Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery Anyone?

My first thought was stolen/abandoned. Hopefully it isn't pillaged and left for scrap by summer.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Seriously...

That picture reminds me of pics one of my old co worker had from this time working in Antarctica.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

If that rig belongs to a Rising Sun member, then I would imagine that RS folks will organize a recovery run. If not, then maybe we can offer to do it, but that would reflect pretty badly on RS if they can't get enough folks from their group to help with a recovery of one of their members rigs. Anyone on the RS forum can post any updates. If it was this forum, the rig would have already been recovered before they closed the pass.......

I just re read the article about the frozen woman in Minnesota that Chris posted. Take a really good look at what she is wearing. Figure that she was driving around in Minnesota in the wintertime with sub zero temperatures (or at least extremely cold). Now take another good look at what she is wearing for winter in Minnesota. Personally, I do not have any sympathy for someone who isn't bright enough to carry extra (or not even extras....maybe just a winter coat) winter gear in a place like that. Darwin has some good points to make. People that ignore the basic stuff get what they deserve.

Most of the 'rescues' that I have done that involved stuck wheelers (luckily not from this group, and mostly from getting flagged down on a road somewhere), the 'wheelers' have been in a spot, usually alone, that they shouldn't have been in in the first place, they were woefully unprepared as far as clothing, recovery gear, extra food or water, and basic knowledge of anything regarding the outdoors. Most of these were younger people, in t shirts, with no jackets or warm cloths, no knowledge of first aid (there were usually some broken bones, cuts, separations, dings and bruises), etc., and alone. They usually didn't have sense enough to start a fire, even though they had plenty of matches/lighters and smoked. They were all almost universally unraveled to the point where they weren't even especially rational.

I emphasis this a lot, and am going to do it again here:
    Be prepared.
    Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
    Carry extra cloths, food and water.
    Carry a first aid kit and know the basics of first aid.
    Carry a compass in addition to your GPS, plus a map that shows elevations, not your crappy MVUM
    If you go out alone (which I like to do, BTW, hiking, rock/ice climbing, snowshoeing, wheeling) be prepared to 'suck it up and deal with it' if things turn to ****. See 'be prepared'.

It isn't the end of the world if things go wrong, even if you have something broken or dislocated miles from help....if you have the right mental attitude. It isn't a big deal to have to spend an unexpected night out....if you have some minimum survival gear/skills....and the right mental attitude.

Someone like this woman, dressed for a Minnesota winter in her cute mall clothes, pretty much deserves to die simply due to stupidity in my book. I don't think I would have wasted any time trying to thaw her out simply because she might, at some point, reproduce. We have enough stupid people around already....

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

I'd go and recover that, hell yeah!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I'd go and recover that, hell yeah!

Keep in mind that automatically 'recovering' a rig doesn't mean that it is yours. If you were to simply 'recover' the rig and take it somewhere, you have basically committed grand theft auto as the rig either belongs to the owner still or is now owned by the insurance company.

Remember a few years ago when a bunch of folks on the forum went out to recover a member's rig that had been stolen and driven off the trail, found by the FS, and left all winter long? The owner said (more or less) that he wasn't interested in it, recover it and keep it if you want to, insurance paid for it, etc. So a bunch of folks got together, spent a bunch of time and money to get the rig, then, when all was said and done and the rig was safely located at another member's garage, the owner decided he wanted it back..

I remember that mainly because it was a really crappy, cheap, and ugly piece of business on the part of the owner, and still think so. Shitty way to do business. I think you should remember this rather well also, as I think you helped with the recovery...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

The owner is not a RS member and the LC has been there since October. I linked the RS thread earlier and they're discussing a hike to check it out and see if there's anything they can do to mitigate the damage thst's been done and that will happen with the freeze thaw cycles coming. Everyone appears to agree that it's not feasible to try to recover the truck until Spring.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "I'd go and recover that, hell yeah!

Keep in mind that automatically 'recovering' a rig doesn't mean that it is yours. If you were to simply 'recover' the rig and take it somewhere, you have basically committed grand theft auto as the rig either belongs to the owner still or is now owned by the insurance company.

Remember a few years ago when a bunch of folks on the forum went out to recover a member's rig that had been stolen and driven off the trail, found by the FS, and left all winter long? The owner said (more or less) that he wasn't interested in it, recover it and keep it if you want to, insurance paid for it, etc. So a bunch of folks got together, spent a bunch of time and money to get the rig, then, when all was said and done and the rig was safely located at another member's garage, the owner decided he wanted it back..

I remember that mainly because it was a really crappy, cheap, and ugly piece of business on the part of the owner, and still think so. Shitty way to do business. I think you should remember this rather well also, as I think you helped with the recovery..."

I know this, I was looking at it in a much more lite hearted/joking mood.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Definitely good to know that they made it ok and no one was stuck in the unit.

Brody previously posted:
    "If that rig belongs to a Rising Sun member, then I would imagine that RS folks will organize a recovery run. If not, then maybe we can offer to do it, but that would reflect pretty badly on RS if they can't get enough folks from their group to help with a recovery of one of their members rigs. Anyone on the RS forum can post any updates. If it was this forum, the rig would have already been recovered before they closed the pass......."

Brody,

As stated in another post here the Cruiser is not a RS members and that should not matter. Were are a big family in this sport and i have seen hands come from long distances to help those in need. Should not matter what forum you are on. I am sure if he knew about these it would not be up there no matter who or what forum or club. By saying if it were this forum it would not be up there is a poke saying we are better then others to other clubs and forums wheather you mean it or not. Maybe we should have the Forest Service have this info not just the towing companies that are offering to help retrieve a vehickle. Not going to get politickal here but the guy is not a member to any club but is friends with Co Worker of a RS member. Friend of a friend deal. And to say one of us would of had him out may be jumping. Weather is so unpredictable here. Though possible a storm rolled in the next day and that is why the tow companies said not till spring. The driver had a buddy from out of town with him who wanted to see some of what colorado was about and that is where this all started. The driver is in a wheel chair and got into a situation up there and could not get out safely. He also admitted to the mistakes he made. One of them being not knowing of the support he would of had if he did call on our community of wheelers, RS, FR, and there are others i am sure. RS has been working out the details of getting him out but if anybody has a resource here that may help i dont see them turning it down. Weather is playing huge role but we have folks waiting and ready when it does break. If you want to keep up with the updates or have something to offer chime in on the RS link above. And again Brody not picking a fight just my .02 as i have seen this sport change so much over the years from just clubs to online clubs but the one thing that remains is we are all family here.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

No argument, Kenny, and no argument about pitching in to help. The point I was making is that most groups tend to do their own recoveries and it he was member of any specific group, then that recovery is already in the works. Recoveries work the same way as rescues. Get too many people involved and it takes twice as long, doubles the confusion and there end up being way too many bystanders.

If someone knows how to get in touch with this guy or gal, then by all means do so and there will be people here who will step up and help out, including me if time and money allow. If 50 people want to go and recover this rig, then count me out as I have seen way too many Chinese Swarm Screws when it comes to rescues of any kind, people or rigs.

Brody,

I understand the chinese fire drill all to well. Since the owner is not part of a group RS has stepped in to try to recover it and handle the recovery effort. I don't want to get politickal but that is the recovery effort at this time from what i understand. Right now there are only a few folks working on the recovery with plenty of volunteers at the ready. More to the fact that the area and conditions take certain equipment, skill and knowledge. I don't think you will see me up there with a Soft Top that has plenty of gaps and only a few good snaps holding it down and no heat trying to fight the 60 plus winds even though my rig maybe more than cable to help on the extraction. RS has discussed getting up there by hiking, snowshoeing or skiing in and get the snow out of it and plastic wrap it to try to mitigate the damage till it is possible to get up there and pull it out. Just keep an eye on the RS thread and like i said if anyone has resources that may help please post up. See you on the trails.

That's pretty dang scary to think about "what could have happened" but I am glad the owner is safe/alive. Equally interesting to think of the (apparently) solo-hiker who found the thing... guess he knows what he's doing; hiking above treeline in winter conditions and so on. If I found that, I don't think I would have opened the doors either... a little too spooky. At least the guy is owning up to his mistakes and not trying to pass off the blame; here's hoping he applies what he's learned on his next trip.

>>Dan

Looks like the 80 has been rescued. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...oderators.html

Plopped in a new battery and drove it home!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Pretty cool, some RS folks did it the other day: http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...ad.php?t=15082

27 pages worth of yapping about it, really? I didn't think it was that much of a big deal. But, I guess they had to be over anal about every last little detail almost down to what they were going to wear...

Last Online
    December 15th, 2022
    4x4
    '13 JK "Linus"
    User Name
    Heather
    Real Name
    DRT GRL
    Thanks Given

Wow, that's a really entertaining story!

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

I just can't believe that yoda was not stripped down to the frame after being there so long. Does this mean there is hope for the human race? Or is Mexico all filled up on yoda parts?

Last Online
    1 Day Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

SOOOO cool that noone messed with it. RS did a great job of recovery. Glad it turned out to be so easy and that the owner has his truck back in good shape.

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

SCRubicon previously posted:
    "27 pages worth of yapping about it, really? I didn't think it was that much of a big deal. But, I guess they had to be over anal about every last little detail almost down to what they were going to wear...
    "

But still, good job RS!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast