4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Default Affordable winch roundup

With Brody building me a winch bumper next weekend I'm going to need a winch for it. So I have started browsing for affordable winches. My price range is in the $500-$700 dollar ballpark.

My rig is a DD and I don't plan on it doing any hardcore wheeling. That being said I don't like being restricted in my movements. If I make up my mind to go somewhere I'm gonna get there. I forsee using the winch possibly a dozen times a year, two dozen maybe? So I don't need to spend $2K on a winch. But it will be nice to have when I need it. This purchase is down the road a ways, lots of other things to fix first.

Here are some of the factors in my selection criteria. Synthetic line, hawse fairlead, low current draw, resistance to elements, reliability and warranty support.

So I rounded up 3 winches that seem to fit the bill. I have a single battery now, rebadged Deka Intimidator from Checker. I plan on doing a dual battery set-up eventually.

Warn VR8000 $480

Superwinch LP8500 $620

Smittybilt X2O 8 Comp $600

Let's look at gear ratio's. The Superwinch has 235:1, Warn 215:1, Smittybuilt 180:1.

The Superwinch has the lowest current draw with it's 4.5HP motor. The Smitty is a 5.5HP, the Warn HP is not listed but I would assume 5.5HP based on the current draw. The Smitty current draw isn't listed but I'd assume it's close to the Warn.

The Superwinch has a "Weather-Sealed Solenoid and Circuit Breaker Protected", the Smittybuilt is waterproof supposedly. Warn is just basic as far as weather resistance is concerned.

The Smitty has a synthetic line and hawse fairlead. Superwinch has wire and hawse, Warn wire and roller.

Out of these three the Smitty unit seems to have a lot of nice features. Being weather proof is nice and so is the synthetic line. But when you get down to the nitty gritty details of reliability and the guts the Warn and Superwinch are probably a better choice. The price advantage clearly goes to the Smitty unit. My second choice would be the Superwinch with a synthetic line added later. The Warn would actually tie the Superwinch if not for the higher current draw.

Any thoughts?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Best bang for the buck is probably going to be a Super Winch. They are good, work well and are priced cheaper than the more expensive Warn winches.

There is a very good and complete review in one of this month's 4x4 rags. They cover all the available winches.

Stay away from BullDog. Tabors are made by Warn, just a cheaper version. Mile Markers are comparatively priced to Warn winches. There are now quite a few winches on the market, so the magazine article is probably going to be a lot more up to date that my information in Tech. No one I know using any of the Super Winches has been disappointed in their performance.

I posted a bunch of winch junk in the Tech section.

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Take a look at Recon. They're getting popular on some of the forums.

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Best bang for the buck is probably going to be a Super Winch. They are good, work well and are priced cheaper than the more expensive Warn winches. "

Been leaning towards the Superwinch. Seems like a solid unit. I guess winches are another "buy once, cry once" item.

Warn M8000. Pretty much the industry standard for affordable winches.

All of those will pull you out no problem. They make a $400 version of that Smitty winch too, and the only difference is one has Synthetic Winch line and the other has steel winch line. The only bad things I've heard about the Smitty ones is that they tend to be a bit slower then others, but pull just as hard. I agree that Superwinch makes some really nice winches and would definitely include them at the top of my list of new winches. That said, that Warn VR8000 looks like a hell of a deal. They have made that basic winch pretty much since they started, so it has to be pretty decent. Not sure what they did to make it cheaper then the other 8k winches they sell, but its gotta be pretty good still. I imagine its similar to the Tabor winch and they just decided to put the Warn name on instead.

The coolest thing about Warn is that you can still buy any replacement part for any winch they have ever produced, so even if something breaks 20 years from now you'll still be able to find parts (assuming they are still in business then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were). I have 70/80's era 8274 winch from them and had to replace some stuff and it was just a matter of talking to a Warn dealer and ordering the parts.

I am seeing the chinese manufactured winches become much more prevalent lately. Good news is that they seem to be built fairly well and are competitively priced. I think the Smittybuilt one is Chinese made, and they are a couple other company's like Viper, Rough Country, and the new Harbor Freight ones that all sell very similar winches for about the same price. I bought a wireless control system from Viper and its been working out great. Came with the solenoid and everything, just had to attach 3 wires and a figure out a way to bolt it down. Works great (range goes beyond the length of my winch line) and has never failed to work. They make a couple winches that have it built in already and its a very nice feature.

In my experience, a winch actually seems to be a pretty good investment beyond being very useful and sometimes necessary for safe wheeling. They tend to hold their value fairly well and if you sell your vehicle or just don't want it anymore, you should be able to sell it for a pretty decent rate. So to me its definitely like you said "buy once, cry once" and its worth buying a name brand if you can afford it. Since we are speaking of used, its worth looking on Craigslist for used ones too. Just make sure all the parts on there, and make sure to hook it up and try it before you buy too. Motors, solenoids, and brake components can be replaced, but they can get a bit spendy to replace so its worth buying one in working order unless its a killer deal.

Oh, and the last thing I might mention is that they all pretty much mount to the same pattern, so you don't really have to worry too much about that. The only winch that doesn't mount like the others is the 8274 since its designed with the bolts facing forward, rather then most other winches having the mounting bolts facing down. Even so, it still uses the same pattern just in a different orientation.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

The Smittybilt XRC8 (8000lb) is $299, and the XRC10 (10,000lb) is $399.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Here you go, Bruce:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...-Testing-Sites

The Smittybilt XRC8 (8000lb) is $299, and the XRC10 (10,000lb) is $399.

and since you don't have the lightest rig in the world, running a 10k winch is going to be a plus. An 8k winch will certainly work, so don't discount that, either. I have pulled/used my 8k Warn on a huge lumber truck, a 60 cherry picker, a 9,000 pound Dodge and, whereas it may not have been really happy at the time, it got the job done. The next winch i ever buy is probably going to be a 10k, though.

The only drawback I have heard/experienced about the Super Winches is that they have a serious draw (pun) on the battery/alternator, more so than most other winches. Nothing wrong with the waterproofing stuff at all, though all of the winches that I have ever owned have been seriously used and abused and had no issues, no matter the make or model. I have never paid any attention to the line speed, either, mainly because I never enter competitions where that is critical. Either the winch is going to pull you out or it isn't and, to me, if you are already pulling line, then you are stuck and not going anyplace too damn fast anyway...

Don't bother with anything except Warn, Superwinch or Ramsey. These chinese winches come and go. I can buy parts for a Ramsey that's 30 years old.

I like Ramsey with steel line.

Superwinch and warn are awesome, too.

if you are still looking, i have a warn x9000 ill sell ya for $700.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

We're hoping to do a winching-clinic at the "Save the TA TAs" Run that has yet to be scheduled. Maybe you could check out the different winches that will be in-play at the event and that will help you decide what to buy.

Pete just installed my Warn 8000. I have no opinion on it yet since I haven't even had the chance to do the initial "stretch" that is required. I'm hoping to get one of the neighbors to meet me in the local school parking lot to accomplish that task. (Heather/Skrat - can I pull you out of that very torturous and dangerous middle-school parking lot pot hole??)!!!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

$700 is a good price for that winch! I had one on my FJ62 and it always performed well!

on my last rig, I had the Warn 9.5TI, LOVED it, on my rig now, I dont have a winch, Ill save for the Warn,, sometime you get what you pay for, lol (not always) Im leaning towards the VR line.

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

As others have stated, with the good brands, Warn and Ramsey, the support for parts is excellent. I have an 8274 model that is about 30 years old. Every part is still made for it and it is 100% rebuildable. You can't go wrong with that.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "$700 is a good price for that winch! I had one on my FJ62 and it always performed well! "

That's the one I got now....never had to use it, except to stretch the cable.

its a GREAT winch! very fast too. i just need a pickup, and so im selling off some stuff to do so.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2017
    4x4
    2001 Jeep TJ Sport and 2002 SD 250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
    User Name
    Geno
    Real Name
    Gene Blohm
    Thanks Given

I have 3 Warn winches currently, OMy truck a 9500 and Robert B. has a Hummer m6000 built up to a m12000 and my back-up is a 1986- 8274. I have owned 3 previous Warn winches also, never let me down and all work great, I will always support Warn winches, Caddies cost more than chevys , sometimes peice of mind costs a couple dollars more.

Last Online
    June 14th, 2018
    4x4
    '06 Land Rover LR3 & '12 Jeep Wrangler
    User Name
    Titus
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

I have the 12k Warn Winch on my H1 and find I used it a lot more often that I would like. It is one of those items that when you need it, you will be glad you spent the money. I also suggest synthetic line. I just replaced my steel line with synthetic and it helps tremendously for winding and strength.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2018
    4x4
    2002 Jeep TJ
    User Name
    coaz4x4
    Real Name
    Peter
    Thanks Given

I have an older winch that came on my jeep... can't speak much to the shopping end of your endeavor, but the synthetic line, and a good hook in my opinion are CRUCIAL

Got my hook from ROCKSTOMPER... good local people. Best $50 I spent... and get the line protector on the Syn line!

http://rockstomper.netfirms.com/shop...s/ilhook01.jpg

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I have used my Warns/Ramseys ever since I started wheeling in the late 60s for everything: tearing down buildings and walls, building pole barns, moving large pieces of foundations, pulling stumps, stringing fencing and a lot of 4x4 related stuff. I have always used either the Warn or Ramsey winches as my winches get a lot more than occasional use. This is also something to take into consideration when purchasing a winch. If you are going to use and abuse a winch, you need to step up in quality. If it is going to be used for the occasional "pull out you or your buddy" you can get by with a cheaper one.

To paraphrase Geno" Peace of mind comes at a higher price". I can't comment on the synthetic line as I have always used and prefer steel line. Having done technical climbing for 40+ years, I am very familiar with nylon/synthetic ropes and exactly how long it takes to wear one out. When I am climbing a lot, I go through 2-3 ropes a year. I cannot imagine synthetic ropes lasting longer than steel line (and I have never had to replace a steel line on any winch I have ever owned) using winches as often and as hard as I do mine, so I will probably continue using steel. If it were for competition use, if I had a super lightweight rig, or if I had a sponsor to replace the ropes when they got worn or damaged, it might be a different story, but when you can pick up a steel line that is brand new for $60 that came off a winch when someone replaced it with synthetic line, then I am just going to smile, give my wallet a break, and laugh at people shelling out the $200 + for synthetic line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast