PDA

View Full Version : Bored Man with day off.

CR
January 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I was bored today and had my bumper off to re-weld a few things so I decided to paint it.:D
I went to Home Depot with every intention of buying RED, but this is what caught my eye.
Hope you like.
I think the next step is flat black the whole truck, and paint the rear bumper as well as sliders to match the front.9029:smokin:9028

Rusty
January 11th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I was wondering what that orange paint was on the ground when I got home. Looks sweet....

KnuckleHead
January 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Looks good. the color fits with the white body

scout man
January 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM
looks great. I think it would look really cool as an accent on a black rig as well.

Rob
January 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Holy "safety" orange, CR, other drivers will be able to see you coming from a mile away! Got any paint left I can use on the 40?

Mporter
January 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
That is unique, i like it

Roo
January 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I like it too!

SubaCool
January 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Nice!
I also think it would look sweet with the flat black :fing:
Also did one in blue...
...and one in green,

Any other colors you'd like to see? :cool:

Fordguy77
January 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
after looking at subacools version of it in black. I have to say it will look mighty nice

CR
January 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I agree. I think I'll go black body and the accents will be ever changing.:D
Maybe red next month.

Haku
January 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Not my style......but you are rockin it real nice like. We should get together and have a "paint our truck day". This is what I want to do to mine....

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1poHn-9wGkJ2kZkSTwW0g_ogohzH3HpBVK8Aayn2lRekGGphUoJjvgHB k48sjTjYtKaDv6hCsMJubfIuLT3aibZA/paintscheme.jpg

JH

Funrover
January 11th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Realtree camo.... that is the needed paint job now!

Brody
January 12th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Don't ask me about color! I am all about black...My last three rigs started out with a nice color, then they all became black primer coated.I basically got tired of spending the time and money trying to keep a nice looking paint job on a rig I wheeled. It took a while to figure out how much time I was wasting on the paint jobs keeping them nice... The one I have now I painted black to save myself some grief and time as soon as I really started to wheel it hard....

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I would do black, but I would do semi-gloss and not the flat black. Just my opinion but I think it would look better. Flat black just makes things look old to me.

Brody
January 12th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Me, I am to the point with 4x4s, after having owned a mess of them, that I am past the point where I am concerned about what the body looks like. I am usually just happy when I have no rust on my exo cage and spend the money on mechanicals and upgrades. With one or two exceptions, all of the rigs that I have ever wheeled with have ended up with more primer than good paint on them anyway...Of course all of the rigs that I have ever owned have all been paid for so keeping them nice because I am making payments on them hasn't come into play, either...

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 08:05 AM
True enough - but I figure if you're going to paint it anyway, the semi-gloss doesn't cost any more ;)

I need to get some flat black on an area of my hood though, but I'm not sure the best way for stripping it and such.

But I kinda like having a sort of paint scheme going on my rig which you can probably tell lol.

Brody
January 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
True enough - but I figure if you're going to paint it anyway, the semi-gloss doesn't cost any more ;)

I need to get some flat black on an area of my hood though, but I'm not sure the best way for stripping it and such.

You shouldn't have to actually strip it...at least not down to bare metal. You do need to remove all of the wax and polish to get anything to bond. Most of the auto supply places sell automotive wax and polish removers in their paint sections. Then all you have to do is to sand the existing clear coat/paint with 220, 320, 400 grit sandpaper. The wet/dry works well for this, but isn't crucial. Then clean the sanding dust off and paint it. FYI, the Krylon paints seem to work the best and seem to be one of the easier rattle can paints to use.

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I usually use Rustoleum. Once I get the lights on my roof wired up, the glare from them on the raised part of the hood is apparently pretty bad, so going to do just the raised part in flat black. And it'll look cool too.

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I really like it! I love high viz colors though, probably cause of motorcycling.

brian pleasant
January 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
black will look good with orange bumper, black is the way to go i guess

Brody
January 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Got my vote...

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
hahaa......you do have a point. We can be the flat black posse. My problem is the flat black has been done to death really, so I want to go another route. That pic I posted up will be done with rattle can and hopefully cost a lot less then anything professionally done. If anything, just to not be like everyone else, I'd do a flat dark blue or something like that. No stealing my idea though.

JH

CR
January 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Josh,
I'm down for a painting day.
I'm going to check on prices if I were to buy auto paint instead of rattle can.
I've got a pretty good spray gun at the shop I can use and it might look better than trying to rattle can everything.

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
You'll definitely get a better finish with the spray gun over a rattle can, and I'm betting its cheaper to get paint for it too. I've been meaning to stop by a NAPA that carries paint around here and have a look at their swatch book. I hear you can get decent but not top of the line paint for not too much. A friend of mine got everything he needed for a really nice paint job for like $150 or so, but said you could do it for a lot cheaper. They also sell the same paint that comes in a rattle can in normal paint can form, and all you'd have to do is thin it down a bit to use a spray gun. I want to pull a few dents out and do some body filler in a few places, as well as sand down some rusty spots before we do this, but I'm definitely game. hahaa......we can be "paint newbs" together.

JH

Brody
January 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM
If you don't mind lacquer, which is incredibly easy to work with, but requires a clear coat on top of the base (all of which can be done easily in a day), Pep Boys has quart cans of lacquer in different colors for $22 per quart. A thing to consider is that lacquer isn't affected by temperature nearly as much as other car paints where you have to mix the hardener and reducer according to temperature and drying time. It is also considerably cheaper.

It is all in the prep work, too. Whatever color you decide to paint it, make sure that the primer is consistent and the same color. A black primer coat will make the finish coat look VERY different than a red, white or gray primer.You usually won't go wrong priming the whole car with white or light gray unless your finish is going to be a dark blue, charcoal or black. If you are going with a dark color, prime it with dark gray or black for the best results. What you do not want to have is gray primer here, black over there, white over on this spot. It will make your finished rig look like ass.

Be prepared to do a lot of wet sanding with 400-600 wet dry sandpaper for the best results, too. Have a lot of tack cloths handy as well as a can of denatured alcohol. also get some cheapo white cotton gloves. One of the easiest mistakes to make is to touch your 'ready to be painted surface' with your fingers, leaving finger oil behind which in turn with show up on your final product. Just before you get ready to apply your first coat, wipe down the whole rig with a clean cotton cloth with denatured alcohol, then again with the tack cloth. This is where you are going to want to have cotton gloves on.

Aside from that, just watch your spray distance and keep the spray gun at right angles to the surface. Also, anything that you mask off that is not taped all the way around is going to get paint under it, no matter what...When you tape off stuff, you ideally want to hold the tape a fraction of an inch away like on any trim. It also will help to take a razor blade from a utility knife and very carefully cut the edge around the tape so that you don't lift any paint off.

Keep in mind that the EPA will tag you with a $10,000 fine if you get busted doing this in your garage. Yeah...tell me what is the difference between going through 10 cans of spray paint or more, which is just fine, and using a spray gun and the same amount of paint.... Best to do it late at night when your neighbors are asleep and not to tell anyone else when or where you are doing it, except the people or person helping.

If you are going to do the door edges and inside frames of the doors, a small gravity feed gun works perfect for this stuff. I have both a full size pot gun and a gravity feed gun if you want to borrow them for this project. I got them in a set of air tools and have never used them. Let me know...

Keep in mind that I am not a great car painter, but I have managed to put some decent paint jobs on about 6-8 rigs and 2 boats.

Mporter
January 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the tips Pete, i've been looking into this on my rig as well.

CR
January 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info Pete.
I've got the big gun, but might need to take you up on the smaller gravity gun.
I've painted a couple of snow plows and a few trailers, but never really cared if the finish came out great or not.
I think prep will be the biggest battle.

Brody
January 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
There is am awful lot of information plus YouTube videos too. I think if you just google 'painting your own car+youtube' or simply 'painting your own car' you would get more information than you need, but probably pick up some other pointers, too.

The gravity gun is there for you guys if you need to use it. Jut let me know.

Rusty
January 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hey C.R. what sanding method are you using for the majority of the yota?

Medic-5150
January 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Definitely a Home Depot color...Looks nice though!

Brody
January 15th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Hey C.R. what sanding method are you using for the majority of the yota?

Sticking my nose in:

Any random orbital will work. Air is slightly better, followed by quite a bit of hand sanding.

You can do the preprimer coat with regular 220 over the existing finish. Might want to wipe down the car with denatured or wax remover before you do any sanding to get rid of any residual wax junk...

CR
January 15th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Sticking my nose in:

Any random orbital will work. Air is slightly better, followed by quite a bit of hand sanding.

You can do the preprimer coat with regular 220 over the existing finish. Might want to wipe down the car with denatured or wax remover before you do any sanding to get rid of any residual wax junk...

What he said.:rolleyes::fing:

Fordguy77
January 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Glad to have read over all this useful information. Plan to be doing some work to the BII soon. Can't wait to see how it turns out CR