PDA

View Full Version : Moab 4/22-4/25

wyota
April 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Well what can i say the trip didn't go quite like we had planned but i think we made the best out of a bad situation. Big thanks again to CR for coming out that was huge!!!!!!!!!:superhero:Also a big thanks to Marty for letting us keep josh's truck at his place. So to the story, the first night we got into town a little later than planed so after looking in the canyons for a place to camp we decided to head out to area BFE. We found a nice spot out in the desert and made camp then it was time for fun with camera's and flash lights.

wyota
April 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
The next morning we decided to limp josh's truck 20 miles back to town. We had made it about half way, when it gave up. I towed it the rest of the way to Marty's house. After we got the truck settled we set out to find a new and less desolate place to camp. Well after nearly two hours of looking we finaly found a spot where the pot ash canyon road turns to dirt. not the most enchanting place iv'ev ever camped, but it had facility's and all the free wood you could want. turned out to be a grate spot and met some cool people.

wyota
April 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
So now that camp is set up it was finally time to do some wheel'n. First up was Fin's and Thing's. Thanks again Josh for showing me the rope's and getting my confidence up on the BIG STUFF !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVVB4DqEhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeEIv2q2Pas

wyota
April 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
We made good time on FNT so we did hell's Revenge. SWEET!!!!!! and just for the record the vid's do no Justus to the size and angle of this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPqM3JNKXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kO99fb0yWc

wyota
April 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
The next day we got up and did Top Of The World and Dome plateau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDR4msMBIE

CR
April 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Very nice Todd!
Cool trick shots too.
And you are very welcome for coming to save the day. This is a great group of people and I feel if the same had happened to me, someone woulda been right there to help out just the same.:frontrange4x4: I'm just glad it was the weekend so I was able.
Hopefully gonna make the next one with you guys.

MelloYello
April 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Nice!

Andrew
April 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I will be there next Wednesday!! And yeah the steepness is hard to get. Here's some video from the last time I was out there - cam mounted on my window so it gives a decent sense of the steep climbs, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSe3ZvTuz8

Rob
April 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Good stuff, Todd. Can't wait to get out there.

Haku
April 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I had a great time, despite my issues. Was cool to hang with Todd and get him onto some of the classic Moab trails. Was also cool to go do some exploring on Dome Plateau, even though we got minorly lost. We even got to geek out and put Todd's 12" Sub to use at the Cave House there. Pretty neat to feel the bass blasting into a natural Rock amphitheater. Heck, even had some super cool camping neighbors that made the camping experience all the better. Minus me blowing up an engine, it was a great trip and I had an awesome time as I usually do there. Pretty hard to have a bad time, even with mishaps. Bummed that I'm probably not going to make it back this spring again, but I definitely want to do a trip or two in the Fall. Heck, might even brave the heat and go mid-summer after I get my engine put back together. Good times.

Josh

Haku
April 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Not every day you see one of these, and I got some decent pictures of it. Moon dogs are pretty rare, since they they take special atmospheric conditions (ice crystals) and a nice bright moon to show up. We got some decent pictures of it the first night. Here are mine...

http://s33ria.bay.livefilestore.com/y1po8eS3wekDUwXtqX9UFxZ3isNi0bbX-pMqSFn3EVNX5-k_5S_gRoA4P2rQ29eE5jWKZfHOGLiadDLblv281GIUI4hm-FudosX/2.jpg

http://s33ria.bay.livefilestore.com/y1peUYCNf84lGR9VxeEf5W1zKzYmqlbia5EyyDuqsoMxSP2RdI bQpwoHCOQrP6GiczH5Xuzsy1hNIzj7f6oOTBdlNgomt2_AQD3/1.jpg

This is the closest you get to a Moon Rainbow. Yes ,its the moon, and double yes, I had to blast the exposure up a bunch in Photoshop to get these pictures. To the naked eye, it was defintely visible, but only as a whitish halo. Cranking up the exposure really brings out the color in it though. Another fun thing to try and get right with photography. I don't have a remote trigger, otherwise I would have gotten a longer exposure of this. Pretty neat regardless.

JH

Brody
April 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all the pictures! Thanks to CR for the rescue. That was awesome!

Glad that you guys had fun and were able to make the best of the situation!

The moon pictures are sweet! Wish I could've sent you guys out there with a spare engine instead of a couple of drive shafts, but I am short on engines....

1freaky1
April 28th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Great pics and videos thanks posting them up. I have never been out to Moab, maybe some day.

wyota
April 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I took my Dad's old canon AE-1 film camera with me and i got the pic's back today so i thought i would post some up.

wyota
April 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
a few more...

wyota
April 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM
one more

Andrew
April 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM
That's not a Moon Dog (paraselene) actually. That's just a lunar halo. A Moon Dog is actually a brighter spot on a halo. Lunar halos are quite common. They are both caused by ice crystals though. Maybe they're just more common to me as I'm often out with full moons for photos and such.

Mporter
April 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
So on those B&W pictures you just posted up....when I scroll down, they slightly shift (makes it kinda nauseating) what's up with that Chris?

Chris
May 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Which of you lost a needle nose at Marty's? I have it in my truck.

Haku
May 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Red handles? I think those might be mine, but not sure. Either way, thanks for picking them up.

JH

Chris
May 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yep, red handles. Thanks Marty's dog for finding and picking them up. :thunb:

I'll leave them in my truck til I see you.

ROKTAXI
May 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Yep, red handles. Thanks Marty's dog for finding and picking them up...... :thunb:
I think maybe she was being nosy and picked them out of the tool box thinking "hey these look good enough to eat". I have found other treasures I thought I'd lost or misplaced and find them later in the yard. Her newest trick is to bury things like it was a bone and then goes back sometime later and digs them up.

Rusty
May 2nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Sucks about the engine but was extremely cool that C.R. came to the rescue

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Good stuff, Todd. Can't wait to get out there.

Me too. Ready to call in sick and get my web-wheeling butt out there! However, May 12-14 is the end of year Choir and Orchestra concert at A-West and my daughter is in Choir. Next time.

Thanks for the pictures; always love seeing that area.

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
one more

Where exactly is this? I have done Dome Plateau (got lost) and TOTW and did not see this.

Chris
May 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
99% sure that is Dome Plateau, nearly rolled my truck due to deep sand there. :erm:

Pathrat
May 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
99% sure that is Dome Plateau, nearly rolled my truck due to deep sand there. :erm:

Hmmmm. That must be in the part that we didn't drive because we were kind of lost...with Mr. Wells. Still fun, but now I want to go back for a do-over. I want to hear the roll over story at some point too.

Haku
May 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Yeah, the Cave House is on the Dome Plateau trail. We got lost back there too, and ended up using the GPS to try and figure it out. Even though thats not where we set it for, it got us straight to the Cave House place. We did miss the big arch that is at the furthest end of the trail, but it was cool to check out the caves. Its a bit easier to get out from there too, since there are only a few forks (which we still took wrong turns on one of). Definitely confusing out there though, not surprised that people get lost on it. Doesn't help that the Wells Book is a bit vague with the maps and landmarks and such. Probably pays to use the GPS waypoints that he gives though.

Josh