PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 1/3

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone interested in a run on the 3rd? Josh and I are talking about doing one, not sure where yet, but something offering a bit of a challenge, which I am sure wont be hard to find with all the snow around. Anyone interested??

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
I might be interested if you run a trail that's not too far from me. I can't get too far from home on a Sunday.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 09:58 PM
Somewhere in the longmont area? That may be doable. Any trail suggestions?

Chris
January 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I may be in, I'll be watching to see what you decide.

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM
Left Hand Canyon might be doable. I haven't been up there since the snow run a month or so ago. I know we've had more snow since. It could be tricky on some of the switchbacks and off-camber spots.

Pole Hill is another possibility. Charles checked it out but didn't tackle it by himself. If the snow doesn't bog down a set-up rig, lots of that trail should be fine to run. Johnny Park is still open, I think, but Charles didn't seem to think a rig could do it right now.

You'd probably have better luck with trails farther south. If you don't want to drive up this way and end up with few options, don't let me hold you up.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM
well what would be your deciding factor chris? Location or difficulty?

Chris
January 1st, 2010, 10:03 PM
Time & money :lmao:

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 10:03 PM
well what would be your deciding factor chris? Location or difficulty?

I'm thinking his threshhold to make a decision would be how cold it's going to be. :D

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
I am going to veto Left hand.. not one of my favorites, plus if I recall Josh wasnt happy having run that in the snow last time.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Ah, yea that sounds about right

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I am going to veto Left hand.. not one of my favorites, plus if I recall Josh wasnt happy having run that in the snow last time.

Good call. I don't think I want to tackle it again until it's dry.

Chris
January 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking his threshhold to make a decision would be how cold it's going to be. :D

That's Barb, she hates the cold. We're leaving for AZ on Thursday and since we're taking my truck gas expenses are going to be high.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM
But if you go out in the cold for a day before you leave, then AZ will feel that much nicer and warmer!

Chris
January 1st, 2010, 10:18 PM
:lmao: I think it'll feel good regardless. Are you hijacking your own thread?

Haku
January 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
I'd be up for a try at Pole Hill, and worst case scenario we can go try Johnny Park or even head over and play on Bunce/Ironclads. What do ya'll think?

JH

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM
:lmao: Are you hijacking your own thread?
I am allowed to do that, thats why its my thread!! :D

I'd be up for a try at Pole Hill, and worst case scenario we can go try Johnny Park or even head over and play on Bunce/Ironclads. What do ya'll think?

JH

Sounds to me like pole hill is a good one to aim for, and if we cant get through then there is plenty of other places around there to spend a day wheeling.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 10:31 PM
I guess another good thing for this run would be a trail that you cant slide off the side of and not stop for a very long time. Pole hill seems pretty good as far as that goes. I expect to slide around a bit on this run, so it would be nice to have something keeping you on the mountain.

Then again, my new Trxs tires are really impressing me. I tried to slide around with them the other day in a field by my house and I could barely force myself to lose traction. Could also have something to do with the fact that I am way under geared too. How is that for a highjack Chris???

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
Here's what CFR had to say about his scouting trip on Tuesday:

Johnny Park
Started in Lyons headed toward Estes Park on US 36 and hit USFS 118.1 / Johnny Park Road first. Gate was open. Didn't proceed as it appeared that only ATVs had been through. This is the small spur off of CO RD 47 that leads to the campground. Great short trail. One of my favorites in good weather. This would be pretty scary with snow as there are some steep and off-camber sections.

Got back on CO RD 47 to head up to the Johnny Park campground. The access road had been driven, but not plowed. The gate to the campground was open. There was a Subaru in the parking lot and ATV tracks all over. The gate to the South end of USFS 118.1 was open. Tried driving west toward the first obstacle but the snow was deep. Backed out. There's another gate west of the campground (on USFS 118) but I couldn't get that far.

Pole Hill
Got back on US 36 and continued towards Estes to Pole Hill Road (USFS 122). Saw a herd of ~30 elk in the residential section. The gate at the trail head was open and I drove a few hundred yards to the first hill. This hill is rock and is North facing so the snow had melted some and the rocks were peeking through. Backed out. I probably could have made it to the top of the hill if I had tried. However, there's a short steep downhill immediately after that that probably would have been tough to get back up. I'd be pretty cautious on Pole Hill with much snow. The long steep downhill through the trees on the back side could be like tree pinball. (My comment: This section of the trail can be avoided. I'm pretty sure, anyway.)

Bunce
Back on Hwy 7 I headed to Bunce School Road (USFS 105). This is always open from the North. The road was easy with packed snow until the staging area 1/2 mile in. It looked like only ATVs had gone past there.

Back on Hwy 7 to Hwy 72 and the East entrance (USFS 217). Drove 1/2 mile up until the tracks thinned out. Didn't want to risk it alone.

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
so is that a hessitation or a "lets go for it" ?

Rob
January 1st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Man, I hate peer pressure.

I have nothing else planned for Sunday. If you don't mind a long haul on asphalt to get there, I'll go for it. I'll run the FJC because it has a winch. The LHC made me a bit nervous because we had six or seven rigs and not one winch.

If worse comes to worst, we can run short sections of several trails until we get stopped. I did that last year on Spring Creek, Bill Moore and Red Elephant. Interesting day, but we got some wheeling in.

How early are you thinking of starting?

scout man
January 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Sounds good to me. Maybe meet at the gas station in lyons at... 9:30? Or do you guys want to meet early. I just dont like leaving here at the crack of dawn to go wheeling, since it will take me like an hour and half to get there.

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
9:30 sounds fine to me.

Haku
January 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
Me too. Gonna make it official on the Calendar?

JH

Brody
January 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
I am out on this one, too, due to the paucity of funds for gas.

Doesn't anyone have any fabrication, rig repair, remodeling, or home repair work that needs to be done? Oh yeah...and funds to have them done?

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Doesn't anyone have any fabrication, rig repair, remodeling, or home repair work that needs to be done? Oh yeah...and funds to have them done?

You had to throw that last bit in there didn't you. I hope to give you some work on my place come Spring Pete but we'll see how that goes. We found Barb retired too early and face a nasty penalty if we pull any of her retirement funds in the next 9 months. :(

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Sounds good to me. Maybe meet at the gas station in lyons at... 9:30?

I'll be there but need a bit more info than "the gas station in lyons" ;)

Brody
January 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
There is really only one gas station where people meet in Lyons. When you go to Lyons from Boulder, make a left turn and the light and stay in the left lane. When the road makes a slight turn to the right, the gas station will be on your left side. There are usually a large number of cars and and rigs outside. There is another station about 1/4 mile down on the right side, but people seldom meet there. Anyway, when people say 'the gas station in Lyons' , they are referring to the first and biggest gas station. Easy to find, too.

RockyMtnHigh
January 2nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
There is really only one gas station where people meet in Lyons.

It's actually a Longmont address: Diamond Shamrock - 4206 Ute Hwy - Longmont, CO. 80503

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4206+Ute+Highway,+Longmont,+CO%E2%80%8E&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=25.623369,78.134766&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4206+Ute+Hwy,+Longmont,+Boulder,+Colorado+80 503&ll=40.22142,-105.262156&spn=0.012026,0.038152&z=15

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
It's actually a Longmont address: Diamond Shamrock - 4206 Ute Hwy - Longmont, CO. 80503

Thank you! I'm navigationally challenged and that's exactly what I need to find my way. ;)

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
yea, what they said. Sorry, I passed out last night after that post. I was beat. I will put it on the calendar now!

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Ok, its on the calendar. I am going to Rsvp that I WILL be there, but just me, no girl and probably no puppy this time.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Which trail is planned for this run, Pole Hill? Can someone tell me if a long wheelbase (141") truck can get through ok?

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'll be there, too.

Chris, when is the RSVP function on the calendar coming back?

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Which trail is planned for this run, Pole Hill? Can someone tell me if a long wheelbase (141") truck can get through ok?

Absolutely. No real switchbacks to speak of and it's not a particularly tight trail. I think you'd be fine.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Absolutely. No real switchbacks to speak of and it's not a particularly tight trail. I think you'd be fine.

Thanks Rob, that's what I need to know. I'll be there, gonna give it a try, see how far I can get? :-) Oh yeah, are we sure the trail is still open, not gated close? Just a thought.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Ok, its on the calendar. I am going to Rsvp that I WILL be there.

Am I doing something wrong, I don't see it on the calendar?

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Ok, its on the calendar. I am going to Rsvp that I WILL be there.

Don't know what's going on, forum told me couldn't post within 30 seconds, but it got posted (twice) anyway??? Guess I really don't know how to us the forum?!?! LOL

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
hmmm, correct. I added it but it does not seem to be there. Chrissss!!! heeeelpp!!

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM

Click on the calendar, then click on the day. You'll get the pertinent information, but I think the RSVP function is down. We're doing RSVPs in this thread.

The gate at Pole Hill was open Tuesday, per CFR. The Canyon Lakes District Web site still lists it as open, and I don't think it's snowed up there since Tuesday.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
hmmm, correct. I added it but it does not seem to be there. Chrissss!!! heeeelpp!!

Actually, it is there, just can't see it! Invisible type!!!! ha, ha

you can highlight it and then see it!!! like I said, crazy stuff

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Actually, it is there, just can't see it! Invisible type!!!! ha, ha

you can highlight it and then see it!!! like I said, crazy stuff

I just went to it. Click on the "3" for the third. The info will come up.

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
that way people cant hack our calendar and find us. Have that invisible ink going on like the spies used to use. I would have noticed that when I looked except my genius self checked the 2nd instead!

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Damn, this is driving me nuts! I fix something in one place and it changes it somewhere else. This was supposed to be out of beta but it's kind of a mess when it comes to styling. You should see the b!tching on their support forum. :eek:

The RSVP will be back when the author posts it to this upgrade. :erm:

In the meantime we're using regualr posts in the Planned Trail Runs section. Nobody added it there so I will now. ;)

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Planned Run thread: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8067-Pole-Hill-Run-1-3

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Planned Run thread: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8067-Pole-Hill-Run-1-3

well dang, how many places do I have to post this thing!! :lmao:

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
One for planning, another when planned. Oh, and the calendar after I fix it. ;)

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
You guys coming from Aurora, do you think it would be a faster route to go up I-25 and then West on Ute Hwy 66? I would imagine we could make better time on I-25, then going through Boulder.

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
yea, I figured I would probably head up 25

EDIT: Well, according to google it is faster to go 36 through Boulder, but it seems to me that it would be faster to go up 25 just because you dont have to go through Boulder, which seems to slow you down.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
If there is construction work on I-25 then that can definitely slow you down. I don't normally go on the highways, so not sure if that is the case. Anyone else know if there is construction on the hwy?

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have been here to Loveland a few times in the last week or two and dont remember any construction. I think we should be ok.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have been here to Loveland a few times in the last week or two and dont remember any construction. I think we should be ok.

Would you and Chris want to ride up to the meeting place together? Would probably need to head out around 8am?

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
If there is construction work on I-25 then that can definitely slow you down. I don't normally go on the highways, so not sure if that is the case. Anyone else know if there is construction on the hwy?

You can go to CDOT's Web site for updates on construction on I-25. But I'm pretty sure there isn't any between here and there, at least not during the day.

EDIT: I just checked. No roadwork on Sundays.

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a good plan Jim, how about it Steve? We could meet in the Home Depot at Mississippi & whatever the cross street is (Sable?) at 8am

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Sounds like a good plan Jim, how about it Steve? We could meet in the Home Depot at Mississippi & whatever the cross street is (Sable?) at 8am

Yeah, sounds good, I'll be there. It's Miss. and Abilene St., right near I-225.

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that's it - Abilene. Let's meet on the Mississippi side close to the eyeglass shop on the corner.

scout man
January 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
alright, I will be there. Now I am off to a wedding of some girl I have never met before, and will never see again, who is marrying some guy I have never met before and will never see again, but apparently it is important that I go to it. Long story short, you wont get any more responses from me till probably late tonight.

dr350jja
January 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
^ ...have a great time!

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
alright, I will be there. Now I am off to a wedding of some girl I have never met before, and will never see again, who is marrying some guy I have never met before and will never see again, but apparently it is important that I go to it. Long story short, you wont get any more responses from me till probably late tonight.

Must be a fiances friend, your first taste of married life? :D

CR
January 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm in. Do the Rob's wanna convoy or just meet in Lyons? If not, see everyone at the D-Sham.

Chris
January 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Here's the current thread CR: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8067-Pole-Hill-Run-1-3

Some of us are meeting in Aurora, not sure what time we'll reach longmont.

CR
January 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks Chris. See you there.

Rob
January 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm in. Do the Rob's wanna convoy or just meet in Lyons? If not, see everyone at the D-Sham.

I'll convoy. I'll need to gas up at the Conoco at Hover and Mountain View. Want to meet there at 9?

Rusty
January 2nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds good..2 secs away, 9 it is.