Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid to late October Moab trip?

Default Mid to late October Moab trip?

Hey Guys,

So I need some redemption after my truck issues. Synopsis on that one is, drove it Moab and just as I drove in to town the engine melted down with spun bearing and shattered timing chain guide and I've been fixing it and getting it running ever since.

Average temperatures in Moab are still in the 70's during the day all month in October, with it getting brisk but not freezing overnight meaning down into the 30-40's. Trails I would like to run are in the upper end of moderate, i.e. start out with Fins n Things and Hells Revenge, then Poison Spider trio, and some of the other ones in that category. I'd like to spend at least a half day doing something in Area BFE too, but there are easy trails among the hard ones for people to check out.

Tim and Todd Young said they were semi-planning a trip there around the same time too. I'd like to spend a solid 4 days there wheeling. To cut costs I'd prefer camping, even with the cold temps.

Anyone interested? Since it takes a bit more planning then a day trip, I'd like to dredge up interest sooner then later.

Josh, I will be going with Steve from work to break the buggy in. Not quite sure of the dates but I should have it figured out in a couple weeks.

October is usually a great month for weather. A bit nippy at night but daytime temps are great.

For those that would like to come and do some "alternative" wheeling as well as the traditional trails, I'd be more than happy to accommodate! A little mix 'n match.

ROKTAXI previously posted:
    "For those that would like to come and do some "alternative" wheeling as well as the traditional trails, I'd be more than happy to accommodate! A little mix 'n match."

What is "alternative" wheeling? Are you referring to Mtn Biking or ATVing? Just curious.

By alternative I meant non traditional trails that most come here to do. Lots of other trails here and some may like a different experience than the usual. On the traditional scale of 1-5 , most of the "alternative" trails I would offer would be no more than a 3 1/2. I would adjust to whatever level of wheeling the group wants. No bikes or ATV's.

FYI The Land Rover National Rally will be in Moab from Oct. 19th - 23rd. If you don't like rovers, you might want to avoid that week. We are expecting between 70 and 100 vehicles this year (it doesn't exactly compare to Easter Jeep Safari).

If you do like rovers, you can come and check them out or take part in the rally (all makes and models are welcome). You can go to http://landrovernationalrally.org/ for more information or to register.

Full Disclosure: I'm the registration coordinator for the Rally.

Sorry about the hijack...you can return to your regularly schedule trip planning, now.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I like the Disclosure!
    I like Rovers too!

We might be interested.

We are hoping to be headed to Moab around the weekend of the 23rd. The buggy is really close and I am building new pipe doors for my XJ this week so.............. crossing the fingers!!!!!

I'm currently tentatively planning on going on that with ya. My truck should be buttoned up this week and ready for trails. Should have everything figured out by then. Hahaa......don't happen to have an extra spot on a trailer do ya?

Josh, This will be the last time I drive it. Now that my Big D is final I'm going to get a truck and trailer!

We are looking at Tuesday the 26th as get-a-way day! Coming back on Friday or Saturday. Hopefully the buggy is done by then!!

Sounds like a good time for me too. My truck project only has a few detail things, and it will be back on the road. That will give me some time to get it broken in and such too. Were you guys thinking of camping or motel or what? Also, what kind of trails? I'm gonna try and at least get the cab section of my cage built by then so I'll be up for anything, but just curious.

Hey Tim, never heard back from you about if you are still planning on going. I should be ready to go by then and definitely want to go. Whats the word, buggy done yet?

My bad Josh! It's looking like the first week of Oct.. Steve is working like crazy to get it done. i was supposed to start making my doors but still haven't! This wed I plan on starting to cut my tubes! If i get the doors done I am planning on going on the Wheeler or Coney run. As far as Moab goes, I plan on staying in a hotel or the condo we stayed in last time. If we get the condo, there will be plenty of room!

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

if this moves to the begining of November I might be interested, baring work doesnt get in the way.

Cool, it would have been fun to be out there for my birthday (Oct. 28th), but the beginning of November sounds good too. Its my big "three oh" this year, so its worth doing something. That actually gives me some more time to get sliders and an Exo done, so I'll feel more comfortable doing the harder stuff. My only currently scheduled work is on the week of the 16th, so I'd have to be back for that.

Well....I think I'm out on this one. I just got an offer to work this Saturday, and that stacks up on having to work till early evening tomorrow. I then go to Albuquerque for a week for another gig, and then come back to Denver and do another 4-5 days there, so it would have to be the end of November at this point. The rig is at its base level of being ready to go (as in I could get there and do some wheeling) but I have a bunch of stuff I would really like to do before spending time in Moab. Now that I am moving on from engine work (not a fan) and into metal work, I'm starting to enjoy working on the truck again too.

Sooo....I think Moab will have to wait for a while.... probably March or April unless they have a really mild winter. Not sure if Tim and his buddy got the buggy done or whether they are still planning on going. If they do, I hope they have and the buggy does everything they hoped.

Josh

He is still involved in wiring the buggy up! Lots of work which you know all to well about Josh! Moab might be ruled out but I want to go to Big Springs, Arkansas. My ex father-in-law asked me to come down sometime in the next 2 months. That's a pretty good haul though!! If the weather is right we might take off to Moab on a last minute trip. We'll see!

Yeah...I figured that that might happen. I know with my truck's engine rebuild, every time I thought I was getting close, there were a few more little things that would crop up. There are even more of those with a custom built vehicle like a Rock buggy, so its understandable.

Not sure I would enjoy Southern Rock Crawling. Seems like every video I see from there, the only things getting up stuff are $100k buggies with 500hp engines. Lots of torque and wheel spin to make up for very muddy and slippery terrain. Too much mud for my taste. If I am not busy for the "weather is right" Moab trip then I'll probably come along on that though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast