4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Default Front Axle Truss

I haven't been around for a while but I thought I'd post up my newest project on my XJ. I've been wanting to do a truss on my D30 for a while but couldn't justify paying $300+ to Trex Offroad for something I could probably do myself for cheaper. Plus, I can't see spending too much more on a D30.

I recently picked up some 35" MTR's in the old tread pattern and figured that if I wanted to keep the axle alive with the 35's then I'd better beef it up a bit. I never broke anything with my old 33's and I'm fairly easy on the skinny pedal so I figure I will be ok.

I had an old D30 laying around for the spare shafts and used that to mock up the truss before I pull the one from the XJ to weld it on. First I cut off the factory upper control arm mounts and used some cardboard to make a pattern for the front and back of the truss. A couple hours with a grinder, hole saws, and drill bits later, here is what I ended up with, all out of 3/16" plate (wish I had a plasma):

All tacked together:

Sitting on the mock up axle:

I ordered 2 bushing cradles from JKS for the upper control arm mounts and made some tabs for them:

While I was at it I decided to replace the lower control arm mounts with some from the same 3/16" plate. I also added skid plates to the front of the lower mounts. I had these on my factory mounts and beat the crap out of them. Sorry, forgot to take pics of the lower mounts.

Yesterday I pulled the axle off my XJ, cut all the mounts off, cleaned it all up and started to weld the truss on. I went slow, weld an inch wait 10 min or so, hoping to not warp the housing, and finally got it all welded up this evening.

You can see in the pic that I also added gussets to the inner C's, it's probably overkill but since I had the grinder and welder out I figured why not. Hopefully I can get it painted tomorrow and back under the Jeep Saturday. The only delima I have is weather or not to weld it to the center section, I have seen alot of them welded but Trex says not to so it in their install instructions. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

In all, I have about 16 hrs in the truss and less than $50 in materials. I picked up the plate at K&K Surplus for $.50/lb ($21) and the bushing cradles were $27 shipped from Northridge4x4 (cheaper than direct from JKS, however they were drop shipped straight from JKS, go figure). Not too bad I figure, no to see how well it holds up.

Dave

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

really nice work man. I can imagine how long that took you with a grinder and drill bits. :clap:

For future reference, I have a plasma if you would ever like to use it on future projects.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

That's nice Dave! Did you happen to save any patterns?

FWIW, I wouldn't weld to the diff housing, the truss should add the strength you need. Welding cast involves heating the cast material. Parts that are not structural can be heated with a torch and welded with a high-nickle rod (90 series rod). The work I do requires structural cast to be welded by shops that have an oven that will bring the part to temp for welding, and hold it at temp for several hours after welding.

I don't know if the knuckles are cast or forged, but I would think forged.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

The only dilemma I have is whether or not to weld it to the center section, I have seen alot of them welded but Trex says not to so it in their install instructions. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Shouldn't have to weld the center if you have both sides welded to the axle. I don't know why Trex suggests not to, but you have accomplished the what the truss is supposed to do. I don't think I have welded any Dana axle trusses to the carrier housing, but since I don't have one sitting in front of me, I can't tell you why off the bat. I have chased the weld all the way around on Ford 9" and Yota axles, but was dealing with mild steel...

Gusseting the inner Cs isn't overkill. I don't think there is much you can do on a 4x4 rig that gets used that is overkill. Call it cheap insurance....

Looking really nice and strong!

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

For future reference, I have a plasma if you would ever like to use it on future projects.

Thanks, I'll definately take you up on that if I need one in the future!

That's nice Dave! Did you happen to save any patterns?

Yup, I need to make new ones because I changed them slightly as I cut them out but I do have them.

Thanks for the input on welding to the center, guess I 'll leave it alone.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

Good job, that looks nice and strong.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

That turned out Nice Dave! I hate welding cast especially when you do not have the right equipment to warm it properly.

Truss looks awesome! great job! ;D

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I got it painted today and I'll be putting it back under the Jeep tomorrow. I'll get a couple more pics then.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Got it all back together today. I cycled the suspesnion to full stuff on both sides and the whole axle up the bumpstops and everything clears! I wasn't too worried but you never know....

Here's a couple more pics.....

Here it is with the new, to me, 35's...