PDA

View Full Version : Pole Hill Again, Sunday 1/10?

Brody
January 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM
As Josh posted: I'd go up there again in a heartbeat, so if people want to go let me know and I'll come along too. The snow is great up there, especially with this cold weather we've been having.

I got an email from a friend of mine, Mark Moore (Twisted Toy), who was going to do the COTTORA Yankee Hill run this coming Sunday. He decided he didn't want to go on this run due to the number of rigs and the late start time. I mentioned Pole Hill to him and he was interested. I sent Josh his email address so that they may be able to hook up to do another Pole Hill run. I decided I would post this thread to see if other people would be wanting to go.

FYI, this would probably have around a 9-9:30 meet time at the Bradley Station in Lyons in order to do the run before it got dark. I may or may not be able to go, but I am posting this to get interest going.

CR
January 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'm down.

Chris
January 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM
If I was going to be around I'd be in for sure!

Rusty
January 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Chris what ya think, think I'd be able to get around any easier this time? It did just snow a little more

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'd be interested. Worried about the amount of snow though. Still open and I only have one set of chains....

Chris
January 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hey Chris what ya think, think I'd be able to get around any easier this time? It did just snow a little more

Yeah, now that you're familiar with the value of momentum you'd do fine. Follow a heavy truck up the big hill. ;)

scout man
January 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
if you have one set of chains I wouldnt be at all worried. I led this trail, must of it through completely untouched snow, with no chains and I do not have lockers either. i wouldnt go at it with regular street tires, but anything else (A/Ts) and I think everyone would be just fine. Especially as long as you have a few rigs there, there is little chance any one is going to get stuck enough to not be able to get out. Make sure you have recovery points front and back, and bring a strap (not really very expensive for a basic one) and go out and have fun. There will be others there to help if you get stuck, and that is just part of the fun of a snow run. You really dont need a winch or tire chains to have fun on a snow run. We had 8 or so rigs up there last weekend, not a single one with chains, and all sorts of tires, and everyone made it out just fine. There was a little pulling and strapping and pushing, but everyone had a blast and everyone made it out no problem. Go have fun!!

Note: I still am not recommending this for a low clearance vehicle, but anything with the clearance of a stock 4x4 SUV or truck will be just fine.

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I think I'm in on this if it gets planned! I'd love to get out wheeling again. Gotta celebrate passing my class! lol

Fordguy77
January 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
All these snow runs really make me want to fix the rangers 4x4 so much more. just so i could get out a lil bit. Damn ford and there shift to the fly ideas.

cfr
January 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Anyone sure that the gate is still open?

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Anyone sure that the gate is still open?

No clue :( Chris(fordboy) and I are in on this if it goes through. He'll be tagging along with his girlfriend in my truck.

Haku
January 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'm in, but only if I can be in the front this time:D. I had a ton of fun last weekend, but kinda missed being up front. I'd be up for either Saturday or Sunday. Sounds like there are at least a few people down for it, so it might be time to post it up officially. Guess I can do it if know one else wants to be leader.

JH

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Sounds like we're set then? 9am at the gas station in Lyons?

SubaCool
January 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I still am not recommending this for a low clearance vehicle, but anything with the clearance of a stock 4x4 SUV or truck will be just fine.My OBW has the same height as a stock Grand Cherokee, does that mean I can join?

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 04:46 AM
On the calendar. Let me know if anything changes and you need it changed on the calendar.

I posted for 9:00 at the Bradleys in Lyons, 9:30ish at the Hwy 36 and trail junction. I also posted a reminder about bringing first aid kits and letting people know about any medical conditions you or someone in your party has.

I may be able to make this run. I should know today and will post up. If I am going to be able to go, I will have room for ONE passenger.

SubaCool
January 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I will have room for ONE passenger.
I call shotgun (I doubt Lisa will let me steal the OBW).

Medic-5150
January 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Is this the same gas station we met at for the failed Coney Flats run a while ago?

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I call shotgun (I doubt Lisa will let me steal the OBW).

I will let you know as soon as I know something. I'll PM you with this as well as post it here.

Is this the same gas station we met at for the failed Coney Flats run a while ago?

Yes, I believe so. Turn left at the light when you are coming from Boulder. Stay in the left lane. It is the first station on your left. There will usually be a crowd of people there as it is a meeting spot for so many groups. No one uses the other gas station which is farther up on the right side about 1/4 mile.

Haku
January 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm in, will have room for 1 too, and its the Diamond Shamrock in Lyons (though someone said last time its actually not in the city limits). The other option, that has more parking is to meet at the Kayak Park parking area just a little bit further up. Its right across from the Black Bear Inn next to a pedestrian Bridge. I'm fine either place. The Motorcycle place next door to the gas station doesn't usually mind if we park there briefly, and actually offered to let me and Scoutman use his compressor a while back.

JH

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
The meeting place for this particular run is on the calendar for the Diamond Shamrock.

Good to know about the kayak park parking though, for future reference.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM
The motorcycle shop next door is run by some fine folks, and this is coming from a sport tourer rider - usually frowned upon by harley and custom cruiser riders.

I'm a bit too sick to go snowshoeing, but I've got massive cabin fever. If Karla doesn't have to work I'm hoping we will make it.

That is if you guys will take us! Big M/T tires and no chains....

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Someone should have some extra room. If I go, Kubo is riding with me. Sounds like Josh has some room. Maybe Andrew will want some company in his Dodge...

Of course you could just take the big Surburban. Almost all the rest of us will have the same thing you do: big tires and no chains...you will just be bigger is all...

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've still got the second row seat in the 'burb. No idea if there are seatbelts or the condition of the seats. Plus, will have the dogs with us and the heater can't really keep the rig very warm. lol.

Rusty
January 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I will be by myself in the Pathy if anyone would like to ride with me, if not I might just see if I could ride with some else and be the official photogragher. I'll show up ready to run with plenty of room, maybe who ever rides with can give me some advice conquering some of these hills, (yes I'll remember the momentum).

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
If we come Karla will have the camera ready too!

scout man
January 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM
:o My dog just ate my camera... literally. No pictures from me for a while. :erm:

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Well, I hope you aren't going to feel too sorry for your dog when it has a little trouble passing it....:D

scout man
January 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
There is no feeling sorry for that dog anymore. Had to tell the :princess: the other day that it is a dog, and its time we start treated her like a dog, and she will be in a cage when left alone. No more spoiling her. I like the dog and all, but this just isnt cool.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Oh man. My dog would be on a spit roasted for dinner if he ate one of our cameras! Good luck with that!

scout man
January 8th, 2010, 01:20 PM
she almost was, I put her out and she didnt come near me the rest of the day. She knew she was in trouble. BUT, she is after all just a puppy, and hasnt gotten as much exersize as she should this week.. I guess its just part of having a dog.

Hijack Over!

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, hopefully you can get things sorted.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Ok, we should be in for this. I have a spare that sort of holds air, I'll locate an extension or the bottle jack greenmachine gave to me. I have a small first aid kit in the Foz I'll transfer over, along with shovels, tow straps, extra fluids and a small air compressor

Unfortunately for me that is all the recovery gear I have to bring. I don't even have a spanner. What we do have are good muscles, great attitudes and ready and willing to work.

If anyone would rather us NOT come along because of our inexperience and lack of gear, please say so here or via pm and we will bow out, no hard feelings.

scout man
January 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Go Have Fun!!! Everyone will enjoy having you there, your rig will do just fine, other people will have the gear you dont, go play and gain some experience in your new rig!

SubaCool
January 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM
If anyone would rather us NOT come along because of our inexperience and lack of gear, please say so here or via pm and we will bow out, no hard feelings.
Don't go! You're risking to have some serious fun and gaining experience. I repeat, Do not attend! :p

You'll have no problems, but if you don't wanna go I'll be glad to "babysit" the Rhino for you :D I prefer to drive instead of just riding anyways :fing:

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Lol thanks guys. Will wait to see if anyone speaks up and says they are uncomfortable about me going. I know it's the only way of getting experience, but my lack of recovery and safety gear really annoys the heck out of me. When the pockets aren't so empty I will get a better stock going.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Alright, so who's hosting this? Lets get this over in the planned trail runs so we can get a good head count.

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Done. And all the information is on the calendar.

Post if you can go here:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8140-Pole-Hill-Snow-Run-II