PDA

View Full Version : Moody/Crystal camping trip on January 16-18th

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hey all,

Guess we are making it official. The current plan is that some people are coming up on Saturday and camping then going home Sunday. There is another group of people coming up on Sunday and going home Monday. A few of us will be doing all three days. Currently, I think the best plan is to have the big wheeling day be on Sunday so we can go as a big group. Safety in numbers and all that. I know people want to do some hiking/snowshoeing and such, so Saturday should work great to get to camp and setup, then go find a decent hike. Not sure on the Sunday/Monday crowd, but we could either do hiking on Monday or go wheel near Poudre Canyon too.

Plans are to meet at the Starbucks on the east side side of I-25 at the Exit 240 on Saturday morning. This the Longmont exit for Highway 119. I'd prefer a bit later start, something like 10am, but if everyone wants to just jump right to it, we can meet earlier. There is sizable truck stop on the West side, and a the East side has a bunch of fast food places and a gas station. Since there are a few from Longmont maybe going, this should be a good meeting spot for everyone.

The Sunday crew will have to figure a meeting time and place out on their own, but here are directions to the trail head from Exit 240...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=I-25+N&daddr=Buckhorn+Rd%2FW+Co+Rd+44H&hl=en&geocode=Fd_tZAIdmSO--Q%3BFcgQawIdhIO4-Q&mra=mi&mrsp=0,1&sz=15&sll=40.160608,-104.974279&sspn=0.024467,0.055833&ie=UTF8&ll=40.417678,-104.982605&spn=0.77997,1.786652&z=10

Cell service is spotty, but we should be able to get you on CB from where the campsite is. I'll make sure to listen to it Sunday morning, and I can come down and meet you guys if you'd like. Its a steep but fairly straightforward trail to the campsite, with a single ledge obstacle thats about 2 feet high. Don't think anyone should have an issue on this one, unless its completely covered in ice or something.

Here is a trail map of the area we will be in...

a link to the full size version of this... http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p2axUP7qDhR3nqPgZ64Ciz22Z9QEUDJ3YMeAOLfF95OVGSku a8Lkdqi8YG4ZIj2G8uckY5J_JFMHx9WLTZEV1Ow/Moody%20Map.jpg

Green trail is the hard way up, purple is the easy graded road, and red is what we'll be trying to get up Sunday (as well as some of the green). There should be decent hiking/snowshoeing in the area too, though it might just be walking some of the trail or going exploring in the woods. Post up if you are going, and I'll make a list for people to see. I'm on here often enough that I don't mind updating it.

JH

Saturday/Sunday People:
Sunk

Sunday/Monday People:
Scoutman (just sunday)

Saturday-Monday People:
Haku, Smash,

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for spearheading this!

I will be there (just me), Saturday - Monday.

I'll see you at Starbucks at 10am.

I would suggest everyone who's camping bring a bit of firewood in case everything is wet up there. I'll pick some up for sure.

BlackRubi
January 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if Ashley telling me that I can go is a trap or not. With it just being me, I could just cram myself in the back of the Jeep. No need for a tent.

Rusty
January 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for spearheading this!

I will be there (just me), Saturday - Monday.

I'll see you at Starbucks at 10am.

I would suggest everyone who's camping bring a bit of firewood in case everything is wet up there. I'll pick some up for sure.

If this site is accessable to and from Glen Haven I can get plenty of wood. Still 50/50 but only because of the clutch. Next post will have decision

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if Ashley telling me that I can go is a trap or not. With it just being me, I could just cram myself in the back of the Jeep. No need for a tent.

Tell her Karla's letting me go without her. *grin I know, I know, not the same thing...

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
If this site is accessable to and from Glen Haven I can get plenty of wood. Still 50/50 but only because of the clutch. Next post will have decision

Its not really directly accessible. You have to drive back down to CR-27 and up to Masonville to get between the two sites.....as seen here...

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-eQzO

That said, there is plenty of deadwood out there, or if you are coming from Glen Haven already it wouldn't be hard to bring it along. Its about 20 minutes each way from the turn off onto CR-27 to Glen Haven I think, so it depends on if people feel like thats worth it. There is plenty of deadfall wood up there, its just a matter of whether is dry or not.

JH

cfr
January 13th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Which end are you guys entering from? I ran Moody Hill early in the fall and seem to recall that the main trail (at least in the beginning and including the ledge mentioned earlier) is uphill and on the north side of the hill. In other words, probably lots of snow. Be careful.

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hey thanks! I'm just following Haku. But, I have no shame: if I get uncomfortable you better believe I'll turn around!

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm definitely going to try the steep bit, but have no shame in turning around and going a different way. The ledge is the only part I'm a little worried about, since its more exposed then the rest. I think it will be fine though, and there are some other spots on there to find out about the slipperyness and such. I think with the warmish weather we've had this week, it should be a non issue.

JH

sunk
January 14th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I will meet yous guys at starbucks at 10am saturday, just me and the dog, and beer.

scout man
January 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
As of now it looks like I am in for wheeling sunday, but probably not camping.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
As of now it looks like I am in for wheeling sunday, but probably not camping.

Cool, that means you can lead the Sunday crew in, since you have been to both the campsite and the rest of the trail. When you guys meeting up for the run and where?

JH

Andrew
January 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
So what trail are you guys doing on Sunday, and at what time? If I can't make Monday work, maybe I could make Sunday work...I don't know though.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The rest of Moody and as much of Crystal Mountain as possible is the plan. I'm sure we can at least get to the playground area and have some fun, as well as a bit further up too. Should be a good time.

JH

scout man
January 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
oh I guess I could. It has been over a year since I have been to that trail but I think I remember it pretty well. what time are you guys wanting to break camp and hit the trail?

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 11:51 AM
hehee....whenever you guys get there. As it stands, you are the only one coming up on Sunday, so not sure whats up with that. Sounded like a bunch of people were interested, but as it stands its just Smash and I camping right now, and Sunk is coming up to hike maybe on Saturday but going home, and you coming up Sunday. Andrew might come up on Monday for wheeling, but it remains to be seen. People getting cold feet?

JH

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm definitely in. Just gotta throw my stuff in the truck after the stock show tomorrow.

Oh, headed down to Murdock's now (have a friend that works there, gonna go say hi) to get a Hi-Lift and some chain to add to my sparse recovery kit. So, will atleast have that, 2 tow ropes, tree saver and a shovel for this weekend.

Andrew
January 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
hehee....whenever you guys get there. As it stands, you are the only one coming up on Sunday, so not sure whats up with that. Sounded like a bunch of people were interested, but as it stands its just Smash and I camping right now, and Sunk is coming up to hike maybe on Saturday but going home, and you coming up Sunday. Andrew might come up on Monday for wheeling, but it remains to be seen. People getting cold feet?

JH

So are you guys doing something Monday? I haven't gotten much response in my thread other than Smash....I was going to do something later perhaps but if you guys are still around....

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I'm in for a half day or so on Monday, would like to head home early afternoon.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm in for a full weekend too, monday included. Sounds like its gonna be a much smaller group then originally anticipated though. Kinda bummed, sounded like it was gonna be a big group in the other thread, and then people lost interest.

JH

CR
January 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hey guys.
I will at least be there for one of the days wheeling ,but am unsure if I want to camp or not.
I've got a great summer tent but no more nest:mad: so unless I tarp the **** out of my tent and have a heater I think I would freeze.
We'll see.
I'll post a for sure answer before anyone heads up so you will know who and when to expect.

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hey guys.
I will at least be there for one of the days wheeling ,but am unsure if I want to camp or not.
I've got a great summer tent but no more nest:mad: so unless I tarp the **** out of my tent and have a heater I think I would freeze.
We'll see.
I'll post a for sure answer before anyone heads up so you will know who and when to expect.

You have a pm....

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm kinda close to calling this a draw and rescheduling for another weekend if I'm honest. I'd be up for wheeling this weekend, but don't NEED to camp out. What are people thinking on this subject? Ash, your a good dude, but not sure I want to spend two nights with ya alone:lmao:. Anyone up for maybe making it next weekend or in a month or something?

Here is what I'm up against. Tomorrow, I'll be rebuilding at least one knuckle on my truck, but would prefer to do both. Also, I'd prefer to get a few parts that I want to upgrade before I do it, so I don't have to tear it all the way down again too. Also, I intended to finish rebuilding my winch today, but spent 2 hours trying to get it apart (brake assembly took a 5 ton bearing puller to dislodge, which I had to go buy) and its still not completely cleaned up. I want to paint it and make it look sparkly clean too, so its gonna take some more time. I could live without a winch on this trail, but would really rather not be on a snow filled trail with me and Smash's Burb and not have one.

I'd still like to get out wheeling this weekend, but maybe not all three days? What do ya'll think?

JH

Andrew
January 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
See on Saturday I am going to Estes early - I'm doing some photography up there and the GF has to coach at a swim meet, so we wanted to sleep in on Sunday, and Roo is coming Sunday to do some stuff for me. I have Monday off from work, so that's why I wanted to do it then....just depends on what works for others.

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hey no problem, do what you want to Haku!

I really want to camp, so will probably go somewhere either way. If I do go, will take the dogs with me as it'll just be me!

Do you figure it's worth trying out Moody for the camp spot? I don't want to get into anything hefty if I'm gonna be alone with no winch.

Rusty
January 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Ok i'm out, trucks not gonna make it much longer, but I did end up getting a bunch of wood from the shop that you guys can have. If you wanna ruff it and just gather some there cool otherwise CR, if you want we can throw it in your truck tommorow or Sat morning? Let me know.

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Ok i'm out, trucks not gonna make it much longer, but I did end up getting a bunch of wood from the shop that you guys can have. If you wanna ruff it and just gather some there cool otherwise CR, if you want we can throw it in your truck tommorow or Sat morning? Let me know.

I might come snag that if no one else does! Will wait to hear from Haku about the likelyhood of me getting up to the campsite on my own. If it looks good, maybe I could drop by your place Saturday morning on the way up? Bummer about your truck. Hope you can get it fixed soon!!

Oh, I also need to clear going out alone with Karla. Will see what she says. Or, she might even say screw work and go with me! *fingers crossed that she'll come....

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
ummm........I'm honestly not sure. I'm almost certain you can get there from the back side going up through the residential area. Moody Hill proper is the part I'm not sure about. Could be easy as pie, could be slick as pig crap.

As for me going or not, I'm torn really. I really want to get out and go camping, but I'm concerned about getting the knuckle rebuild done. I'm probably being my usual downer self, so I should just knock it out and come along. I'm sure we can find a place to go up there. Would be nice to dredge a few more people up to come along though.

So yeah, barring disaster with the knuckle rebuild, I'll be coming along. I'll keep ya posted on that.

JH

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
If you opt not to come let me know, I will probably hit up another area that I know I won't get stuck in. Also have to see what Karla thinks.

You do need to get the rebuild done. You're planning on knocking that out tomorrow?

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Haku. Hell yeah you're coming. Sunk is in! That makes three of us! That way you don't have to hang out with me alone.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hehee....oh good, thats a relief:lmao:. As for the rebuild, the parts get here midday. I'm gonna tear it apart in the morning and get everything done that I can without the rebuild parts, and then throw it back together as soon as the "man in brown" gets here with my stuff. Assuming nothing goes wrong or I need to get other parts, I'll be good to go.

What other area were you thinking about going to? Something closer like Yankee Hill crossed my mind once or twice today. I prefer the Moody Hill area, but would be fine with just doing some winter camping somewhere closer too.

JH

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I'd be hitting up the Yankee Hill area. I'm familiar with the lower parts of it, used to go there alot in the Forester.

If you're still in, I'd rather stick to plan. Looking forward to exploring Moody. Plus picking up wood from pathy!

LOL Sunk is probably gonna be so confused...

So... What's the plan Haku?

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Not everyone is backing out, just a few. Where is the other group going wheeling?

As for the plan, as long as everything goes as planned tomorrow, we'll stick to the plan of going to Moody Hill for a day or two. Its a cooler area for sure, and will be fun.

JH

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sweet. See ya at Starbucks at 10am. Sunk too I hope. I'll check the forum again Friday night in case you've had to change the plan

scout man
January 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I am in sunday if you guys are on moody, but probably wont venture out for any other trail. Dont base your decision on me, but I am only in if its moody. I wont be offended though if you guys change the plans.

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Only time I'm gonna change the plan is if Haku backs out. If he's in, I'll be there at Starbucks and we'll see you Sunday!

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
The more the merrier Steve. I'm gonna do everything in my power to get on this trip, so its definitely a go at this point. I'm getting psyched to get greasy tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and I cross posted this onto Colorado 4x4 to see if I could dredge up any more interest in it there.

JH

Rob
January 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
headed down to Murdock's now ... to get a Hi-Lift and some chain

YES! :fing:

I might be up for wheeling Sunday. Maybe I can hook up with Steve on his way up.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Bad news guys, the Forest Service website says that Moody and Crystal are both closed now. I'm gonna call the FS office tomorrow and find out if its actually true. If it is in fact the case that its closed, I propose a move to Bunce School and Iron Clads area. Should be a some camp sites, and Ironclads will be a fun to bust up in some snow. Hopefully the website is wrong (has been multiple times in the past).

Good on ya Smash. I'd recommend highly to get the 60" version, and not the shorter 48" one. My rig has a ton of flex, which makes the 48" one not tall enough to get a tire fully off the ground. I imagine it would be similar with your rig in at least the rear.

JH

Rob
January 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Bad news guys, the Forest Service website says that Moody and Crystal are both closed now.

Wow, it says Pole Hill's closed, too. And I'm pretty sure it hasn't snowed up there since we were there last Sunday. What's up with that?

Smash
January 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Ah damn. Ok Haku, thanks for calling! I don't know where bounce is, will check it out tomorrow on the computer. Hopefully sunk will see this.

Oh, yes, got the 60". Still need chain. Too pricey at murdoch's!

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Do you know where Peaceful Valley or Camp Dick is Ash (don't say that one fast)? The Bunce School trail(heheee......not Bounce) goes between Camp Dick and the Bunce School (old settlers Schoolhouse) off Highway 7 going to Estes Park. Highway 7 is the left turn of the T as you are leaving Lyons. We went right to get to Pole Hill the other day. Ironclads is a harder steeper trail that T's off of Bunce about halfway through. The Forest Service has Camp Dick closed up for the season, as well as the trail access from there, but you can still access it at the Bunce School side, and get to IronClads. The other option is we can go and do Sevenmile, but that is a longer drive.

Like I said, I'll call first thing in the morning and find out if Moody is in fact closed and post it up. I would say that at least for now, we should assume it is in fact closed, and if you can't get to a computer between reading this and the trip, assume its a no go. Feel free to call me at 303-263-3111 as well.

JH

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Haha bunce. Not bounce. Funny typo. Randomly awake when I shouldn't be.... I'll check out trail damage for a map. I do have clearance from karla to camp with the dogs this weekend. Maybe will go check out that area rather than yankee hill. Yankee tends to get a good bit of traffic year round which is annoying for camping.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Oh. And I know exactly where peaceful valley is and I think I know right where the turn off is for camp dick too. Ride past both all the time on my motorcycle.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I'll have to find the website on the computer after I actually get up. :p

Speedwagon
January 15th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I was going to try and make this, but I really need to get the Brat put back together before I do anything. And that may or may not happen by Sunday.

Brody
January 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Sleep? What's that? The older I get, the less sleep I seem to be able to get. It gets tiring waking up because all of the accumulated injuries start to hurt and you can't get comfortable enough to stay asleep...Never should have stopped doing drugs, I guess...probably could get a decent night's sleep if I pounded a bunch of pills...

I hate it when I cant sleep also, too early in the morning.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Flextoy - thanks for the link!

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Looking at trail damage now. So the north end of Bunce is always open?

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I will be heading up saturday to do whatever...hiking, (light)wheeling, whatever. Also I will be staying till sunday, I just dont think I should run the trail. Coulpe of problems with my truck, the steering box is about to go, and I have no front bumper, which makes it hard (not impossible) to hook recovery equipment to it if I get stuck. All poor excuses but maybe you can convince me when we get there. Im excited for camping, I havent been winter camping for 10+ years.

CR
January 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM
So, any word?
Are you guys planning on Ironclads now?

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Ironclads as in the north side of bunce? The map shows the north side of bunce is at camp dick. That's not open? I have to go at it from peaceful valley? Someone confirm, this will probably be my plan unless Haku steps in and has a better idea. What do you think Sunk? Hit up bunce road?

Edit: no I'm wrong. I'm seeing camp dick and peaceful valley as basically the same place. So, I do want to head in from the north side?

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
So What is going on? I posted without reading everything and now that I read it Im really confused...Im in for camping, and I usually only see this site in the morning. Haku, Smash, hit me up and let me know whats up. 303-204-9822, if nothing else I will hit Josh up Friday night...

CR
January 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM
You're right Smash.
Head in from the north side where there is no gate and we can get to a bunch of good camping spots along the Ironclads trail.
I sort of like this idea better because it is a lot closer.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Ok. This is kinda Haku's trip, so want to make sure he's happy with the decision.

Sounds like the rest of us are in agreement to head in on the north side of Bunce road.

I like this. Closer. And I've never explored this area either.

Now, where would everyone like to meet? Let's keep the 10am time.

CR, you coming?

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Havent been to Bunce...seems you guys know the areas better than me. Im in for whatever, and I want to camp...It will be me and the dog, just let me know whats up...I will have an extra seat if anyone is interested, and my tent isnt exactly winter ready but I guess ill bring it for anyone that needs it

CR
January 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've decided not to camp, but will come wheel/chill with you guys into the evening.
Thanks again for the offer on using your tent Smash but My fiance has some stuff going on this weekend in the evenings so maybe next time.
So when are you guys headed up? Sat. 10 am right?

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Ok sounds good, I'll leave my tent in the garage.

Lets meet at 10am at the gas station in Lyons next to the motorcycle shop?

I've never done this trail, but I see where it starts and can get us there atleast!

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Hey where do you live? I'd like to come by your place Saturday morning and grab the firewood. Will send you a pm too.

CR
January 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Smash, Pathy Rob is my next door neighbor. If you guys want we could just meet at our place to load up wood and go from there.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Oh yeah that'd work out great! get an address to me, Sunk and Haku. Lol I hope he likes this plan... Should we meet at your place a bit earlier then? Say 9:30?

CR
January 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Yea. Lets talk to Haku first but that sounds good to me
After somebody speaks with Haku, give me a call.
720-883-4481

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I don't have Haku's phone number, will have to wait until he posts here.

CR
January 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I'll call him a little later. post # 43

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Ok sounds good, I'm gonna be on and off the phones all day on conference calls and such, so harder for me to make calls today.

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
. Feel free to call me at 303-263-3111 as well.

JH
I need an address PM me or hit me up..

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Sunk - I'll get a hold of you once CR talks to Haku and we get this nailed down.

Haku
January 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Whoa.....you guys have it all planned out. I'm a late to bed late to rise type, so this is early for me. So I called the Forest Service to double check that it was in fact closed (talked to a FS ranger named Marty who sounds just like Droopy the Dog) and he said that its definitely closed for the season. He said you can hike those roads, but not drive them, and to be careful that you don't cross private land (quite a challenge up there sometimes). So yeah, Bunce and Ironclads works well for me.

Meeting at Sunk's place is fine with me too, just need an address to know how to get there, so let me know. I think one night of camping is enough for as much as we'll find to do in that area, with the more entertaining trails like MSV, Plane Crash, and Coney Flats closed. Oh, and what are ya'll doing for food? Want to go in on Dinner together? Some meat like products maybe?

JH

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Wait, Sunk lives in Englewood. Aren't we meeting at CR's? Is 9:30am ok with everyone?

Food for me is leftovers, so I'm set.

Haku
January 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Doh, yeah, at CR's place. I kinda skimmed through the last page since I last posted, so got mixed up. That works great. I'll figure something out for myself then for Dinner. You said 10am earlier, but 9:30am is fine.

JH

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
10am to meet in lyons, 9:30 at CR's since he's in Longmont.

Awesome!

Alrighty.

9:30am
CR's house

Hey, CR, where do we find you? :lol:

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
So 10am in Lyons or do yous guys need help loading up?

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Just meet us at CR's, that way we don't have to worry about the timing in Lyons. Since it's a small group.

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Off to the stock show with my sister who's in town on her winter break (grad school). I'll check online again tonight though to get CR's address and make sure there haven't been any changes. 970-203-4200 if anyone needs me.

CR
January 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cool I'll pm you guys my addy now.

Brody
January 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Stick it on the calendar, too, please...along with the trail change meeting times and places, etc, etc.

Thanks

Brody...standing in as trail run moderator....

CR
January 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM
The way my comp. is set up at work won't let me get to the calender. If someone else doesn't get to this before I get home I will take care of it.:fing:

Haku
January 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
More bad news from me guys. Looks like my hub gear is shot, so I have to go source one of those. I have some interesting videos to show you how sketchy this was. There was probably 1-2 inches of play in wheel when I put it up on jack stands. I guess I know where my death wobble was coming from huh? I'll be posting those up in my build thread. Good news is that the trunion bearings and knuckle don't look like they need rebuilding yet, so thats a good thing. I think I'll be able to afford to get some long fields soon, so this can wait for a bit. Oh, and its almost 2:30 and the UPS man still hasn't gotten here yet. Pretty annoying when its supposed to be here by noon.

All this means that I think I'm out for wheeling for now, and possibly for quite a while. We'll see what happens, but I might take it off the road for a while and get all the stuff I have been meaning to get done for while. I was gonna do this right after I got back from AZ visiting my mom, but you guys kept enticing me into going wheeling (doesn't take much, say you are going and I'll probably want to come). So sorry guys, not gonna make it out camping this weekend.

JH

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
well this became a crap shoot quickly...

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm still in! Sunk, what about you? CR? I won't be hiking probably, just gonna bring the hammock, a good book and chill out.

Let me know if you guys are still in. That way I don't show up to CR's at 9:30am and he's asleep...:lmao:

Smash
January 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Finalized the plans.

Meeting at 10:30am at CR's place.

Just me and Sunk for camping.

CR will head up with us for some light wheeling tomorrow. If people want to come up and mess around Sunday that's fine with me, CR can direct folks to wherever we decide to camp on Saturday night.

Seeing as I don't have a winch, Sunk's steering box is acting up and CR said his truck is a little hinky, will be light wheeling/fooling around only.

Brody
January 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
So Josh...hub gear as inside the Aisen hub or sector shaft gear on the PS box? I don't see where a 'hub' gear is going to cause 1-2 inches of play....

Haku
January 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hub gear is the only un-salvageable part so far. It had so much play in it, because the outter wheel bearing had pretty much disinitigrated. If I didn't have a blow up diagram of whats supposed to be in there, then I would have had no idea that there was even supposed to be an outer wheel bearing. It was really sketchy. Essentially the rest of the the wheel bearing and hub assembly was just caked in blown up wheel bearing, but it brushed off. The hub gear (the part inside the hub that makes contact with the axle shaft) wasn't so lucky, and has little bits of metal welded to it, presumably due to heat and friction. So I spent most of today cleaning everything out and getting it sparkly again. The friggen UPS truck didn't get here till 5pm with my rebuild kit, so even if it was sparkly clean in there, not sure I would have gotten it all done. Was losing light pretty quick when the Man in Brown (which was actually a chick) got here, and putting that all back together in low light wouldn't have been any fun. Either way, with the Hub Gear like it was, there was no way I was gonna be wheeling tomorrow. I did put the other side up on a jack and checked for any telltale wheel bearing movement, but it seems solid, so hopefully its a problem on just the one side.

At this point, I can't decide if its worth getting a set of the Longfield Hub gears to replace this one, or just trying to find out from somewhere else. I hear that Longfield won't replace an axle shaft that gets destroyed by a "detoothed" hub gear unless it is one of theirs, so it seems like a worthy upgrade that I will eventually do. Suppose its not very hard to find a lockout hub that has one in it though either. Is there one in any of the those hub assemblies that you blew up that I could take off your hands for a couple bucks?

JH