PDA

View Full Version : rim crackage

foxtrot
March 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
this hppened a couple weeks ago but I figured I would throw it on here. one night on my way home from work, I heard a noise that sounded a lot like a flat. so, I pull over and guess what? a flat..:mad:.... So, I had a can of fix a flat in my tool box, and decided to use that since it was 11:00 at night and about 7 degrees. As soon as I started spraying it in, I saw it coming out :confused:. of course I couldn't see crap because my flashlight was dead, so all I had was the little piece of crap on my keys. after looking at it for about 5 minutes, I saw this:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/btencer/15441_103212073030343_1000002465174.jpg

This is about a 9 inch gash in the rim. I had not hit any curbs at all on my way home (I remember everything I hit). after seeing this, I instantly jack the truck up and as soon as I start loosening the lug nuts, I see that one of them has been rounded off (stupid brakes plus people, I just got my trucks brakes done the day before). so I spent about 30 minutes trying to get it off. in the end, I called a tow truck and waited 2 hours for it. when I was waiting one person stopped and asked if everything was ok. I said I had it taken care of and thanked him for stopping, then he stood there for about 30 seconds and then he said "If you needed help, I would have helped. Just wanted t let you know." I hate people that stop only for recognition. I ended up getting it off at home the next day. had to get a new rim at 100 bucks, and decided to get new tires since that one was destroyed. :bang:

Brody
March 3rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Sounds like you running alloy rims, one of the reasons I am not fond of them. I had a similar thing happen when I hit a smallish rock with 33s and Centerlines. It took a chunk out of the wheel and put a fist sized hole in the tire. Since I was in the process of starting to go from semi off road to a real wheeler, I sold the Centerlines and stuck steel rims on it.

Just feel happy that someone actually stopped to help. Most people don't.

You might consider getting on the FR emergency contact list if you are also willing to help out other members. This is a list of people who will help out, but only sign up if you are also willing to be available to help someone else out. Contact HAKU if you are interested as this is his baby.

SubaCool
March 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Just feel happy that someone actually stopped to help. Most people don't.
+1, especially at night! I wouldn't have stopped...

After Discount Tires have rounded off several of my OEM lug nuts on my Nissan, i had bought a set of regular open ended nuts and have been trying to avoid getting my wheels serviced there. But then they got better, plus I have steel wheels and the open ended nuts, so I'll go there to get my wheels rotated and balanced now (since it's free). Other than that, I try not to go to these 15-minute shops unless I absolutely have to. They'll get the job done, but not always to my satisfaction.

I like steel wheels too, and for 2 reasons:
1) They don't attract attention as much as some blingy alloys,
2) http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6419-Bent-wheel

:thunb:

scout man
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have alloys on my DD which used to see more off road action than it should have. One day I got an oval shaped rock between my rotor (or drum, dont remember if it was front or back) and the inner wall of my aluminum wheel. As I accelerated in twisted the rock long ways and put it right through the wall of the wheel. Yea, those arent cheap. For me it is steel all the way for anything that goes off road. Its nice to know there is something more solid holding air in your tires, plus if you damage the bead you can usually hammer them back where they need to be.

Smash
March 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yep, steel FTW. Heck, Subacool and I both run steelies on our Subarus.

Andrew
March 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Yup steelies all the way. And if you bend them up on the trail and your tire won't hold air, a hammer fixes em.

foxtrot
March 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
well, i know what my next buy is :) man i wish i had money

Smash
March 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Steelies tend to be pretty cheap, keep an eye on CL too.

Andrew
March 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
summitracing.com usually has pretty good prices on steelies. I like Cragar wheels.

BlackRubi
March 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm always apprehensive about stopping for people in this day and age. I do a good majority of the time, but I'm still a little apprehensive. I don't think I've stopped at night. A cousin of mine stopped for a lady a few years back. She ended up hitting him with a baseball bat while he was getting something out of her trunk and robbing him before driving off.

Andrew
March 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'm always apprehensive about stopping for people in this day and age. I do a good majority of the time, but I'm still a little apprehensive. I don't think I've stopped at night. A cousin of mine stopped for a lady a few years back. She ended up hitting him with a baseball bat while he was getting something out of her trunk and robbing him before driving off.

Hopefully someday she learns the lesson not to bring a baseball bat to a gun fight.

Brody
March 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

Any time I stop for someone at night, I usually have my ASP or knife very accessible. I also stop my car a ways away, do a circle towards their car so I can check the surrounds, and also check the person I am helping out along with the back seat of their rig. I do not turn my back on them and am careful to see what, if anything, they have in their hands. I also look for bulges in the pants pockets or coats that could be a concealed gun. I will also not hesitate to ask the person I am helping to move back if they are getting too close. I do not play around when I stop to help someone as I am not going to end up the victim....period. I also stop quite far back and shout to the person to see if help is needed. I don't want to put them on the defensive, either.

Same goes for when someone stops to help me. I do not like to have someone's brights in my face and simply see a vague shape approaching. Nor do I like to hear the sounds of multiple doors opening in the 'helpful rig'. These things are usually not signs of someone who has good intentions and put me right in defense mode....But then again, I also look around parking lots, closed parking areas, and always look in my back seat if I am driving a car that has one, don't walk close to alley openings at night, etc, etc...I happen to like being aware...it isn't paranoia, it is merely using common sense and realizing things aren't always flowers, warm fuzzies, and love...

foxtrot
March 4th, 2010, 11:02 PM
so, I figured I would not make another thread for this since mine is at the top. went on an expliration today behind N. Carefree and powers diamond shamrock (for those of you who know where that is.) Went pretty good, except for one hill. I told my dumbass friend to get out and watch for scraping. so he gets out and just stares at the fron of the truck and I just assume everything is good. all the sudden I hear a errrrrrrr, and think "ah ****" get out and look around, and found my passenger side step bar bent to crap, It has two huge dents aand is in the shape of an upside down U. Sad day since I just bought these at christmas, but I guess its better than body damage. I'll post some pics tomorrow in the daylight

Brody
March 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Real steel is the best thing to avoid this...I assume it was the Yota you took rather than the Dodge...Happy to help out with rock rails and slider stuff....making them, installation or simply answering any questions...Ends up being cheap protection in the long run....

foxtrot
March 5th, 2010, 07:17 AM
It was the dodge :( I was trying to figure out what angles it could handle. which most of it it could. that is why I had my friend "watching" lol, body damage to the yota isn't horrible to me since it is my offroad rig. but it would still be nice to get some sliders on her. maybe we could talk at the anniversary run

Brody
March 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Shoot me an email address via a PM and I'll send you pictures of a set of sliders I built for a 1500 Dodge extra cab. They were supposed to be in the build threads, but got dropped somehow...

Andrew
March 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah get sliders. That's one of the first things I did to my Xterra - beat the crap out of the nerf bars.