PDA

View Full Version : Bunce area

CR
May 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Anybody wanna camp and wheel up around Bunce this weekend?
I'm going up for my birthday on friday afternoon and will return on sunday afternoon.:thunb:

Brody
May 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'm going up for my birthday on friday afternoon and will return on sunday afternoon.:thunb:

There is a reasonable chance that Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats are going to open up this weekend, too as the FS likes to get these trails opened then. Check with the Boulder Ranger District to see what is going on. Do not go off of their website, but actuall call them and find out if the ranger who officially opens the gate is going to open them. Their are so few rangers there that the person you speak to is going to know the ranger opening the gates , so you should get a first person answer.

Redcreeper
May 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Im planning a run up there sunday with the Rising Sun. Only a few so far. Need to test out the new toy (Jeep) after doing maintenance on it for the last 2 weeks. May see you up there.

Smash
May 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Will be up in Hayman, as has become tradition for memorial day.

Have a great time! Take some pics. Keeping the wheeling light and easy til I get the "new" suspension setup.

Aaron
May 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Taos for me this weekend but I do really want to get back up there. I need to make sure I change out my tranny fluid after crossing the lake next time. I have a funny feeling that is what did my transmission in last year. Of course 144,000 miles doesn't help either.

Smash
May 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Ooo have fun in Taos! Karla and I were down there the other weekend on the motorcycle.

Graham's Grill is everything they say it is and more... Try it if you haven't before.

We found the best margaritas near the plaza at the Alley Cantina. Their homemade fries are the **** too. I enjoyed their green chili stew, but Karla said their green chili burger was so-so.

Mr6dwg
May 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I just spoke to one of the members of the Trailridge Runners. He stated that the gate will not likely open until June 26. They need to spend some time on the mud hole/bog area.

Rob
May 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
He stated that the gate will not likely open until June 26.

That's good to know. And good that pit is going to get fixed for this season. It was almost impassible when we ran it late last fall. MSV, combined with Coney, is a fun trail that doesn't get old.

Rob
May 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM

I might be able to pop up for a bit of wheeling Saturday.

Redcreeper
May 26th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Still trying to put together something for sunday if anyone is interested. Bill and Rob would be cool to see you guys up there if you can make it. I am meeting a few RS members up there. Making a picnic of it for the kiddies at the end where you can go see the wreck is the plan for now. We are to meet at the north end (lower) trail head at 10am this is on Hwy 7. Don't know the area well so i plan on getting pretty lost on the way to the trail head.

Rob
May 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Making a picnic of it for the kiddies at the end where you can go see the wreck is the plan for now. We are to meet at the north end (lower) trail head at 10am this is on Hwy 7. Don't know the area well so i plan on getting pretty lost on the way to the trail head.

Unless a lot of snow melted at the end of the trail this week, you might have to hike to the end. Just past the little rock garden, which has a pretty good sized drift and is a squeeze between the drift and a tree, the snow was deep last Saturday. You might be able to bust through it, but it could take a while and the trail gets might narrow at the end.

If you're just doing just the plane crash trail, the quickest way to get to the trailhead, I think, is from the Camp Dick side off Highway 72 (Peak to Peak Highway). If you plan to do Ironclads first, go in from the north end off Highway 7 or up the middle access road from 72.

Redcreeper
May 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Thanks Rob, Think we are working our way up to Ironclads. More of a family trip. If we get that far i have something different for the drift. Maybe i will break threw with what i got. I am just out to test the new toy after working on it for the last 2 weeks. Will you be able to make it?

foxtrot
May 27th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I would most likely be in for a sunday run. it is my day off

Rob
May 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Will you be able to make it?

Not sure yet.

Redcreeper
May 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I would most likely be in for a sunday run. it is my day off

I will be meeting my friend at the north end at 10. Not many are going because of Memorial weekend so should be a nice quiet run. Except for the kiddies.... The little kiddies not the big ones.... haha Hope to see you there.

Doc like i said would love to have you along.

Redcreeper
May 27th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I will be in a Yellow Scrambler not the FJC in case anyone is looking for the group.

CR
May 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I will be on CB channel 4 all weekend in case anyone wants to meet up.:thunb:

Chris
May 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I will be in a Yellow Scrambler not the FJC in case anyone is looking for the group.

Im planning a run up there sunday with the Rising Sun. Only a few so far.

Only a few RS want to wheel with a Scrambler. :erm:

Redcreeper
May 28th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Chris, Yeah I know. They are skeared... haha. Really everyone is off to the Blue Notch Canyon i think and only a few are left behind. If i did this on sat may have a few more peeps. Don't think it would be any different if I brought my TT FJC. No biggie. More time to break it in. If you got time come join us.

Chris
May 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Birthday weekend for me, both my wife and grandson so I probably won't be any more wheeling after today.

Rob
May 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I will be meeting my friend at the north end at 10.

I RSVP'd as a maybe on CR's calendar posting. Looks like Bill (mr6dwg) is showing up at 9:30. Can you guys get there then?

Redcreeper
May 29th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Rob,

I will check with the other guys and let you know. I have Bills number, i can give him a call and touch base. Hope you can make it.

RockyMtnHigh
May 29th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Found this posted on the 28th over on the FJ Forum:

Hey everyone!

Thought i'd let everyone know that Ironclads, T-33A Plane Crash, and Bunce School road are all closed at the Gate at the end of the Campground. I spoke to a Forest Service worker today, and he said that the trail is closed indefinitely. There was a bad washout of the trail about 2miles from the gate. They are having a meeting sometime next week to figure out how to fix the problem.

link: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/84480-mountain-report-7.html#post1668236

cfr
May 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Found this posted on the 28th over on the FJ Forum:

Hey everyone!

Thought i'd let everyone know that Ironclads, T-33A Plane Crash, and Bunce School road are all closed at the Gate at the end of the Campground. I spoke to a Forest Service worker today, and he said that the trail is closed indefinitely. There was a bad washout of the trail about 2miles from the gate. They are having a meeting sometime next week to figure out how to fix the problem.
link: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1668236

I think someone got confused and actually meant Middle St. Vrain. I was just at the Boulder Ranger District office on Friday and they said that MSV may open near the end of June if they can fix the big mud pit in the trail.

Redcreeper
May 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Well we will be there at 930 on the north end and find out then i guess. see you there if ya coming.