Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Man drives car into Grand Canyon and survives...

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Default Man drives car into Grand Canyon and survives...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...73Q6OP20110427

(Reuters) - A man survived with injuries after driving his car over the south rim of the Grand Canyon by accident, authorities said on Wednesday.

The unidentified driver, aged 21, was treated for nonlife threatening injuries in a Flagstaff hospital on Monday after plunging 200 feet over the lip of the mile-deep chasm, a spokeswoman for the Grand Canyon National Park said.

The driver, whose name is being withheld pending completion of an investigation, was saved from dropping further into the canyon after his car struck a large pine tree, spokeswoman Maureen Oltrogge said.

"He was an extremely lucky individual," Oltrogge told Reuters by telephone.

The incident came to light after a visitor to the park called authorities on Monday night to report that he had found an injured man in the roadway near the Twin Overlooks, just short of the canyon.

The man told the visitor that he had accidentally driven his vehicle over the canyon rim. The visitor called the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center and reported the accident.

The driver told park rangers that he had extricated himself from the car, climbed up to the rim and flagged down a passing motorist.
    Park rangers subsequently located the vehicle lodged up against the pine, and are developing a plan to remove it. An investigation into the incident is being conducted by the National Park Service.

The Grand Canyon is one of the top tourist draws in the United States, visited by 4.5 million people a year.
    Around 6,500 vehicles enter the park each day in the summer season, according to www.nationalparkstraveler.com, although Oltrogge said instances of cars plunging into the canyon are rare.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

In December, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report cited the Grand Canyon as second in the nation among national parks for suicides. The CDC report cited 11 suicides and 10 attempts between 2003 and 2009 at the park along the Arizona-Utah line.

Looked for some pictures, but found this instead....

Maybe someone who watched 'Thelma and Louis' one too many times.....

The hell was he thinking? "Gee I wonder if my radio...AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" lol

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I never intervene when someone wants to commit suicide...world's too crowded as it is....This guys is obviously going to get another chance....

Take two: Thelma and Louis II

Last Online
    November 13th, 2015
    4x4
    Suburban 454,dana60 14bolt,locked .coiloverfront,
    User Name
    tonkatoy
    Real Name
    Bill ENGLEWOOD DRIVESHAFT LLC
    Thanks Given

That is why I dont try to commit suicde I would screw it up. and Tomarrow is a new day

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

tonkatoy previously posted:
    "That is why I dont try to commit suicde I would screw it up. and Tomarrow is a new day"

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Seriously, I've met a few suicide survivors. It's not worth the risk.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

HAHA...I know at least 4 people who have gotten very serious about suicide and have found themselves alive. Three have been from gunshots to the head. These people now have a somewhat 'altered perspective' on both life and what they see in the mirror. Chris has met one of them. He lives down the street. Gunshots to the head tend to do some serious damage...

I have had more than a few close friends decide to simply check out. They were very serious, too, since they are no longer on this plane of existence....

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Crazy, this entire thread is just crazy.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Well, the obvious reply to that is that you would have to be crazy to contemplate suicide, but I have never felt that was the case. Always seemed like a viable option if you were that tired of living to me, and you do not have to be crazy to get tired of being alive.....

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

In December, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report cited the Grand Canyon as second in the nation among national parks for suicides. The CDC report cited 11 suicides and 10 attempts between 2003 and 2009 at the park along the Arizona-Utah line.

Since 1870 there have been a reported 48 suicides in the Grand Canyon. Interesting....Nothing like a view that "Takes your breath away" "Killer view!" also comes to mind

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Good comments here. Actually, if you search, you can find that the statistics exist because a lot of people do pick national parks to be their last view. If I had terminal cancer, I could see "getting lost" in Arches or Canyonlands.
    I think Bernie was on target though...inattention is a more common cause of mayhem.