PDA

View Full Version : Eagle rock 1/30/2010

Jamie
January 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
10:45am (Aaron needs a little more time to get down here and grab some chains from a buddy, I hope this doesn't mess up anyone's schedule) at the dirt turnout. Rain snow or shine!

I need to stay close to home since I've done a bunch of work on my Jeep recently.:wrench:

I'm sure it will be slippery and have the possibility of damage to your rig!:eek:

Who's in?

JeffX
January 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I'm possibly in. Thx for the invite!

Pathrat
January 18th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I would really like to try this one again but in dry weather. Last time I found it difficult and stayed out too late the night before with Funrover and Jess. Being slick and snowy would make me more nervous and I do my best driving when not stressed (duh).

Jamie
January 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM
See ya there Jeff.

I know it was a bit scary last time for you that's why I threw the "DAMAGE WILL MOST LIKELY OCCUR" in there. If your down with a "BASH" or two then lets "GET IT ON" Summers a long way away and I just can't wait any longer!

Jamie
January 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
See ya there Jeff.

I would really like to try this one again but in dry weather. Last time I found it difficult and stayed out too late the night before with Funrover and Jess. Being slick and snowy would make me more nervous and I do my best driving when not stressed (duh).

I know it was a bit scary last time for you that's why I threw the "DAMAGE WILL MOST LIKELY OCCUR" in there. If your down with a "BASH" or two then lets "GET IT ON" Summers a long way away and I just can't wait any longer!

scout man
January 18th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I will keep an eye on this one and see how things shape up. Not sure if I will be able to get out or not, but definitely interested.

Brody
January 19th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I am interested, but gotta see if there are any funds for gas. Right now there aren't.

Coloo 4x4s trip report on the trail makes it look like it is in primo winter conditions and a lot of fun. Wouldn't take a near stock rig on it right now, but anything else would work OK.

Funrover
January 19th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Looks good so far! You may be winching me up a lot with no chains though

Funrover
January 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Looks like I am pulling OT the day before. Won't get home till around 3 AM. I am looking at a maybe as that will be 3.. possibly for double shifts in a row

JeffX
January 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
If it doesn't snow between now and then, this trail should be fine. An interesting day late last summer:

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0848.sized.jpg

http://www.whitescarver.com/albums/EagleRockHailstorm/IMG_0859.sized.jpg

Jamie
January 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I does do weird things up there very quickly. Neat pics.

Brody
January 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I am sure going to try for this one. I managed to pick up a little work.

It'll be good to see both of you (Adrain, Jamie) again. Any chance of Joe coming?

Brody
January 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
It would be great if you could make it Pete. Maybe you could drag Sean along.....:D

Now there is a thought...but I don't even like the guy...:lmao:

Jamie
January 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm more than likely in for this one. Which dirt turn out are you talking about? At the trailhead or where the pavement ends and dir begins?

Where the pavement ends and the dirt begins, I'm on leafs so I air down there I want to have teeth left when I get to the trailhead.LOL

That would be great if you make it Pete! Joe's Jeep is down right now I think. I'll ask him at work tomorrow though to be sure.

colomil
January 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
I might take my cherokee on this one. It is on open diffs and 31" tires with chains and a 3" lift that flexes like crap. It would be a challenge!

Jamie
January 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM
I might take my cherokee on this one. It is on open diffs and 31" tires with chains and a 3" lift that flexes like crap. It would be a challenge!

I hope you have tow points, lots of skids and a winch. Not trying to be condescending but we have been turned back on this trail more times than I can count during the winter months.

The M1009 might be a better choice. But I also don't know how you wheel so you could walk it in your Cherokee if you hit the right spots and dig in.

Funrover
January 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
This could be a fun time!!

JeffX
January 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Chains will give you an advantage over me.

Brody
January 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Greg

You may not want to take the Cherokee and go with the Blazer instead. This is off the Colo4x4 Eagle Rock trip report:

Ran Eagle Rock today. There is still a decent amount of snow and ice on the trail to make things interesting. I don't think someone without lockers could make it - still way too slippery and snowy in spots for just a 4WD vehicle.

Brody
January 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Could we get this on the calendar, please? I would do it, but I am unsure of the actual meeting time, place or CB channel, etc. Thanks.

Jamie
January 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Could we get this on the calendar, please? I would do it, but I am unsure of the actual meeting time, place or CB channel, etc. Thanks.

I would but I don't know how to post onto the calender.

Meeting at the hairpin turn where the pavement turns to dirt 10am, channel 4

Here's the lin for the trip report with pics from Colorado4x4.org

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=161592

Funrover
January 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Looking forward to this!

Brody
January 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jamie. I tuned it up just a little, mostly adding stuff for people unfamiliar with Colorado Springs or getting there from Denver, but that was great.

Jamie
January 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks Jamie. I tuned it up just a little, mostly adding stuff for people unfamiliar with Colorado Springs or getting there from Denver, but that was great.

I see you added some info, thanks Pete.

colomil
January 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
I might see if I can get a ghetto-locker in the rear of the cherokee before the 30th. My blazer is out of commission for a while...

Anyone got a locker for a 8.25 27spl?

I am still a "maybe" at this point.

Jamie
January 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I might see if I can get a ghetto-locker in the rear of the cherokee before the 30th. My blazer is out of commission for a while...

Anyone got a locker for a 8.25 27spl?

I am still a "maybe" at this point.

Weld it up!

colomil
January 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
I will weld it up for now. I was thinking of a lock-right or something similar for the future.

JeffX
January 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
The only part I'm worried about is the off-camber icy section with the adjacent drop-off.

Funrover
January 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
The only part I'm worried about is the off-camber icy section with the adjacent drop-off.

Ditto, I will have a shovel ready to dig if it gets hairy. I have been in that section in snow a few times now.. always a good pucker factor. However it seems to be more level in those pics then when we ran it last year with this group.

Brody
January 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
The off camber area, as I remember it, was a lot worse when we did it last year. The pictures on Colo4x made it look casual, but if it is very icy, it will be worse than when we did it. What drop off is everyone talking about? What I remember was a bit of off camber road cut into the side of a hill with trees on both the down hill and up hill sides. There weren't any drop offs...I have run this trail a lot of times, both summer and winter, and don't ever remember seeing anything I would describe as being a drop off....have I missed something here?

This picture from Colorado 4x4 shows this Jeep on what I thought was the harder off camber section. It is only about 300' long before the angle breaks, but everyone had a few issues on it and ended up crabbing through it. I thought that this was probably the hardest section of trail, mainly because everyone had some issues here.No drop off here...no place to drop off of...

JeffX
January 23rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
The off camber area, as I remember it, was a lot worse when we did it last year. The pictures on Colo4x made it look casual, but if it is very icy, it will be worse than when we did it. What drop off is everyone talking about? What I remember was a bit of off camber road cut into the side of a hill with trees on both the down hill and up hill sides. There weren't any drop offs...I have run this trail a lot of times, both summer and winter, and don't ever remember seeing anything I would describe as being a drop off....have I missed something here?

This picture from Colorado 4x4 shows this Jeep on what I thought was the harder off camber section. It is only about 300' long before the angle breaks, but everyone had a few issues on it and ended up crabbing through it. I thought that this was probably the hardest section of trail, mainly because everyone had some issues here.No drop off here...no place to drop off of...

That doesn't look casual to me. It looks exactly how that section has been for a long time. I think the camera angle might be deceiving (look at the trees).

Jamie
January 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM

There is enough room bettwen those trees to completely slide off the trail and possibly roll over a couple times before another tree stops you. If you remember the pics from last year Joe's jeep almost went over if it wasn't for the tree placed in just the right spot, but three feet forward would have been a 20 yard roll down the hill. It's also very loose which scares some folks. It doesn't look to bad in this pic but this as after we got his windshield off the tree and past it, you can see though it's a long drop if you slide off.

Brody
January 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
THAT PLACE! I remember it now...I think I was concentrating on crabbing up the hillside as much as possible and was looking away from it....I remember walking back alongside it as I think we ended up building a bit of a berm there with some fallen trees...and carving a trough in the snow on the uphill side for the uphill tire to ride in...

Another couple of years and I'll be like Chris: meeting the same new friends every day, running the same new trails every day....

Funrover
January 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
THAT PLACE! I remember it now...I think I was concentrating on crabbing up the hillside as much as possible and was looking away from it....I remember walking back alongside it as I think we ended up building a bit of a berm there with some fallen trees...and carving a trough in the snow on the uphill side for the uphill tire to ride in...

Another couple of years and I'll be like Chris: meeting the same new friends every day, running the same new trails every day....

Yup, we dug a channel when Pathrat started to slide off the edge.

Jamie
January 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
That's the spot!

Brody
January 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I maybe able to make this, but LaDawn is going to have to work. If I go, I can take one passenger. Let me know if you want to ride along and maybe help spit gas $$. I am up in Arvada.

Funrover
January 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Here is another update from this weekend

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=161896 Watch the video.. gives a good perspective.

Brody
January 25th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks Aaron!

Those people thinking about going on this run without at least one locker or chains, should think pretty hard about if their rig will do the trail without jamming a lot of other people up.

Please watch the video and make a decision as to whether or not your rig is capable of doing this run the way it is currently set up.

Funrover
January 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah I am wondering about that. I don't have chains either.......

Jamie
January 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah I am wondering about that. I don't have chains either.......

You got me to winch you wherever you need to be! LOL

Funrover
January 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
LOL... as you have proved before

scout man
January 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
well, I am still hoping to be in on this. I am unlocked, but I have never really had issues with needing chains in the past. The scout always impresses me. That said, however, I did go pick up a pair of chains today. Couldnt afford all 4, but I am fairly confident that two will get me where I need to go for now. I also do not have a problem turning around and going home if I cant keep up or I am holding up everyone else.

Jamie
January 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Aaron, Looks like a blast I can't wait!

KnuckleHead
January 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Looks like a fun trail to run but I am going to have to pass at least till summer.... have fun and be safe

SCRubicon
January 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Here is another update from this weekend

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=161896 Watch the video.. gives a good perspective.

When did Tye get a bitchin' Scrambler? :D Anyhow, I can't make it down due to lack of funds. Seems to be a lot of this going around lately.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv56/landshark82/eaglerock%202010/IMGP4851.jpg

Funrover
January 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
That sucks man, wish you could join!

Funrover
January 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
well, I am still hoping to be in on this. I am unlocked, but I have never really had issues with needing chains in the past. The scout always impresses me. That said, however, I did go pick up a pair of chains today. Couldnt afford all 4, but I am fairly confident that two will get me where I need to go for now. I also do not have a problem turning around and going home if I cant keep up or I am holding up everyone else.

Your fine, I will be there

Volcom
January 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Colorado Springs' forecast shows they are to get some snow tonight / tomorrow. Might make Eagle Rock a little more interesting for those wheeling on the 30th :)

edog
January 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
That video looks sketchy!

Jamie
January 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It might actually make it a little easier with a bit of snow over the ice. At least a little something for the tires to grab.

Funrover
January 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I wish I had chains, If it appears to be that bad I will simply turn around before it gets worse

Smash
January 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hehehehehehhe, can't wait to hear how this goes. Somebody take pics.

scout man
January 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I picked up a pair from 4 wheel parts for $80. I know its not in everyones budget, as it is rarely in mine, but I picked up one pair jsut in case, and they had them in stock.

CR
January 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I wish I could go.
You guys have a great time.
I know you will!:D

JeffX
January 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I can't make it. It looks like you'll have a few inches (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Rosemont&state=CO&site=PUB&textField1=38.7422&textField2=-104.956&e=0) of fresh snow.

Take lotsa pics! That'll be a blast.....

Funrover
January 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Is there any chance we cauld start at 10:30/45 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Jamie
January 28th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Is there any chance we cauld start at 10:30/45 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Sure Aaron, 10:45 it is I'll try to change the title and calender.

scout man
January 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
no complaints here. Buys us Denver folk a few extra minutes in the morning.

Funrover
January 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
SWEET!

Jamie
January 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Please pass the word to anyone else who planned on coming. I will still be at the turn out at 10am in case someone doesn't get the message.

scout man
January 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
anyone in the Denver area interested in meeting at the south side of town before heading down to the meet spot? I have never been there, and neither has josh, so it would be great if we could follow someone. I was thinking if you get off 25 at County Line and go west, then take the first right into a parking lot there is a toys r us there with plenty of parking. Any takers? Dont know what time we would need to meet to get there in time.

Funrover
January 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
anyone in the Denver area interested in meeting at the south side of town before heading down to the meet spot? I have never been there, and neither has josh, so it would be great if we could follow someone. I was thinking if you get off 25 at County Line and go west, then take the first right into a parking lot there is a toys r us there with plenty of parking. Any takers? Dont know what time we would need to meet to get there in time.

If you need directions I can get you there.

scout man
January 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
im sure i could find it, just thought it made sense.

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 03:20 AM

I'm in for a caravan down there, but not sure about the other people going from Denver. No idea who is actually going right now anyways, since only Aaron, Jamie and Myself are in the RSVP section. Its on the first post of this thread, so if you are going, please use that. Not sure if Brody is a for sure yet, but we'll find out soon I imagine.

Another question is, will I be the only one there without chains? I'll feel bad if I'm the one holding everyone up cause I'm slipping around, but I'd also rather not have to spring for those right now.

JH

Brody
January 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM
NEW MEETING TIME IS 10:45

I'm in for a caravan down there, but not sure about the other people going from Denver. No idea who is actually going right now anyways, since only Aaron, Jamie and Myself are in the RSVP section. Its on the first post of this thread, so if you are going, please use that. Not sure if Brody is a for sure yet, but we'll find out soon I imagine.

Another question is, will I be the only one there without chains? I'll feel bad if I'm the one holding everyone up cause I'm slipping around, but I'd also rather not have to spring for those right now.JH

If I am able to go I am not going to have chains. I also don't think Jamies does, but I am not sure.

A caravan works for me, but again, I won't know until later on. You and Steve work out a place, It will take about an hour 1nd 40 minutes from the south side of Denver to get to the meeting place. we should be rolling south no later than 9AM if not a bit bfore thn.

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I could have sworn I RSVP'd, I will do that now. alright, meet at like 8:50 at the toys r us I mentioned? I assume we can all meet there on time and head out quickly, so I would like to stick with a 10 minute meeting spot. I dont want to burn 30 min chatting in the toysrus parking lot. Josh and I will be there, Brody jsut let us know if you expect to be in, and anyone else that might meet us there do the same please.

Edit: on second though lets make that 8:40 and plan to be out by 8:50. My scout is a bit slow these days and I don want to keep everyone else waiting.

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
will I be the only one there without chains?

The only reason I picked them up is because I am unlocked, and I have no intention of putting them on unless I feel like it is necessary. You will be just fine since you are locked front and back. I probably wouldnt even have bought them if I wasnt concerned I would be holding up the guys with lockers.

Jamie
January 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I don't have chains.

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'll be at that Toys R Us parking lot by 8:30 just to be doubley safe. Good to hear about the chains too. I haven't needed them yet, and the guys in the video that went last week didn't seem to need them either. Good times.

JH

Brody
January 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Looks I am going so I'll try be there at around 8:30 too. I still have to double check, but I sold the baby welder so at least I have some 'extra' funds.

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Read the above Brody. I'll be there at 8:30am.

JH

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
cool, i was planning to be there by 8:30 or so too, see you all there.

Brody
January 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Well, once again I have seen no way where I can RSVP, but I am in for this run. I will not meeting at the We Be Toys 'n S**t parking lot as That would either require me trying to grind all the way south on I25 from north of I70 during rush hour and I wont do that or going C470 all the way around to I25, a waste of gas and time. I'll be going C470 to Santa Fe to Castle Rock, which avoids 85% of the rush hour traffic. I'll be on channel 4 on the CB unless that gets changed, and my cell will be on.

When you guys get down towards Castle Rock or are about to leave the lot, give me a call and I'll I either wait for you or get on 25 and drive slow.

Cell: 303-507-3066

Chris
January 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Well, once again I have seen no way where I can RSVP

See my note on the top of the page.

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
If you go to post #1 on this thread there is a button on the bottom left side (right above everyone elses rsvp) that says "RSVP"

Thats fine pete, we can give you a call when we leave. The directions dont seem to hard though, so if we dont meet up before hand it probably isnt a huge deal. when I picked that meeting spot I just assumed everyone was headed down 25 since you both live north on 25 and it is a saturday morning. But i rarely drive that strecth of road so I dont know what traffic is like on saturday mornings. I was going to pick a meeting spot in castle rock, but dont really know what is there and convenient. If there is a spot in castle rock that makes sense to meet at, I have no problem changing that meeting spot since I think it is just the 3 of us.

Chris
January 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
If you go to post #1 on this thread there is a button on the bottom left side (right above everyone elses rsvp) that says "RSVP"

Thanks Steve! I thought it was another thing that vanished.

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well, once again I have seen no way where I can RSVP, but I am in for this run. I will not meeting at the We Be Toys 'n S**t parking lot as That would either require me trying to grind all the way south on I25 from north of I70 during rush hour and I wont do that or going C470 all the way around to I25, a waste of gas and time. I'll be going C470 to Santa Fe to Castle Rock, which avoids 85% of the rush hour traffic. I'll be on channel 4 on the CB unless that gets changed, and my cell will be on.

When you guys get down towards Castle Rock or are about to leave the lot, give me a call and I'll I either wait for you or get on 25 and drive slow.

Cell: 303-507-3066

Hmmm.....I'm kind of thinking I should do that route now too. I haven't had to drive through early morning traffic in so long that I forget to think about it (one of the few upsides to unemployment). Its really easy for me to go down Wadsworth to c-470 and down Castlerock like that too, so I might do that. Could be pretty icky going through the section from University to I-225 on I-25.

Oh, and yeah, the RSVP is super easy to see if you go to the very very first post of the thread.

JH

Jamie
January 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Sounds like we have 5 rigs then,

Myself
Aaron
Brody
Haku
Scout Man

Good times !

Funrover
January 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Sounds like we have 5 rigs then,

Myself
Aaron
Brody
Haku
Scout Man

Good times !

Should be a fun day!

Funrover
January 29th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm already packed and ready to go!

About that.....

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
ive spent the day tying up loose ends myself. Reorganized my toolbox to make sure I had everything I could posibly want (that i own), ran around all day looking for an aftermarket air filter housing since im jsut not getting enough air, but it turns out you cant get one (easily) for a 2 barrel carb. I am good to go though. Should be a fun day!

Funrover
January 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
What the? Are you backing out after I changed the time and everything?:(

I will be there, I just have not packed everything... Working doubles I have been slacking lately

Chris
January 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
That's how we roll!

That's for sure but always worth repeating Jamie. You guys have fun, wish I could be there especially since I've never completed Eagle Rock.

You folks have fun, be safe and take plenty of pics so we can it enjoy vicariously.

Funrover
January 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
LMAO!!! Ask if they would be so polite as to move over a little

Brody
January 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I am going to try to be at the main gas station in Castle Rock at the first exit off I25 where Santa Fe comes in between 8:30 and 8:45...Someone coming from I25 give me a shout on the call number . Mu CB doesn't have much range.

Rusty
January 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
have a good time guys!!!

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Josh and I carry a good load of tools as well, so I think we will have everything you could ever need on a trail. Could probably fab you about anything you want if you bring materials :D Pete, sounds like josh is headed down that way too, so how about we just meet at that gas station between 8:30 and 8:45.

scout man
January 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I wasn't saying your not prepared

I didnt think you were, its all good.

some folks just don't break often so they think they don't need em

clearly you have never wheeled with me :D

Funrover
January 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Tic toc, tic toc. 12 hours till :steer:

And I am still at work.. You gonna join twisted?

Volcom
January 30th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Have fun! I would have loved to join but the 4Runner is getting the knife tomorrow. I'll start a new thread about it later. Take some good pictures and drive safe! Gold Camp Rd. is no fun when it is slick.