Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Years Eve project - Good idea or Bad idea

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

What Steve just said. At the most, you'll have to drop a control arm bolt to get the droop that will allow you to put the new springs in....or simply unbolt the sway bar. Coils in the rear are the same 90% of the time. Unbolt the sway bar, FRAME up on stands, push up on one side, have buddy insert spring. Move over to the other side, stand on top of wheel or hub, bounce and have buddy insert spring...Rear technique sometimes works well on the front, too. At any rate, not rocket science...

Of course, I have never done any of these....

Last Online
    June 26th, 2022
    4x4
    94' toyota PU, 89 yj
    User Name
    94ToyBear
    Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks Given

If you have ever felt DEATH WOBBLE you will not want to do this before run. trust me i did a lift on the same jeep pretty much at a shop i was at about 3 years ago. i thought i was going to die ! when the Death wobble started in. i did not know what it was at the time and learned real fast, what it was. you may need to relocate the track bar a wee bit. im not sure on a 1inch lift but the 3 and i believe 2 inch you need to.

p.s. toe might also be need to be tweak a weeee nit too.

check out the vid of death wobble

Fatboris- Swapping springs is easy to do. you probably won't need the spring compressors but it may come in handy for the rear. I had no experience doing things like this (I've only changed oil/plugs and stuff like that), but I installed my 2.5" BB and swapped for higher rated springs at the same time. The compressors came in handy for the rears, but again, you may not need it if you are just swapping springs.

What are the numbers on the springs you have and the new springs you got?

Disco swaybar, remove lower shock bolt, jack it up (one side or both will work), pull tires, droop the axle (use your jack on the bottom of the diff to control axle droop - be careful of the break lines) and you should have enough space to swap out the springs. if needs be you can loosen the trackbar bolt on the axle side, but it shouldn't' be necessary. (however, it would be a good idea to loosen front and rear trackbar and control arm bolts, swap out springs, put wheels back on so that the jeep is now sitting on its own weight and then torque every thing back down).

Depending on how much lift you get out of it you may have to re-center your steering wheel, which is by using the turnbukle on the drag link. I can walk you through that if it needs be.

I'm trying to find the install instructions I used, here are some which are ok http://www.jeepfan.com/projects/teraflex-jk-25bb2.php This is for install of the BB, but it should give you an idea of what to do.
    just swapping out springs should be about a 2-3 hr job.

If you have any questions PM me!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Pretty much what Josh(Clam) said. Read the instructions, then take a good look at what YOU DON"T HAVE TO UN BOLT.

Like he said, with the frame supported and the axle at full droop, you can probably push down on one side or the other and remove the stock springs. You may be able to do the same with the after market ones, too. Just take a very close look at the stuff that is attached, and I think you will be surprised at how little you really have to do to swap them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12