PDA

View Full Version : 4.0L Ford V6

Fordguy77
February 4th, 2010, 04:33 PM
My whole life i have been building big V8's. This is going to be my first V6 build, actually its the first time i have rebuilt anything other than a V8. Should i stick along the same lines as i would for a V8? or are there any special considerations i need to take in to account as it being a V6? This is the motor i am going to be putting in to the :princess:'s 88 Bronco 2. When it is done, it will sit on 33's, with the 3.73 gears that came with the 8.8 and dana 35 out of the explorer parts car. Eventually might jump to a lower gear set, but don't have the money for something like that right now. Would it be a waste of money to bore the block over? What are good mods for V6's?
My Thoughts Were;
Stock Bore and Stroke
RV Cam
Ported and Polished Heads
Ported Intakes
Headers
Upgraded Ignition
And some form of a better than stock intake.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Treat it as you would a V8, do what is needed. The principals are the same

Brody
February 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM
My Thoughts Were;
Stock Bore and Stroke
RV Cam
Ported and Polished Heads
Ported Intakes
Headers
Upgraded Ignition
And some form of a better than stock intake.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I wouldn't bother with the overbore unless you absolutely need it for the new rings, if any. You aren't going to achieve much in the way of power gains until you start switching pistons out for better compression ratios. The port matching and polishing probably is worthwhile if you do it yourself, but power gains are not going to be noticeable enough to warrant the additional bucks having a machine shop do it. Stick the money you would spend on this into a tricked out overbored throttle body if it is EFI, or a Predator carb and after market intake if it is carbed....or do a Holley ProJection or EFI conversion.

Better exhaust coupled with an after market air intake will gain you a lot of grunt if it is done right. Keep in mind that you don't have the power latitude to play with like with a V8. The exhaust pipe size is critical and you can actually kill a bunch of power by putting on too big of an exhaust system...power that you wouldn't really feel that you lost with a V8, but will with a V6. Take your rig to an exhaust place like AA Performance muffler and brake where they wheel, understand what you are trying to achieve and will build the exhaust to get what you want. Do spend the money on a free flow CAT and muffler.

You aren't going to go wrong with the RV cam no matter what. Just do a little research into the duration as I am sure you know. With the Yota 22REs for instance, there is very little leeway on the cam duration before you start losing power and performance right where you most want it. An ignition upgrade in my experience has been a little hit or miss. I have upgraded to MSDs or one of the other high performance ignitions on every Ford or Chevy I have owned. Have I noticed any real difference after dropping $400 or so? Honestly, no. If anything, I would dispense with the ignition upgrade and, if it has an ECU, get it rechipped or rechip it yourself, or get a programmable ECU or a piggyback ECU that you can mess with. Your chances of gaining power you can actually feel with a chip are going to be better than with an almost equally expensive ignition upgrade.

Just my 2 cents....

Dan
February 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'd weld on two more cylinders! :lmao::lmao:

Actually, I believe I still have some misc gaskets and (If I haven't thrown them out) valve seals for the 4.0. PM me if interested and I will look through my box.