4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Moab

I never get bored when wheeling in Moab but want to throw this out as an alternative while there.

Last Online
    December 9th, 2021
    4x4
    2018 JL
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

No freaking way.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

that's insanity. I wonder how they get out of that canyon, aside from just climbing their way up the rope again.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "but want to throw this out as an alternative while there."

I'll do it if you do it first, seriously!

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Know you're always safe with that kind of statement Jock!

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

No thanks.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

It's just a big swing, it'll only hurt for a split second when you smack into the wall or canyon floor. Unless of course, you scrape one of the walls with a leg or an arm.

Yeah I knew I would be safe with that statement, besides I would have had no shame putting on the harness and watching you dive off first only to say, "no thanks I will pass".

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

That's a possibility when I decide to end my life - my heart would stop as soon as I left solid ground.

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Hmm.. no.. I would like to see my son grow up.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I will take you up on that Jock. Lets do it.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

wtf. Pucker factor too high for me. But that is fun to watch. wow.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Looks like the thing you would do if you were taking a break from climbing, were pretty bored and wanted to do something fun. That same canyon and same anchors are used when people slack line across it, if I am not mistaken. It looks really familiar as I think I saw a video of Dean Potter slack lining it awhile back. Dean Potter is pretty much the preeminent slack line walker in the world,not to mention one of the best rock climbers.

Looks more fun than anything else and setting it up is no different than doing a tyrol across a river. It is also about as safe as that is going to get with multiple anchors, etc. If you really managed to mess things up, you could always ascend the rope to the horizontal one with Jumar style rope ascenders or prussics of some sort..not a big deal. But, that is 40 plus years of rock/ice climbing and a bunch of climbing falls that were as long or longer than the 50-70' they were dropping in talking. Not for everyone I am sure, but I am also not a big fan of stuff like this where there is absolutely no skill involved and anyone can do it (I mean, after all, is there any skill to jumping off a cliff? About as much skill as it takes to wreck a car ...BFD...) Basically a cheap amusement park ride...

If you look at the swing, you would also see that there is little danger, if any, of hitting one of the canyon walls...and, if you did, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal unless you somehow managed to crack it with your head. What do you think you hit at the end of the rope if you take a big climbing fall? A mattress? Dan Osman, another famous climber, was doing jumps like this a long time ago from cliff faces, tied into multiple ropes. Of course he neglected to allow for UV damage (watching videos of him, I got the impression that, although he was a really good climber, he wasn't the brightest bulb in the box) to the ropes he had set up the season before, and jumped using them. Found out all about UV damage and nylon ropes, too....Here is a video of Dan, aptly titled "Dan Osman, the last huge jump of his life"

http://fliiby.com/file/344286/k5bmml5ont.html

Here is a video clip of Dean Potter doing a slack line in Yosemite. He also did the canyon where the people were swinging. This, at least, takes some talent and is a bit more than being able to simply jump off a cliff face safely tied into a rope .....

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

scout man previously posted:
    "I will take you up on that Jock. Lets do it."

You first, I promise I will be right behind you!

Steve obviously didn't read post #7 in this thread, but that's okay!

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

i read it, it just didnt change the fact that I would like to do it!! It looks like fun to me!! However, Petes video makes me start to question it a bit. Then again, i would be far more interested in the "swing" like was originally posted, then the freefall of death deal.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Oh yes, the swing looks pretty safe to me and a fun thing to do.And, like I said, it looks like what climbers would come up with out of boredom on a 'rest' day. The unprotected slackline walk is a bit over the top. Dean is one of the premier soloists in the rock climbing world, having multiple solos of El Cap, Half Dome (once both in a day) along with a number of other hard un roped solos to his credit. Not too many people line up to duplicate his slack line stuff, though there are many who have done solos of El Cap, Half Dome, etc. Needless to say, he is right up there at the top when it comes to some of this stuff.

Like most people when it comes to the soloing, unprotected slackline 'fun', you end up reading about them when stuff doesn't go right. I was no great surprise to anyone when Dan Osman pancaked himself when his old and UV rotted ropes broke. He had been pushing the limits for quit a few years.

Looks like the link to the first one of Osman is messed up. Here is another one of his big jump off Leaning Tower in Yosemite, which is, just as it's name implies, leaning. I did this climb years ago, sometime in the late 70s, early 80s as a straight up aid climb and it took us a couple of days. One of the nice things about this particular video is it shows him using rope ascenders (typically called jumaring, though Jumar is just a name for one of the many companies that make these) to ascend the rope back up to the jump point.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9126202492665#

One of the other videos links is Dan speed soloing a 400'+ route. It is worth watching and is at normal speed. I think he did this is 40 seconds or something. I have done that particular route a bunch of times as we usually stop in Strawberry, Cali to climb at Lover's Leap and this is pretty much the first climb we do there as a nice warm up. We do it roped and break it up into a couple of pitches, so it takes a bit longer. Fun route, though, and a great warm up for the harder ones.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

OH HELL NO! to either one of them.

Curious to Steph's reply with her fear of heights.

Last Online
    February 28th, 2018
    4x4
    95' Bronco
    User Name
    Fordguy77
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Thanks Given

Id do it on 2 conditions. It looks pretty fun, and cant be any worse than riding the ball on a crane.
    1. I can see and inspect the anchor points.
    2. The lifeline would have to be independent of the swing line(not sure that would work too well)

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Id do it on 2 conditions. It looks pretty fun, and cant be any worse than riding the ball on a crane.
    1. I can see and inspect the anchor points.

Most of the people that do this stuff (rock climbing, etc.) aren't idiots, but even after 40 years plus of doing this, I always double check the anchor tie ins and my buddy's harness stuff. Doesn't take but a second if you are familiar with this junk, and certainly a good idea. Also watching someone go first (like avalanche chutes) ain't a bad idea to see if something is going to go wrong...

2. The lifeline would have to be independent of the swing line(not sure that would work too well)
    The way they have that set up, it would be almost impossible to do, same with the slack line stuff. The geometry of the swingline doesn't allow for a separate life line, nor would you be able to 'belay' something like that simply due to the fact that you wouldn't be able to take the rope in and out fast enough. Better have a decent main rope. My guess is that the main rope is at least doubled for that reason, but it would depend on who sets up the system to begin with. This isn't the kind of thing that gets left in place for everyone to use as they see fit, but is set up by the people who are going out to do the swings, much like the slack line set up. You are going to have to have a decent knowledge of climbing rigging in order to equalize the pull on all of the anchors, knowledge of climbing knots, harnesses, basic fall principles (it is a fall...and knowing how to fall properly is as much a part of climbing as the technical climbing part ), how to set up a Tyrolean Traverse(as that is what you are setting up), knowledge of jumaring and how to ascend a free hanging rope, etc., not to mention a pissload of climbing ropes, probably both static and dynamic, though all dynamics would work OK, too.

Safe enough, at any rate. I have also seen videos where they used a rig as a back up system to the fixed anchors and also to tighten the main rope...

Brody previously posted:
    "I am also not a big fan of stuff like this where there is absolutely no skill involved and anyone can do it (I mean, after all, is there any skill to jumping off a cliff? About as much skill as it takes to wreck a car ...BFD...) Basically a cheap amusement park ride..."

Its a hobby, lighten up Pete. Not everything you have to do in life requires skill or talent. If these kids like jumping off of cliffs tied to a rope, more power to them. I guess they could be at home making, selling, and doing Meth. Lighten up bro.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

If these kids like jumping off of cliffs tied to a rope, more power to them. I guess they could be at home making, selling, and doing Meth.

Too true. If I had activities like this available to me instead of really, really BORING water sports when I was growing up, I probably wouldn't have gotten in half the trouble I did....simply because I wouldn't have been bored to death...But that was what growing up in Florida was all about: boredom, watersports, old people and citrus trees...oh...and tourist attractions..Hard to find legal stuff to do that provided an increase in heart rate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast