PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

Chris
March 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Please use a picture of your truck for your avatar. It makes it much easier to connect usernames with the truck and eventually to the owner. If you don't have a photo of your truck, please get one. If the whole uploading photos thing is not something you want to deal with feel free to email a copy to me and I'll do it for you.

:thunb:

Chris
March 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM
If your avatar isn't a photo of your truck it will e replaced with this until you change it.

Jim
May 8th, 2013, 08:10 PM
There is now a listing of avatar use in the forum's rules (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules). Here is the text:

Profile avatars: It is recommended that you have an avatar for your profile. If you do, the avatar must be a generally recognizable photo of your rig. The reason and "compliance test" is: Should someone be meeting you at a trail head, parking lot, or side of the road, would they recognize your vehicle from your avatar. If yes, that's a good avatar. If not, please update it. Should you have multiple rigs, listing your most commonly used rig would be reasonable.

As we humans sometimes like to change avatars, there will be an "Avatar Quarterly" that will run in the winter (generally non-trail running season) for the months of December, January, & February. If you want to go crazy and post up any avatar of your whim, have at it. Your rig does not need to be in it but it should be suitable for general public viewing.

For vendors, they may display as general members with truck based avatars, but most may wish their company logo, which seems preferred.

I welcome everyone to evaluate their avatar from the perspective of another member who has never met you at a trail head - would they pick you out from a mass of rigs by your truck? If solidly yes, that's great. If there's any question, look to upgrade your avatar. While some consider a clear "driveway photo" an inferior picture, I certainly don't - it's perfectly fine (and is easy to make).

Here are a few examples of clear / good avatars (most show two sides of the rig and mostly fill the overall avatar frame - not a spec of a rig on an expansive landscape [however nice the landscape looks]):

EDIT: When I went to clarify MY avatar, I noticed that Chris has this note in the Avatar Edit screen: "Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post. - You must use a photo of your truck, anything else is not allowed."

Jim
September 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM
alexb offered that it might be good to list the link to edit avatars.

You can get to the avatar spot by either clicking "Settings" > "Edit Avatar" or hitting this link:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/profile.php?do=editavatar

Thank you, Alex, for the note.

Jim
March 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
So that the admin can easily check avatars, I made a web page that shows all of them. Clicking upon an avatar will load the profile page.

The Trucks of Front Range 4x4 (http://frontrange4x4.com/Avatars-List.html)