Directions: From Denver I like to take Highway 285 to Fairplay, then turn right on Rte 9 through Alma then left on Road 4 to Montgomery Reservoir but you can also take I-70 to Rte 9 south to Breckenridge and go up Hoosier Pass and take Road 4 west to Montgomery Reservoir.

The trail starts at the north end of the Montgomery Reservoir shown above.

As you can see there's plenty of space to gather and air down along side the reservoir.

The entrance is impossible to miss as it passes next to and under the Magnolia Mill which hides a small waterfall behind it.

Oct 3, 2009 Video of our Wheeler Lake run.

October 2008 Video of our Wheeler Lake run.

Below are some pics of the main obstacle's difficult approach which can be bypassed. This obstacle is named Flopper for reasons that are apparent.

This is the easier bypass, not nearly as difficult but still requires your attention.

The third option is the notch which requires careful straddling as shown both ascending and descending.

The majority of the trail is what you see below, constant gradual climb over loose rock through narrow brush assured to provide some Colorado pinstripes with an occasional small boulder on Bowling Ball Hill and water crossing depending on the time of the year. This isn't as easy as it looks because it's constantly changing by trucks preceding you as they climb and inevitably spin their tires.

The top provides great views, a pretty decent parking area and sufficient camping spots. This photo is from October as you can see the snow which is typical. In the last 4 years I've only had nice weather once, other times were either rainy or snowy which seems to be the norm.