4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

Default BFG KM2 or Cooper STT????

I can't decide between these two for my 35s. The STT look better in my opinion, but the KM2s are BFG so very reputable. Both have 3 ply sidewall. I can get the both for the same price... Im stumped..

What do you guys think??

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I opted for the KM2s on my last tire purchase. One of the reasons was that no one has anything bad to say about them and they seems to do well on all sorts of terrain, including the highway. I may not be the best person to comment on this simply because my rig isn't a real daily driver and the fact that I have had 40-50 sets of all sorts of big off road tires in my lifetime, both good and bad. I have also run a lot of BFG tires and have nothing bad to say about them.

I also never base any tire purchase on 'looks', but concentrate on performance, but, then again, take a look at my heap....

I would go to this site:

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3

and read their unbiased tire reviews of the tires that you want. They seem to have the best reviews of anyone that I have found and aren't associated with any tire manufacturer.

Last Online
    July 14th, 2017
    4x4
    '97 FZJ80
    User Name
    RidgeRunner
    Real Name
    Dave
    Thanks Given

Go with the KM2s. I ran a set of 33's for the last 2 years and was never disapointed. They did great in the rocks and were good on the road as well. I had about 25k miles on them when I sold them and they had just about 1/2 tread left so they seemed to do well milage wise also. The only reason I sold them was because I got a good deal on some used 35" MTRs.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

KM2'S

Last Online
    May 24th, 2017
    4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

haha sounds like this forum likes the KM2s. The guy at discount tire told me the STT was a better tire... I walked in there ready to get KM2s but then he said that...

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Don't listen to a tire salesman. He probably gets a spiff for selling Cooper tires. I have yet to hear a complaint about the km2's.

I would get the Coopers. The carcass is much stronger than the KM2s, for sure. The BFG might have slightly better rock traction, but I simply don't know. That said, the STTs are likely to excel more in all other conditions, including the highway.

I still love the KM2s, but only if they can beat the STTs, the MT/Rs and Toyos at pricepoint.

I've got KM2's on my fullsize Dodge. I used it as a DD for a long time. Absolutely no complaints. They're very quiet on the highway and stick well to pavement (considering their a mud tire). I'm not getting the same wear ridgerunner did though. I've got about 15k on them and they are half tread. I'm hard on tires though, I like the skinny pedal. That said, I have never tore off a lug on the trail. A couple quarter sized chunks are missing here and there, but nothing serious given how I drive. They have done well on every surface I've put them on except snow/ice on the trail. I've never completely aired them down though so I can't accurately rate that. I don't rock crawl, but I do tend to drive like a baja racer and they have far exceeded my expectations.

There was a thread on here about the TreadWright KedgeGuards, They seemed to get decent reviews and cost considerably less. I don't think I would buy anything but BFG tires though.

I personally would consider the newest Goodyear MTR over the STT as an alternative to the KM2. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but its hard to beat the KM2 for a good all around tire that leans towards offroad. Only downside to them is not as good in the snow, but thats pretty much true of any Mud tires so you can't count it against it. I've been pretty impressed by the Goodyear MTR Kevlars, and thats where I would go with a daily driven Mud Tire. I also know that Kyle (Blackrubi) on here has been very happy with his Treadwright Tires, but they are cheap because they are retreads.

Haku previously posted:
    "I personally would consider the newest Goodyear MTR over the STT as an alternative to the KM2."

The biggest advantage of the MT/R or STT will be the snow performance. Both are siped and have better all-season grip. The GYs are coming in about $30 more than the BFGs around here, though.

Last Online
    June 12th, 2016
    4x4
    Colorado Z71
    User Name
    BlackRubi
    Real Name
    Kyle Payne
    Thanks Given

We all know what I'm going to say....TreadWrights!

Last Online
    May 24th, 2017
    4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

Well im gonna go with the STT or KM2. You guys aren't making my decision any easier!!!!

Last Online
    May 24th, 2017
    4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

I think the STTs look mean!

buy the STTs!!! We need more data on these. The KM2s are definitely pretty good. I want to find out if this technology has really panned out.

Last Online
    May 24th, 2017
    4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

So i talked to another discount tire guy. and ordered the KM2s. Should be on by Saturday! Then an axle swap in the rear and re gear.... quite the weekend for the jeep!

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

You will not be disappointed!

I am saving up for my next set already.

I love my KM2's and have wheeled them very hard with good grip and no problems. Like em on road too.

Last Online
    May 24th, 2017
    4x4
    (YJ -RIP, TJ RIP) F150
    User Name
    ccbruin
    Real Name
    Alec
    Thanks Given

Ok. Here's the question now... should i buy the certificates (blow one they replace it free) or not? total it would be $100 more with the certificates

yes, blow one at a time and you get free tires for life. Also, if anything happens on a trail most likely the tire will not be repairable so you're out 260$ instead of $25.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Ok. Here's the question now... should i buy the certificates (blow one they replace it free) or not? total it would be $100 more with the certificates

When I got mine, we were dickering and they threw the life time warranty in for free (yeah, right, but I didn't have to physically pay for it...) I simply told them that I could go down the road and get these tires, mounted and balanced for this price and they matched the price, plus the life time widget...I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise mainly because I have had so few tire related problems on my wheeling rigs, or any other vehicle, for that matter, in the last 10 years or more. And I spend a lot of time on construction sites...

Keep in mind that almost all of the people who have blown a tire or have had tire issues, have been running a big tire on a too wide a rim. Very common mistake to make, too, like a 35x12.50x15 on a 10x15 rim, as an example. Most tire manufacturers will have a chart that shows rim sizes that the tire you want needs to fit on. There is a reason for that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast