4x4
    1991 blazer
    User Name
    Coonburger
    Real Name
    Joshua
    Thanks Given

Default Rear axle question

i have a detrioit locker in the rear and ive noticed bout a quarter turn of slop in the rear end. doesnt howl or nothing fluid is clean as a whistle. From what ive been told that is normal especially for a first gen detroit. this true or should i be worrying

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

This is actually normal for a Detroit locker. The inherent design of the Detroit locker needs a few degrees to rotate, which is multiplied by your gear ratio. The higher numerically your gears are, the more the the rotation needed. This is also the cause of the rather abrupt loading and unloading of the Detroit that people get all tweaky about, again because of the design.

I have had lockers or spools in every 4x rig I have ever owned since 69 or 70, all of them driven on the roads and trails, winter and summer. I don't even pay attention any more. Someone asks me how differently a locker drives than an open diff, it is hard for me to answer mainly because there isn't that much difference. It is just a 4x...People get way too wrapped up in the BS about lockers vs open vs posi BS in my not so humble opinion.

Last Online
    September 12th, 2018
    4x4
    Suburban
    User Name
    southpaws3
    Real Name
    Big ED
    Thanks Given

x2 w/ brody plus which service are you in ?? alot of the older military vehicles had detroits in them due to the ease-when servicing them ,and the abuse they can handle.

Last Online
    September 14th, 2022
    4x4
    1991 blazer
    User Name
    Coonburger
    Real Name
    Joshua
    Thanks Given

i did 6 years in the airforce, 4 year contract with a 2 year extention so i could go back to iraq with my troops one last time. total of three deployments between iraq and aph. i was security forces and got lent out to the army and marines alot for convoys fun times being under a different branches command. and thanks for the info just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna have to learn how to rebuild my rear axle just yet lol.