PDA

View Full Version : New to FR4x4 from Firestone

TxTau
February 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Whats up Front Range?! My name's Brad and I'm still pretty new to Colorado. I moved up here from Texas, right outside Houston, about 7 months ago. I know a few of you from other sites and have seen some of your rides around town.

I drive an 05 Ford Explorer, 4x4, 4.0L SOHC V6. Yeah, yeah its a soccer-mom, grocery-getter and will never see any real rocks, but she does do pretty well on moderate trails. So far ive put a PA-833 (from a 98 ranger) 3" body lift under her and plan on fabbin' up some strut spacers for another 2.5". It is independant front and back, hence why it will never see any difficult trails. Theres really no aftermarket products available so any other modifications will have to be custom. So im down for any pretty easy trail rides:fing:

So thats my daily driver. As far as my project truck goes I have an 88 FJ62. Still has the original 3FE under the hood and original trans both clockin 285K. This truck has been in the family for 20 yrs now, as my dad purchased circa 1990. What a great truck it has been, but it was time for my pops to get a new ride. So now the Cruiser is mine to fix up. Definitely needs new gaskets throughout the engine and a rebuilt trans is a must.

Enough blabbin from me, now onto the pics... (cant find any of the FJ62 so i'll have to post later)

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj343/MillerTimeX17/IMG_6219800x600.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj343/MillerTimeX17/IMG_6243800x600.jpg

Look forward to meeting you guys and wheelin with ya too!

Rob
February 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Welcome. You'll be able to do a fair number of trails, even with independent all around, with the lift and good tires.

Chris should be able to offer plenty of advice on your 62. He's done plenty to his. Plenty of others will have lots of other advice and can answer most any question you'll have. Pete has a built a good set tech resources you can refer to. Go wild.

And we'll need to see some pics of the 62 pretty soon. This group is impatient about things like that. :D

Fordguy77
February 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome, Not a bad looking explorer for what you have to work with via aftermarket.

TxTau
February 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys, ive been reading those tech threads for the past couple of nights waiting for my registration to be emailed back. There is a lot of helpful information that i look forward to putting in use. And I'll get some pics of the 62 in the next couple days

Red Rhino
February 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Nice ride, don't be afraid to get it dirty. Too many trails, not enough time when you live in Colorado.

Mporter
February 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Looks good. Nice to meet ya

TxTau
February 3rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
So heres a horrible pic that i found on my phone of the Cruiser

Rob
February 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Nice. A lift, some good tires and you can start Colorado pinstriping it, give it some character.

mikem
February 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Welcome!

SubaCool
February 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Welcome! I'm always up for some milder trail runs (wife approval depending off course...) :o This state sure is pretty and big, lotsa good places to go and see :thunb:

KnuckleHead
February 4th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Welcome aboard.... hope to see you on the trails this summer

Brody
February 4th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Welcome to the forum! Nice pair of rigs you have! Matt (MPorter) is also driving an FJ60 that has been in the family for awhile. I think it used to be his Mom's car, now he is fixing it up. There are a couple of nice 60s here as well as some other full size rigs. Since we run a wide range of trails, there is always (in good weather months) something to do.

Looking forward to seeing you on some trails soon. If you have any questions, just ask them..

Dan
February 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Welcome to the site. Nice exploder, but I'm a little more excited about the FJ62. Not sure why :rolleyes:

Warrlord
February 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Welcome aboard. That being said, time to get that FJ going.

JeffX
February 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Whoa! Another Explorer in Firestone! I just can't get over that..... :D

Where is Firestone? I never heard of it until I saw all these people joining from there. (N/M I just googled it)

Sweet ride. I love those tires.

Smash
February 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Welcome! I agree with what others have said, there are plenty of places you can take your DD. Subacool wheels his outback, I used to wheel a lifted Forester. Great fun! Check the calendar for upcoming runs, hope to meet you soon!

CR
February 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome.

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome.

Mporter
February 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forum! Nice pair of rigs you have! Matt (MPorter) is also driving an FJ60 that has been in the family for awhile. I think it used to be his Mom's car, now he is fixing it up. There are a couple of nice 60s here as well as some other full size rigs. Since we run a wide range of trails, there is always (in good weather months) something to do.

Looking forward to seeing you on some trails soon. If you have any questions, just ask them..

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one...except it's a FJ62 (not gonna hold that against ya :))

96FullSize
February 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM
That is a nice looking explorer. Im sure it makes a great DD

Brody
February 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one...except it's a FJ62 (not gonna hold that against ya :))

Ahhh semantics...and round or square headlights....Thanks for not holding it against me...

TxTau
February 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hey fellas, thanks for all the warm welcomes. I cant wait to hit some trails with you guys! For now it looks like I'll be wheeling the EX though. I think im gonna pull the engine out of the Cruiser, tear it down, and build it back up with the Man A Fre rebuild kit. Then I need to find a decent tranny to bolt up. So when thats all done, the fun will start. As far as the Explorer goes, I still wanna fab up some strut spacers, sliders, and maybe a winch mount.

Rob
February 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
and round or square headlights

The devil's in the details, eh. It's like getting ticketed by the bezel police if it's upside down on your 40.

Hypoid
February 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Welcome aboard!

Good decision to keep the Explorer for nice. Finding the limits can get expensive, or so I've read... :D

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/Hypoid/Bill%20Moore/P1000053.jpg

Mr6dwg
February 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Welcome. I am a neighbor to the south, in Frederick. I look forward to meeting up with you and enjoying the mountains as well.

Mporter
February 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Well 62's had an Auto trans factory, whereas 60's had a manual....HAH not just semantics...oh well, im just arguing with myself

AccordRanger
February 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hey man! Welcome and glad to see you made it here from Explorer Forums.:woot:
Seems to be kinda dead over there as far as Colorado trail runs go.

BlueMoonMobile
February 6th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Glad to have some more from the motherland around!! My sister just moved to Houston for school. Have some good friends there.
Welcome to the site. Nice exploder, but I'm a little more excited about the FJ62. Not sure why Dido...I've debated saving for a project rig that I could totally fab and saving my FJ Cruiser for moderate expeditions. Although I love working on it!! Time will tell. Look forward to meeting you!

Chris
February 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
As far as my project truck goes I have an 88 FJ62.

Nice to have another '88 FJ62! :fing:

TxTau
February 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Dido...I've debated saving for a project rig that I could totally fab and saving my FJ Cruiser for moderate expeditions. Although I love working on it!! Time will tell. Look forward to meeting you!

Nice to have another '88 FJ62!

Just wish all this cold weather would go away so i can get out and wrench in garage. First upgrade might have to be a large space heater!

softg
February 7th, 2010, 11:01 PM
welcome to you man. love the 62 for sure.

white collar redneck dad
February 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
IM FROM HOUSTON -- I use to live in firestone across from the JR HIGH next to King Soopers.

Welcome to the Group!! I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Warmest Regards,
Charlie

Mporter
February 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Nice to have another '88 FJ62! :fing:

Me too! :D Seems like a common truck around here

Roostercruiser
February 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
nice ford. we wheel our dakota everywhere, if it can make it youll be fine and ours have bald tires