2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Default Death? Wobble

Hey all,

I have an issue with the JK I wanted to throw at you all. I have an oscillation that happens in the steering of the JK if you were to hit a bump right between 23 and 33 MPH. People get all freaky about what you call death wobble and not death wobble so I am hesitating. However, this wobble, once started, will not stop unless you get out of that speed range and the vehicle is pretty much not steerable.

I have read many articles and the issues is mostly caused by issues with the track bar or with not loosening the bolts on the control arms and/or track bar when lifting your vehicle. I had done all those things when I lifted the vehicle, however, I did them again to make sure there was no binding. Some people say put on a stiffer stableizer or adjust the caster. Most people say these are things which just mask the problem by tightening up the steering.

I have a theory but I am not sure... Take a look at the pictures below. This is one of my front lower control arms mounting points (yes the other is the same). Notice that the rubber bushing does not extend all the way to the edge of the mount. The stock ones did. So, between the mount arms (?) is the sleeve. Since the sleeve has the rubber bushing between it and the actual control arm, couldn't this cause a side to side oscillation that could end up being death wobble? Or are these bushings too stiff to allow such things?

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

One other thing I just noticed in the pictures...There is a place where mud has been rubbed off in that top picture. I just went an looked at all the other mounts. There is no such rubbing going on. This leads me to believe that this CA bushing is allowing the control arm to move back and forth? Would you all agree?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

If the sleeves are clamped tight in the frame bracket, check the bushings for wear and tear. Are these Poly bushings?

Correcting the castor is not a band-aid because lifting changes that angle from stock. When I first did my BB, the steering would "hunt" every time I hit an expansion joint on the highway. Also, the steering would not re-center on it's own.

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

These are new control arms from the lift so the caster was changed when lifted and the steering does auto center very well. see the picture for the difference in the length of the lower control arm. In the picture, the other end of the control arm is resting with the mounting bolt in the mounting hole so the comparison is close. This was a 3.5" lift.

Its hard to tell from the picture but the new control arm (round) is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch longer than the stock one (square). Also notice the rubber bushings on the stock control arm go all the way to the edge of the sleeve which would not allow as much side to side motion? I think this might be where the issues is. Opinions welcome!

one would think there should be no lateral movement on those control arms. I know ram trucks have an issue with the steering box getting loose from the frame or the trackbar is worn or putting the driver side spring on the passenger side. sometimes combination of things screw stuff up...

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

You should have no lateral movement in that arm. Any stress is going to lead to excess wear on the Bolt/Arm. Seeing as you not only have a lift but bigger Tires putting extra stress on the suspension I would see if someone has come up with a remedy. Possibly on a Jeep forum.

Last Online
    November 18th, 2016
    4x4
    2001 Jeep XJ
    User Name
    MelloYello
    Real Name
    Keith
    Thanks Given

How does your track bar look? Is it the stock one or did your lift come with that too? If it is stock, I would look in to a HD replacement. On my XJ, I had the wobble around 45-55 mph, I replaced the stock track bar with a JKS Heavy Duty one and it has not wobbled since. ??

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

I would say yes, that gap should not be there (as least not as large). As a way to see if that is the problem, I would suggest putting one or more large washers in that gap (large enough to cover the whole bushing and then some) and see if that fixes the wobble. If not, then that was not the problem!

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

Check out this forum iif you haven't already) and do a search for "death wobble". There are many, MANY comments/solutions for it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

First, a rubber bushing is bonded to the collar, a polyurethane bushing is not, and will have lateral movement if not captured. This has been touched upon by a few of the respondents to this thread. What are these bushings made of?

Second, what brand kit is this? Are there reviews on any JK specific forums?

The first and second questions may bring us to an Ahh-ha!!! moment.

Third, I've seen some baddass home built Johnny joint/flex joint arms that use the rebuildable joint at the body mount. I'll bet S&P Customs could weld some on your existing arms.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

I would try what has has been suggested and that is to put larger fender style washers on the bolts to take up the gap. See what happens when you do and go from that. Poly bushings also make quite a bit of difference, being stiffer and less prone to wear.

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Here's what I think my plan of action is. I'd like to get new adjustable control arms but the funds won't allow it right now. I checked my caster and it is roughly at 7 degrees which is at the high end of factory spec. Everything I've read says that with larger tires, the caster is better at a lower 3 or 4 degrees. The lower the caster, the less chance of wobble. Since my stock control arms are shorter than my new ones, I'm going to put the old ones back on and see what happens.

I am going to remove the track bar this weekend to make sure the bracket and or the mounting holes are all still good. I'm going to rotate the tires again.

Lastly, I know its a mask, but since my wobble is relatively minor (slow speeds, not a death trap) I think I'm going to find a stiffer steering stableizer to help out as well.

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Hypoid previously posted:
    "First, a rubber bushing is bonded to the collar, a polyurethane bushing is not, and will have lateral movement if not captured. This has been touched upon by a few of the respondents to this thread. What are these bushings made of?

Second, what brand kit is this? Are there reviews on any JK specific forums?

The first and second questions may bring us to an Ahh-ha!!! moment.

Third, I've seen some baddass home built Johnny joint/flex joint arms that use the rebuildable joint at the body mount. I'll bet S&P Customs could weld some on your existing arms. "

Hey Mike. It's a Rough Country 3.5 lift and the CAs have rubber bushings. My guess is that the rubber bushing on that particular end of the CA has become unbonded since there are "clean" parts where the bushing could come in contact with the mount on the frame. The question is, could lateral motion on the CA cause this? Assuming the track bar is sound (and I think it is), it controls lateral motion.

And yeah, if Pete and Sean can do me up some good CAs, I'm willing...

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

Jackie previously posted:
    "Check out this forum iif you haven't already) and do a search for "death wobble". There are many, MANY comments/solutions for it: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/"

Yeap. I've been looking at all the writups on JK forums, jeep forums, etc and slowing getting through the list. I'm going to be taking the track bar off this weekend to make sure holes haven't been ovaled etc...

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

I'm also going to be checking the ball joints on the passenger side as well. I've noticed that I can sometimes create the wobble just by making a sharp left turn. I'll rotate that tire out as well and see what that accomplishes.

Have you tried torquing all of the hardware to spec? A stiffer steering stabilizer will only be a bandaid.

Last Online
    April 5th, 2024
    4x4
    2021 Gladiator Diesel
    User Name
    Aaron
    Real Name
    Aaron Phillips
    Thanks Given

NCB previously posted:
    "Have you tried torquing all of the hardware to spec? A stiffer steering stabilizer will only be a bandaid."

I've torqued and re-torqued and to no avail at this point.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

those tires are brand new right? I cant imaging those are causing your problem unless they are REALLY out of balance. Im still sticking to the easy test first - just throw some washers in there and see what it does!

Have you wheeled it lately? My stock steering bent just enough where it didn't look bent but had wobble on the highway.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Aaron previously posted:
    "My guess is that the rubber bushing on that particular end of the CA has become unbonded since there are "clean" parts where the bushing could come in contact with the mount on the frame."

If the rubber can slide back and forth across the steel collar, that bushing has to go! Check it with a pry bar.

Also, check your tie rod ends: Have someone turn the wheel side to side while you look for play in each joint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast