User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Mod For The Day

Jim previously posted:
    "ooooh - I like this idea!

Just went to measure the YJ - 5'9" back window to dashboard - 6' if I move a bit higher to get above the dash to the windshield glass (though the back window slants inward).

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you (soft top sealed enough to keep mosquitoes out?)."

I am not particularly worried about mosquitoes on this trip. I suppose the Jeep is not sealed well enough to guarantee bugs won't get in, but I haven't ever had troubles with bugs in the Jeep when I have the top and doors on during other long trips, even week-long trips in Moab. I don't see why sleeping in the Jeep might be worse for bugs than all of the ways I've used it before.

Here's some more detail on how the platform works:

View from rear without mattress in the way

Main storage area underneath to front seats

Extension for sleeping. The extension is held to the main platform with some 3" screws that I drop into through-holes through the extension piece and the 2x4 at the front of the platform. I secure the screws with wingnuts from below. This keeps the platform from slipping off the 2x4 or trying to pivot up on the dowels that support the extension further out. The dowels are 1" cut to length. I used some metal shower rod holders (the kind that are full circle rings) screwed into the bottom of the extension to keep the dowels in place. I can simply pull the dowels out when I lift the top extension to store it.

As for the main box, I did not make it the full width of the body tub on purpose. The rear seat brackets sit at the edges of the floor, and I did not want the box to have to sit on those brackets nor did I want to make some fancy cuts to try to bridge the upright pieces over the brackets. The upside of this is that I am able to use the seat brackets to secure the box into the Jeep. I put a hitching ring (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...3324/205883077) on the outside of the box on each side directly above the seat brackets. I then used a turnbuckle and some s-hooks on each side to link the hitching ring and the seat bracket together firmly. The entire Jeep moves when I push or pull on the platform now, so I'm pretty confident it won't come loose and hit me in the head while I'm on obstacles in Moab. The turnbuckles mean I can easily unmount this from the Jeep any time without permanent modifications.

2. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Tank15 (October 2nd, 2020)

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Paul previously posted:
    "Awesome! I use a similar mattress and adding one of these underneath made it much more comfortable, fwiw https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Thick-E...01NCEUNU1?th=1"

I have a similar mat that I will use on this trip -- a high density foam mat that we used to isolate out treadmill from the floor when we had a treadmill. I am considering cutting it to fit the top panels when I make a more permanent version of this later. The mat offers both padding and slip/skid resistance.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,411 Posts

open_circuit previously posted:
    "I don't see why sleeping in the Jeep might be worse for bugs than all of the ways I've used it before."

It's my thinking that mosquitoes can smell carbon dioxide and human sweat. During the day, the jeep's moving - but at night, doors and windows closed - the jeep not moving, I'd think those human smells would seep out through gaps in the soft top - which could be the path in.

That's my thinking - I hope you report back that you had no issue (and then if I do this, I might not have an issue - mosquitoes love to attack me).

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "It's my thinking that mosquitoes can smell carbon dioxide and human sweat. During the day, the jeep's moving - but at night, doors and windows closed - the jeep not moving, I'd think those human smells would seep out through gaps in the soft top - which could be the path in.

That's my thinking - I hope you report back that you had no issue (and then if I do this, I might not have an issue - mosquitoes love to attack me)."

The Jeep sleeping solution worked better than I imagined. I used some bug netting over the front windows, but I left the back window unzipped and just loosely tucked in all night. We never noticed a bug in the tent in the evenings any night we slept in the Jeep. The back window could let even very large things in if they were determined to get in, but I didn't notice anything coming through.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Fantastic!

Thx for the update.

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Installed USA Standard (Yukon-made, as far as I can tell) chromoly axles with new spicer U-joints today. Also got notice that my new hard top shipped, so I should have that in a couple weeks.

8. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Tom (December 26th, 2020)

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    '12 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5" lift, 33s, winch
    User Name
    Tom
    Real Name
    Tom
    Thanks Given

open_circuit previously posted:
    "Installed USA Standard (Yukon-made, as far as I can tell) chromoly axles with new spicer U-joints today. Also got notice that my new hard top shipped, so I should have that in a couple weeks."

Awesome!

Life is just better in 4-Low!

https://m.youtube.com/user/wcrosman/videos

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Spent part of the day planning out a water pump system for my 7 gallon aquatainer. Amazon sells many battery powered water pumps (see examples here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YWEPbO8500) which can be recharged via USB. The idea is to run a length of food-safe tubing from the water tank to the pump. This allows me to keep my ~60 lb water tank secured in one place but have easy access to the water. Most folks who have tried this online have some hokey solution for connecting the tubing to the container because of the proprietary thread pitch used on the aquatainer caps and spigots. (good example of the plumbing fitting problems here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8bQIm792Yw)

I stopped at the local homebrew store today and found a couple of drilled rubber bungs which fit into the cap (size 5.5) and spigot (size 3) of aquatainer. The bungs have a ~9.5mm bore through the center. I plan to run 10mm OD silicon tubing through this bung as a dip-tube into the water tank. I'll put a fitting (TBD) on the outside of the bung where I can easily make/break the feed line connection to the pump. I then plan to have about 10-15 feet of feed line available so I can use the pump at the rear hatch or either side door in a convenient location. I grabbed both size bungs because I'm not sure whether I want to plug the spigot or the main threaded hole on the cap yet. I think the main hole will work best, but having two sizes available will allow me to adapt the system as I use it. The best (or maybe this will prove to be the worst part) of this system is that the bungs and dip tube can be easily removed and the cap/spigot can be reassembled so the container can be used in the traditional configuration if anything should fail with the pump system.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

I don't quite picture your plan though from your initial rubber bungs it made me think of the rubber fuel tank / fuel hose fittings I have on the ultralight.

1) One drills a 33/64" hole into the tank, 2) slips in the rubber bushing 3) presses in a fitting (it's a hard press).

No leaks of fluid. The fitting can 'spin' in the rubber bushing for desired alignment.

These are the items:
    https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...k-bushing.html
    https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...hed-elbow.html

It's for 1/4" tubing - I don't know if that's too small for your project.

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "I don't quite picture your plan though from your initial rubber bungs it made me think of the rubber fuel tank / fuel hose fittings I have on the ultralight.

1) One drills a 33/64" hole into the tank, 2) slips in the rubber bushing 3) presses in a fitting (it's a hard press).

No leaks of fluid. The fitting can 'spin' in the rubber bushing for desired alignment.

These are the items:
    https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...k-bushing.html
    https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/...hed-elbow.html

It's for 1/4" tubing - I don't know if that's too small for your project."

Sounds similar to what I'm doing. When all of the parts arrive in a week-ish and I get everything assembled in the garage, I'll post some photos. Next weekend and the week after is shaping up to be busy with the hard top scheduled to arrive, so I might not get to the water system until the weekend after.

I decided to go with 3/8" (9.8mm OD) PEX supply line kit for an RO water system (or freezer ice maker supply line). The rubber bung is only needed to hold the line in place and seal off the top of my water container. The supply line kit was cheap and comes with some ball valves and elbow fittings.

13. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (December 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Here's the stock tank

Here are the non-standard threads for the spigot (spigot screws into this collar so you can flip it inside the tank for storage and transport -- thread from the inside or outside of the collar)

And here's the bung in place of the spigot

I'll just run my dip tube line through the bung and install an elbow fitting and in-line ball valve here on the top, then run my feed line from the ball valve out to the pump.

15. The Following Member Says Thanks to open_circuit For This Post:

Jim (December 28th, 2020)

Last Online
    6 Days Ago
    4x4
    84 CJ8
    User Name
    Spieg
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Cool idea. A threaded bung/nipple seems like the kind of thing a 3D printer could make pretty easily... just a thought.

Last Online
    7 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Spieg previously posted:
    "3D printer could make pretty easily"

And perhaps even use the smaller air vent connection

Last Online
    15 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    User Name
    open_circuit
    Real Name
    Trent
    Thanks Given

Spieg previously posted:
    "Cool idea. A threaded bung/nipple seems like the kind of thing a 3D printer could make pretty easily... just a thought."

Yes, it is an option. I have a 3d printer and could make a part, but I would need to make it in a food safe material and probably replace my brass printer nozzle with stainless steel for the task. It's something to consider if I have trouble with this solution. I am not sure how I would begin to model the threads to replicate them.

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 74757677