PDA

View Full Version : Reverse winch pull

cfr
March 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
The holy grail of winching demonstrated,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrpV2xqHG5w

I think I'd just buy the rear-mount winch as the cost of pulleys, straps, etc is probably equal to the cost of a cheap winch.

Haku
March 16th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Much easier to just run the cable under the rig, and just make sure it misses all the delicate stuff. Easy enough to put something protective over the spots that rub like a heavy coat, towel, etc. I've always thought it would be neat to make a pipe or something specifically for that purpose with a a miniature hawse fairlead at each end. If you run it right, should only make contact with the axles and maybe the bumper at each end.

Cool idea though, and a fun thing to try. Its hard to tell exactly what he does in that, but a second viewing helped. Would be cool to see a diagram of how to set it up and where the winch line goes. Defintely better hope you have a long winch line for it though, looks like it uses all but a couple turns on the winch to pull the rig less then 10 feet.

Brody
March 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Not too bad...But, as has been mentioned, for the cost of all the tow straps, snatch blocks, clevises etc, buy a cheap winch for the back. You also save some money by not having to have a separate vehicle along to carry the extra 400 pounds of recovery gear....:lmao:

Thanks for the video...It was interesting to watch.

JeffX
March 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I agree. My uncle has a winch behind his Defender and he's used it as much as his front one over the years.

1freaky1
March 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
That is why its nice to have a winch in front and one in the back saves time!

Red Rhino
March 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I have built custom rock bumpers front and back and two power cables with quick disconnects so that I can move the winch to the back. The winch is a heavy old school warn so I do get a work out moving it to the back. Yes the pipe or ? under the truck would be much easier. Its all about the adventure of man vs machine, so I call it fun. See you all on the 2nd Annual Anniversary Run.

Bryan

collkid
March 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Tripie idea, Doesn't seem like it would be safe if you didn't have all the Proper straps.

Mporter
March 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Tripie idea, Doesn't seem like it would be safe if you didn't have all the Proper straps.

Isn't that just a generalization about winching though?

cfr
December 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original link is broken. Here's another,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tI3HtgdCY

Haku
December 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Cool. Definitely a cool exercise in winch practice.

On another note, I tried the "run the winch cable under the vehicle" thing over the summer when I needed to back my truck into a spot when it had no engine, and it worked really well. No damage to the axles or the winch cable, though it was a flat ground "low load" pull. I wouldn't hesitate to try it if I got myself in a bind and there was no one else there to help pull me out.

wakkjobb
December 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
"If it was a Nissan or Toyota I'd be really stuck..."

ignoring fabled Jeep superiority...

Great video; was wondering about this last winter a few times. Luckily my Toyota dragged my sorry behind out of the tight spots!

>>Dan