4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

Default independence bunker hill

went up independence this weekend, and made it, but not without some damage. i'll post some pics of me going up soon.

ok some pics of the carnage:

and my lovely blocks that are being removed:

and the birf.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Dang, body damage and a birf. Did you do a birf replacement on the trail?

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

no, luckily it broke at the very top of bunker hill so we winched up from there and winched up freedom trail

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

some of me going up:

there is video also, just have to wait until the person uploads it.

are you gonna weld in some steel blocks in the rear or get some lift springs????

cool pics. 4runners with crumpled 1/4 panels are the coolest mods!!!

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

im actually going to lower it down and cut the fenders out some, that way I can lower my COG

Damn dude, looks like you had some fun!

That truck is badass

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Nice pics guys! Looks like Aaron needs to update his "latest carnage" on the front page!

4finger previously posted:
    "4runners with crumpled 1/4 panels are the coolest mods!!!"

that makes me the biggest BAMF on the site right? Lately I've been questioning myself as to why exactly I am repainting my truck.

Mesomelas previously posted:
    "Lately I've been questioning myself as to why exactly I am repainting my truck"

so........
    i completely finish the bob on my runner, to include the topper and a neat little tailgate mod so i can have an easily removable tailgate (with a working rear window), on a friday. now- while i was cutting up the truck for the bob i tried to cut out most of the dented areas or at least hammer them back kinda straight. when i was done i had only a baseball sized dent on the drivers side right at the spot where the tail-light bends to meet with the truck body. cool- im happy, i mean it took a few extra days of work to make it look "better". 30 minutes into the trail this happens.

honestly i dont mind it being a raisin. i was just hoping to have a "nice" looking truck for more than 12 hours!!!!

foxtrot previously posted:
    "going to lower it down and cut the fenders"

are you just gonna take out the blocks in the back or actually lower it also. im anxious to see the end result. though i like my trucks looks and abilities, i do get a little scared just making a corner in town. i feel like its about to roll all the time. (not really, just a joke on how high my truck sits)

He's gonna get some 13" daytons and some airbags

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Dang. I wish I had a truck I could just beat the piss out of and not worry about it affecting my work.

4finger previously posted:
    "are you just gonna take out the blocks in the back or actually lower it also. im anxious to see the end result. though i like my trucks looks and abilities, i do get a little scared just making a corner in town. i feel like its about to roll all the time. (not really, just a joke on how high my truck sits)"

Mine was sitting at 28" to the frame with my big tires on, and just before the March Moab I lowered the rear a good 6" by taking blocks out, frenching the spring hanger into the frame and making 2" shorter shackles in the rear. This was in anticipation of linking the rig in the front and trying to get it to 22" to the frame. All I can say is that just going with my wider Tundra axle and lowering has made a noticeable difference in stability. I never felt particularly tippy on the roads, but on trail it would lean quite a bit on the off camber bits. That is gone now and its much nicer. It still has some lowering to do too, as my rear springs are contacting the frame on the solid end and I'm sure that makes a difference. I was a bit worried about break over angles and such too, so I shortened my wheelbase to around 112" or so (from 117") and that seems to have made things better. One other thing that helped a bunch was making my shocks more vertical in the rear. They used to be 45 degrees or so towards the center of the truck and now they are almost vertical. A bit harder to do with a 4runner, but I think it is one of the things that made the biggest difference.

See...plenty stable in its current configuration....

Part of me really wants a "pretty" truck, but its also nice to not have to worry about it too much. I'm really looking forward to having an exo cage on it, since that will limit some of the worry. My goal for now is to have my truck a single color, since the whole mismash of colors looks a bit crappy (in my eyes at least). A while back I drove it to a job and one of the guys I was working with called it a "hoopty", which would be nice to avoid. All I gotta say is avoid doing this....

Looking good though Brad. I watched an S10 with an SAS get up the Exit of Carnage without assistance yesterday, and its really making me want to get on those harder trails. Might be time for some Penrose action here before long. Good to see some carnage on something that isn't too hard to fix but still makes for a decent story.

down to 22 inchess?????????

24 to 26 is average for yotas with 4 to 5 inches of lift. your gonna be cutting out alot of fender!!. i guess thats the good thing about having the flatbed. if i cut anymore out of my rear im gona have to re-tub the rear wells. once i get a trailer id like to look into just tubing the rear of the runner- making it look kinda like a truggy. to give me better manuverability in the tight spots, better shock mount options, less weight, and look cooler. i guess i can dream huh?

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Nice pics guys! Looks like Aaron needs to update his "latest carnage" on the front page!"

Yeap. This is definately the carnage of the moment!

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

video:

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

A while back I drove it to a job and one of the guys I was working with called it a "hoopty", which would be nice to avoid.

Whoa....SOMEONE CALLED YOUR RIG A "HOOPTY"????!!! Boy...I sure would be getting like, for sure, really in their face about THAT ONE, by golly!

Who gives a **** what someone else calls your rig? Not worth even thinking about...That's junior high crap....if that....

Hahaa.... I don't REALLY care what people say and the guy wasn't really being derogatory but more "breaking balls". It doesn't really bother me, except I kind of agree with him. Definitely working on getting it all one color at least. Wheeled with Scrat today and REALLY like whatever the PO used on the CJ. Scrat is gonna ask what the stuff is so I can go get some myself. I like that its nice and textured and hard, but doesn't scrape you skin off like some of the other textured bead coating stuff does. I think its just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of Scrat and carnage, he definitely had some today. Reports will ensue in the appropriate places

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

So, the seats stained a little? Nice vid