Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Holy Cross

Default Holy Cross

making it a weekend for myself and a buddy. ill be up there early friday, until sunday morn/afternoon. plan to run the trail Sat morn. meet at 8 or 9 am. i have this on another zuk site as well. currently it is just 2 zuks. i love this trail!

should be a great time!

Last Online
    March 28th, 2013
    4x4
    1978 Chevy Blazer
    User Name
    pancake
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Default Scheduled to be bcak AUG 14th

As of now I am scheduled to be back in town on Sunday August the 14th. Schedules do change but I should be there. I plan on going up Friday and staying Saturday night.

Is it ok if I invite a friend from the CK5 forum?

sure. i figure if we haver a huge group, we will split up in to a couple smaller ones. will be good to have ya! love the K5!

im gonna go as long as my new axle set up comes through (gears and lockers)

I have some major work to do since I blew up a ring and pinion on my front axle over the weekend, but I should still be good to go for this. We had a great time on this trail last Friday and it should be a good time in a couple weeks too. I think we had over 20 rigs on the trail that day, and it actually went pretty smoothly in one big long group.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ar...lPg&mra=ls&z=9

here are the directions. you south guys will obviously want to take 24 all the way. i will be camping along homestake road. not sure where exactly, but ill be in just my sami.

see ya there!

Last Online
    February 25th, 2018
    4x4
    08 Grand Cherokee Overland
    User Name
    otisdog
    Real Name
    Jim D.
    Thanks Given

I'd love to go but don't think I can. Just so you know Traildamage will have a few rigs there on the 20th.
    Jim

A small trick for people heading up I-70 and not towing things is to cut across Shrine Pass. It takes 30+ miles and a half hour out of the drive. Just get off I-70 at the top of Vail Pass and look for the only dirt road going west. Stay on the main road (signs pointing to Red Cliff) and it will eventually drop you in Red Cliff, which is only a few miles from Homestake Road.

This saves having to drive down Vail Pass, through Vail, Minturn, and then up Elk Mountain Pass or whatever its called on Highway 24. If you are towing, its may not be your best bet though as the road is relatively narrow and rather bumpy.

There are also some fun alternate trails up there to take, Lime Creek being the big one. Its one of the first trails I took my Toyota on, and besides a few steeper hills its a pretty moderate trail. Goes up through some awesome Alpine meadows and Aspen groves.

Work has slowed to a crawl, so I'm not sure if I'll make this one or not right now. If I do, I would be happy to lead the way over Shrine Pass or Lime Creek if people wanted. Its not that hard to find your way as the signs are pretty clear up there.

thats funny josh, swath said the same thing on ZK! hope you can make it!

Joe just found out my wife made plans on Sat. I will try to change them.

thats cool Shawn. hope you can make it. you get that P/S leak fixed? would prefer you did before you drip in the creek. if not, we can put a diaper on it!

it was just the crush nut, new gasket on the rear third also. I am allowed to park in the driveway now.

hahaha!

looking for a role call so i know who is coming, and if you are camping!

joe

Sorry Joe, I'm out on this one unless I get lucky. I'm having some serious issues with my front axle (no drive to the front wheels even though the driveshaft turns) and unless its something easy to fix or something I overlooked then I think I'm out. It would have been cool to go though and I'm sure whoever goes will have a blast.

ive got some toy front shafts with stock birfs you can buy/borrow. also have some diff spiders. have 2 toy 4 cyl thirds with issues. if it will help, let me know. what locker are you running?

Zukrider previously posted:
    "ive got some toy front shafts with stock birfs you can buy/borrow. also have some diff spiders. have 2 toy 4 cyl thirds with issues. if it will help, let me know. what locker are you running?"

I have all that stuff too, but thanks for the offers.

I have an Elocker without the electric motor (i.e. manual actuated) right now. Did Carnage at the Jamboree and broke a Ring and Pinion, a lockout hub and some other stuff. Swapped in a spare 3rd member I had earlier in the week and did a few other fixes but its still being weird. Its either the lockout hubs being weird, or my Longfield shafts are borked and need to be sent in for warranty. They were really hard to flex back and forth when I pulled them out the other day, so I think the inner star might be screwed or the splines inside the birf are stripped.The diff worked great when I took it out of my rear axle in March, so I don't think its the 3rd member that is bad. If I get the time/motivation this week I think I'll swap in my spare stock shafts and see how they do, but I can't say I would be psyched to do Holy Cross with stock shafts and 140lb. per corner 37" tires and dual ultimate cases.

We'll see what comes when I tear into them again.