PDA

View Full Version : Skid plate with integrated fog lights

Mporter
May 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
So last night while driving home from work. I realized I could use some Fog lights on my car.

One thing I was thinking of doing, was getting those little oval/circle fog lights http://images.buyautotruckaccessories.com/products/main/MainImage_HE_ff75.jpg for example
And having them recessed in a skid plate. I have been thinking about putting a skid plate on the front anyways because of the skids Pete/Sean put on while building my bumper, I could just put in a 3/16" plate in between em to protect that part of the frame/underside a little.

I don't think it'd be hard to do and I could just use the unused holes in the Winch plate to mount em.

Anyone know if this has ever been done/have pics?

Thanks.

Zatticus
May 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Never seen it done, but I see in my head, atleast. How they could go in, and be safe from getting it by rocks,
ahah.

Just stick em way back, so that it's not sticking infront of the skid, if that makes sense?
;p

Mporter
May 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yeh. just behind the metal with cutouts so it's still low enough to be decent in fog/low viz areas, but won't get pounded to **** when it hits a rock.

Zatticus
May 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Exactly, and I think Round ones would look better, rather than the Ovals.
Just my Opinion.

Mporter
May 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, me too haha.

I just forgot what the model number was for it and just wanted to give a teaser of what I was talking about.

Zatticus
May 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM
:lmao:

Mporter
May 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Stole the base image from Chris, but you get the idea.

Granted this is a very crude photoshop attempt, this is the general idea.

1freaky1
May 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Matt, it would be easy to do and something similar to what I have done on my bumper.

Brody
May 13th, 2010, 05:52 AM
So last night while driving home from work. I realized I could use some Fog lights on my car.

One thing I was thinking of doing, was getting those little oval/circle fog lights http://images.buyautotruckaccessories.com/products/main/MainImage_HE_ff75.jpg for example
And having them recessed in a skid plate. I have been thinking about putting a skid plate on the front anyways because of the skids Pete/Sean put on while building my bumper, I could just put in a 3/16" plate in between em to protect that part of the frame/underside a little.

I don't think it'd be hard to do and I could just use the unused holes in the Winch plate to mount em.

Anyone know if this has ever been done/have pics?

Thanks.

I had them on my rig for quite awhile, pretty much what you PS'd. What I found was that they seemed to be rock magnets and I had to cover the front with some expanded metal to protect them. At any rate, if you dig through the photos in my album, you will eventually find a front shot of my heap with the encased lights it it. Found one...

Happy to help with whatever you come up with, including the skid plate.

Mporter
May 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
So today at walmart I decided to splurge (:lmao:) and buy the cheapo brand fog and driving lights.

Gonna have to mess around with how to mount em and pick up some steel to toy around with the skid. Pete I may be contacting you in the next couple days.

Brody
May 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have plenty of expanded metal here that is left over from a security door/window job I did if you need some.

Chris
May 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Lights on the skid? You may want to look at my skids before doing anything. :D

Brody
May 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Lights on the skid? You may want to look at my skids before doing anything. :D

I believe he is planning on plating the area between the two skid plates/shackle things I did and then hiding the lights behind that, giving a solid plate between the two shackles. This should work fine and was one of the incarnations of my front bumper for quite a few years, complete with skid plate.

Mporter
May 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah Pete hit the nail on the head. I think I'm gonna try and use some of the excess holes on the universal winch plate to mount the lights and then put the skid in front and make cutouts for the lights.

Not 100% sure of this yet...i'm a more hands on guy so I can't really explain my visions :smokin:

Chris
May 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Okay, I'll wait and see how this pans out but my skids have gotten their fair share of scrapes and having a plate between them would get even more.

Mporter
May 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Which is exactly why I want to have the fog lights recessed in the skid.

I wanted fog lights for a while but knew they had to be mounted low enough and those would get trashed with rocks.

Chris
May 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Got it, makes sense. :thunb:

Mporter
May 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM
It's definitely gonna require a little ingenuity, but if it turns out how i picture it in my mind, it's gonna be cool and functional.