PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Canyon snow wheelin -- Im open for date

white collar redneck dad
January 7th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I need to get out wheelin -- all 8 control arm bushings are replaced and fixed!!! Thank you RidgeRunner Dave, MR6 and Calvary Bill for all of your help!!

I truly enjoyed leading the group through left hand back on 11/15... My 3 wheel Avatar Pic u see is coming down the Squeeze in Left Hand.

Anyone up for going back to left hand sometime sooooon?

Since there are NO more trips planned for January,,,Im open for MID january to end of january...any takers?

Andrew
January 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have a run on the 9th when I get back in town, but after that no plans. Wouldn't mind heading up there towards the end of Jan.

white collar redneck dad
January 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I have a run on the 9th when I get back in town, but after that no plans. Wouldn't mind heading up there towards the end of Jan.

Which works best Saturday am or Sunday after church run towards end of january?

BlackRubi
January 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I'd probably be up for something either Saturdays or Sundays after church.

edog
January 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I will keep my eye on this. I have 33's sliders and lockers front middle rear but no chains, enough?

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Lockers will help. What I have read in the trail reports, including the last Left Hand Canyon report, is that it is pretty icy in spots which is disconcerting on the switchbacks. Lockers or good tires won't help too much here as far as overall control goes, chains are about the only thing that really works well on ice, especially when they are steep and/or off camber with switchbacks.

I would read Josh's post on the trail run reports and make your decision based on this. Josh (Haku) doesn't get fazed too easily, is locked F/R, has good tires and is a good wheeler.

I ran Carnage Boulder a lot in the winter(maybe 50-60 times) before the FS decided to close this cool trail. Running Carnage meant that you ended up coming out Left Hand, the easier trail. It was usually very icy. I never had any real issues to speak of and only ran it with chains a couple of times. Charlie is chained x4, so if you get in trouble, he will be able to pull you out.

Bottom line, with your set up, I would run it. Just keep your speed down, air you tires way down, stay in a lower gear and off the brakes.....but lread what other people post up, too and go back and read Josh's post...There are better trails to run in icy conditions..

Andrew
January 8th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah if that trail is still real icy at that time then I may not go. I don't mind a good snow run but too much ice and no thanks.

Haku
January 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I won't be going up there again till after the snow melts, or until we get one of those huge 2-3 feet snow storms. Someone posted a trip report on CO4x4 of going up there, and it still looks pretty slippery in places. Not as bad as when we did it a month ago though. They managed to get up Firemans Hill, and came down through the squeeze. Not sure if they went down the upper Carnage trail or the main trail after the squeeze though.

Regardless, I'm not a big fan of shelf roads with tight switchbacks when its that slick. I didn't mind it up to Five Points, and even up to the first major swithcback on the Upper Carnage trail before it starts to climp steeply up to the main trail. Much past that and it gets a bit scary for me. I'd rather drive to Pole Hill or Bunce School and Ironclads. I'm sure you guys would have an awesome time though, and chains would be an asset for sure.

JH

white collar redneck dad
January 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Haku --- thank you for your reply --- since you are much more seasoned in this wheelin thing.... im going off of your trusted opinion... so for now....unless we get multiple "melting days" or 2-3 foot snow storm ... im gonna just be on hold snow wheelin left hand for now. I just have a need to get out...Im kidless this weekend...

Haku
January 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Come do Pole Hill with us tomorrow. Its all the fun of LHC with none of the sketchy bits. We had a blast last weekend, and tomorrow should be fun too with the extra snow we got.

JH

white collar redneck dad
January 28th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Left Hand attempt mid to late Feb?

Mporter
January 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I might be free in late feb, depending on the day

white collar redneck dad
January 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM
ok mid TO LATE feb --- saturday or sunday run?

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Decide what date you want to go and see if people can go. Note that there is already a Valentines weekend Trip already planned, so make your plans around that. Be decisive brother.:fing:

JH

Mporter
January 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Well i normally work saturday, and have sundays off....so that'd be best.

white collar redneck dad
February 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
OK all -- its officially on the calendar for 2/27 as Redneck Kiddos Wheelin Day Left Hand Canyon --- hope to see you there.....