armor and larger tires. The body lift was pretty typical and went about as well as any other body lift ever does. The only real problem was a couple of the motor mount bolts that needed a bit of 'love' to get loose.

All of the parts , including all the under carriage armor, were sourced through Rokmen, here in town. The body lift bushings were very well designed and had a 'self centering' design that allowed for the lift to be simply set in place without too much fumbling or wishing that you had three hands. Everything fit very well.

As far as the instructions go, Rokmen suggested not to use the transfer case linkage lowering brackets, but we used them anyway as it allowed for the linkage to be realigned a little better using the first set of holes. Rokmen also suggested that we remove the AC condenser and linkage in order to remove the long motor mount bolt on the driver's side, but I was able to avoid this by simply removing the entire motor mount from the engine and, with some careful(and creative) wiggling, get it out from the engine compartment in order to shorten the bolt that we needed to cut and reinstall it along with the lift block.

Another item on the instructions: On the newer Jeeps, removing the fan needs an SST to hold the fan in place while the fan nut is removed. Not having the SST and not being able to find one (I had previously looked for one when I needed to replace the water pump on the XJ). I had already decided to simply drain and remove the entire radiator in order to drill the new mounting holes for the fan shroud without removing the fan. Since we were adding the motor lift blocks in addition to the body lift, we didn't need to do this step anyway (I had stopped the removal as I figured that raising the engine would negate having to do this-we later actually took a look at the instructions and found this to be true), but I am mentioning this for anyone else doing this sans SST...

Anyway, all in all, a good lift kit with all the needed parts, good instructions, etc. Rokmen is a good company and worth checking out for Jeep Products.

Looking forward to some pics! I don't live far from Rokmen, so I stopped by there and picked up a set of front/rear control arms and they make a really nice product. The guys at the shop were awesome too, I mostly talked to Jeff, can't say enough good things.

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

THANK YOU, Pete! I can't believe it's started. I'll try to get decent pix.

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Congrats Heather! Your Jeep is in good hands.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

Not lame at all!!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "you have to start somewhere"

And it looks like a good start, too.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Not lame at all X 2!

Not lame X7

Hot legs!!!

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    08 Grand Cherokee Overland
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

You are on your way Heather.

Brody - what is the sst you speak of to hold the fan? I'm curious what is used cause I know I'm gonna have to remove the fan someday.
    Jim

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

Yea that's what I figured. There must be some ingenious way to hold that booger w/o a special tool.
    Jim

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hot legs!!!

mmmm legs mmmmmmmm LOL

Whoa guys, you are making me nervous here. Them is my legs and, since you both have met me, you can imagine what my pasty legs look like! I don't even think LaDawn is very impressed with them....

The SST is for the large nut located (and buried) behind the serpentine belt pulley behind the fan. Nothing else is going to fit behind it. It is a classic example of some asshat engineering...

I was unable to locate anything other than the GM version of the same tool when I had to change out the water pump on the 98 Cherokee, but it turned out that that was the old school design, so I didn't need it. You can easily tell if the one you have is the newer design requiring the SST by looking directly down from the top of the fan. If there is a very large nut behind the fan where it connects to the pulley, then you have the new design. If there isn't, then you simply have to lose some skin getting the 4 NUTS (the newer design has 4 BOLTS holding the back of the fan to the coupler) off the pulley. You can get a finger (one) behind the pulley and feel what you are dealing with if you have the newer design. I am sure that you will be just as impressed as I was with that bit of clever engineering.

I have heard that you can put enough pressure on the belt to hold the pulley in place and loosen the nut. We were unable to do so.

Since we were just having to drill new locating holes (turned out with the motor lift , we didn't) in the shroud and radiator frame, I was planning on simply draining the anti freeze, disconnecting the hoses , taking off the shroud and pulling the radiator to do so, leaving the fan in place. Whether or not this would allow you to do something like change the water pump, I don't really know as some of the bolts may be hidden directly behind the pulley.

Auto Zone, O'Rielly's, etc, can probably order the Jeep SST for you easily enough, but I would certainly double check. The GM tool was under $10.

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

I'll be checking my TJ to see what it has so I won't be surprized in the future.
    jim

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Hoping the engine lift helps for the lake portion of this coming Saturday's adventure...that would be a total bonus!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hoping the engine lift helps for the lake portion of this coming Saturday's adventure...that would be a total bonus!

HAHA....me too. That was the hardest part of the whole lift as one bolt was really frozen (of course the one where leverage was at a real premium...) and after we finally got that loose, we had to take the whole engine mount off the engine to avoid taking the AC off.

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Much better. Can't wait to see the end results.

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

Watch this Heather and it will make you feel better about Coney Flats. This was at Miller Rock last weekend. I'm the third one through.
    http://www.traildamage.com/trails/mi...rain_creek.wmv
    Jim

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

And this, too. It is a trail report from last year or the year before of MSV and Coney , has videos and pictures, and there are a few pretty damn stock looking Jeeps on the run. Also Haku's rig before it went under the knife, and Aaron's old 2 door Jeep unit..

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...lats-7-12-2009

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Scrat previously posted:
    "She tends to worry a little if you can't tell, but that's good considering I never really do."

Which means I have to worry enough for BOTH of us. Thanks a lot, CHRIS. :whatAreYouThinking:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

HAHA....I already got a bonk from LaDawn last night from something I said when we were talking on the phone simply because "Heather wasn't here to do it herself", so you aren't alone. Maybe we can ride together bonk free and let the ladies ride in Heather's Jeep....

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

otisdog previously posted:
    "Watch this Heather and it will make you feel better about Coney Flats. This was at Miller Rock last weekend. I'm the third one through.
    http://www.traildamage.com/trails/mi...rain_creek.wmv"

Holee wow. Do all the rigs have modified intakes? Or can my little Jeep really do that? Thanks for sharing the link - WOW!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast