PDA

View Full Version : Bunce / Pole Hill trail conditions?

cfr
December 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Has anyone been up in this area in the last few days?

Rob
December 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Big Red was up there a few days ago. Here's where you can find what he said about conditions: http://frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=77032

Big Red
December 17th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Yea, i live up here so...
We got some snow today, nothing big. There is snow up there, i doubt you could do the whole trail (well, the gate is locked at camp dick so...:erm:) but should be good for a few hours of drift busting fun!

Stock on up there are challenges. Let me know when you are headed up, i can go play (i may need to run to Ned for gas first!)

MC

cfr
December 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yea, i live up here so...

Think I'm going to join the Yankee Hill run instead. Thanks for the offer. Ironclads (love the tree roots) and Pole Hill (an all-around blast in my book) are two of my favorite trails. Hoping for warmer weather...

Rob
December 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
The FS's Canyon Lakes site lists Pole Hill as still open. I wouldn't mind doing it in a bit of snow. I did the last Yankee Hill snow run; fun, but too soon to do it again.

cfr
December 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
The FS's Canyon Lakes site lists Pole Hill as still open. I wouldn't mind doing it in a bit of snow. I did the last Yankee Hill snow run; fun, but too soon to do it again.

Hmm... Big Red. Any idea on the conditions at Pole Hill?

Side note... My tire chains won't be delivered until sometime Saturday so I have to be pretty cautious. The wife has us booked on Sunday so I'll be wheelin' without chains.

Brody
December 18th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I heard that the FS installed a seasonal gate on Pole Hill last year. It may be closed despite what their website says. Probably best to call them and talk to a human.

Bunce School remains open, but not from the Camp Dick side. It is only only open fro roughly 4 miles when you run into a FS gate that was installed a couple of years ago. Ironclads also remain open. There is a very recent trail report on Colo4x4 on Bunce School Road.

CR
December 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I was up at Bunce/Ironclads, and Johnny park on wednesday. There is quite a bit of snow on those trails. I almost made it to the loop on Ironclads but got stopped by 2 foot drifts. I didn't even attempt Johnny Park from the west due to the snow. These are still great trails but you might be in for a long day with little forward travel.

Big Red
December 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure what you are calling "pole hill", ive been gone for a few years and am more familiar with the FS route numbers. I have time to do some scouting today, post some better descriptions and i'll go see whats open.:D Its been nice up here for the most part and snow is going away faster then its adding up FWIW....

Now with 4 shocks my truck is riding better on road...... I think i'm going to tear out my rear suspension this weekend , but would go on a run on one day or the other if anyone wants to head up this way...:cool: MC

cfr
December 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure what you are calling "pole hill", ive been gone for a few years and am more familiar with the FS route numbers.

This is Pole Hill Road just outside Estes Park on US 36,

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

And on Google Maps,

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.361179,-105.433592&num=1&t=h&sll=40.35768,-105.453858&sspn=0.004317,0.006899&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.360942,-105.432293&spn=0.004316,0.006899&z=17

cfr
December 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I heard that the FS installed a seasonal gate on Pole Hill last year. It may be closed despite what their website says. Probably best to call them and talk to a human.

There was a gate there last year. It was open in Feb/March when it was dry. Just after the big snow in April (where you got stuck at the trailhead) they closed it again until it dried out. I'm under the impression that they're trying to keep the meadow below from getting torn up.

cfr
December 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
A small group from Co4x4 is going to run Bunce tomorrow. I might join them if I can talk the kids into it in the morning.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1574286

Anybody else?

cfr
December 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
A small group from Co4x4 is going to run Bunce tomorrow

Ended up going to Bunce School Road with some guys from NAXJA and Co4x4.

Here's the first set of pics from them,

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244715805&postcount=33

Of course, this was the best pic of the batch,

http://i49.tinypic.com/op4w7r.jpg

We started at the school house. With a few notable exceptions, the snow wasn't bad until about half way where you cross a creek on the map and start a long uphill climb. It was a busy day, about six hours on the trail and we only made it to the meadow and back.

I broke even, I pulled one guy out and I got pulled out once too. When we turned around, I put my new chains on the front wheels. Helped a lot on the long down hill, but dug in pretty good in the deep stuff.

Brody
December 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
This needs to be moved to Trail Run Reports and out of 'Planned Trail Runs. I do not seem to be able to do this any more....

Chris
December 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'll check in to that Pete. It's both planning and report. The Trails mod should have caught this before it turned in to a report.

Brody
December 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, isn't WINKY supposed to be the trail run/planning/report moderator?

Chris
December 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM
He is supposed to watch that kind of stuff.

Rusty
December 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hey I'm taking my mom up to Glen Haven/Estes Park to visit my grandma tomorrow (wednesday the 30th) and was thinking about stopping up at Bunce school to show her around. Anyone have any condition reports as im newer and don't want to get in over my head. Also if anyone else want to go or is planning to go let me know what time. C.R. wanna go?

cfr
December 30th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Just went yesterday. Haven't posted a report yet. Use your best judgement on Bunce. There's 10-12 inches of snow there.

CR
December 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hey I'm taking my mom up to Glen Haven/Estes Park to visit my grandma tomorrow (wednesday the 30th) and was thinking about stopping up at Bunce school to show her around. Anyone have any condition reports as im newer and don't want to get in over my head. Also if anyone else want to go or is planning to go let me know what time. C.R. wanna go?

For some reason I haven't felt like wheeling these past few days. I think I'll finish my honey do's at home. Thanks for the offer Rob.
Just be careful up there and you won't have any problems. You know where I live if you ever need help.

Rusty
December 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
thx will do