PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill - Black Rubi's Birthday Run

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Moved to planned to eliminate chat from planning.

Run/Event Name: Yankee Hill

Meeting Place: Meet in Golden at the Phillips 66 gas station at Highway 93 and Iowa Drive.

Meeting Time: 9:00 AM

Directions: From Black Hawk, continue west through Central City. Just past town turn left following signs to the Columbine Campground. There are a few cemetaries here but the trail starts next to the Rocky Mountain Cemetary. If you have better directions than TrailDamage, please post it in the thread

CB Channel: 4

Link to Additional Info: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=48

BlackRubi
December 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
My apologies, Chris. I meant to move this over, but you beat me to it.

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
It's all good Kyle, hope to see you there.

BlackRubi
December 15th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'm still debating with my parents. I really don't want to go to Dallas this weekend to have an early Christmas with the family. And I've already set up this run. They want me to come down and send me the money to do so. I'm still thinking the run sounds better. I just keep getting the "we never see you" guilt trip. I just found out about everyone getting together a few days ago.

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
"We never see you"

"You never invite us until the last minute, my life isn't that simple" ;)

Smash
December 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I agree with Chris. Resist the guilt trip, feel empowered! Hard for me to talk, I'm not perfect about dealing with the guilt trips either, but I'm trying to be better about it!

BlackRubi
December 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
That's what I was thinking. Then they got my brother to talk to me and I haven't seen him in years (he's in the Army, too). Evidently, he's going to be there also. I was thinking that I haven't seen any of you guys for a long time.

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm out, my daughter needs to get an MRI on Saturday morning and we're watching the kids.

Rob
December 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm out, my daughter needs to get an MRI on Saturday morning and we're watching the kids.

Hope she's OK.

Chris
December 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks Rob, me too.

Brody
December 16th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I just did some checking on the snow conditions and couldn't find anything on any sites, so I don't know.

This, like any other snow run, should have a back up trail as there very well could be too much snow to do this one, much like we found on the MSV/Coney run. If it was on the 285 side, there would be more alternative trails, but I don't know of many others in this area off the top of my head. Yankee Hill is always hit and miss in the winter.

Anyone have some alternative trails in mind should speak up as it isn't really too much fun spending gas money and time to drive to a trail and find that you can't do it and not have a viable alternative trail to go to.

I would say Rollins Pass, but looking at Colo 4x4 and a recent run up there, you won't be getting too far unless you have a light weight buggy on 44s or bigger, running 4psi.

As far as how long the trail takes, that is also something that can't be answered because of unknown snow conditions. A few years ago it took us around 6 hours just to get to the start of the Yankee Hill trailhead and we ended up calling it a day at that point. I was getting stuck with 37s aired down to 8 pounds and locked x4, to give an indication...

KnuckleHead
December 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
That's what I was thinking. Then they got my brother to talk to me and I haven't seen him in years (he's in the Army, too). Evidently, he's going to be there also. I was thinking that I haven't seen any of you guys for a long time.

I say family first bro.... you never know when you will get the chance to see them again.
It's not like any of us here or the trail runs are going anywhere.... just my 2cents

CR
December 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I may have to back out.
Trucks running like ****.
Possible head gasket, not sure but have to look into it this weekend.:mad:

BlackRubi
December 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
No worries. If needed, we could just postpone it until after the holidays.

Smash
December 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I may have to back out.
Trucks running like ****.
Possible head gasket, not sure but have to look into it this weekend.:mad:

oh no! :(

zak8tac
December 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
So it doesn't sound quite concrete. Is this on for certain? I'm up for going, if the conditions are too bad then I guess it was at least a nice drive in the mountains.

BlackRubi
December 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
As far as I knew, it was still on, but people keep having to pull out. I just don't want to get up there to find out that only one other person showed up. I was just thinking that if it's not a good time for everyone that wanted to go, we could put it off a bit until after the holidays. If a bunch of people want to go, I'm all for it. I just need to get out there again.

zak8tac
December 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Yea I agree I've got the itch

SubaCool
December 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM
As far as I knew, it was still on, but people keep having to pull out. I just don't want to get up there to find out that only one other person showed up. I was just thinking that if it's not a good time for everyone that wanted to go, we could put it off a bit until after the holidays. If a bunch of people want to go, I'm all for it. I just need to get out there again.
I know how that goes. Last time we did Yankee Hill nobody showed up... it was a short notice though (or people just didn't wanna be seen with a Subaru :p). I wanna get back out there, but the :princess: keeps objecting due to some bad memories :rolleyes: Maybe with a bigger group she won't be so hesitant.

BlackRubi
December 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Well, if we can really get this really going it would be awesome. I've been uber excited about it, then it just kinda seemed to fizzle out a little. I realize that the decision on the trail was a little later than I would have liked. And it's really close to the holidays, which in a lot of cases, puts a few people a little light in the wallet (myself included...I didn't realize how much you could spend on a 21-month old).

zak8tac
December 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well I'm in

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I got two words for everyone that's on the fence....
Come on! Eh?
Come on!

zak8tac
December 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I tried looking up conditions in that area, couldn't find anything.

Smash
December 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM
If you guys go up there, let me know what the conditions are. Might be up in the apex area on Sunday just fooling around.

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
If you guys go up there, let me know what the conditions are. Might be up in the apex area on Sunday just fooling around.
You should come up on Saturday and just fool around with us. Wait...that sounded really bad. LOL.

Smash
December 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
LOL!

Can't saturday, have other plans.

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM
*sigh

Haku
December 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome to wheeling with the Front Range crowd dude. It can be like pulling teeth around here sometimes. I posted several runs over the summer at least a month in advance, and people weren't making their decision on whether to go or not till the morning of the trip. Makes it really hard to plan things that way. Anyways, I'm definitely in for this run, and it sounds like Zak8tac is in too. Three is crowd and all that. Hopefully a few more of the "maybe's" decide to tag along too. I'm sure we'll get a ways up the trail at least, but probably not all the way up to the snow drift where everyone was trying so hard last time. Worst case scenario, we can cruise down to Idaho Springs via Oh My God Road and have some beers at Tommyknocker to make it worthwhile. The Phillips 66 is that you want to meet at is the one near the entrance to c-470 right?

JH

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Well, I quit drinking a little over a year and a half ago, but Ashley would probably knock a couple back. I just got the directions from TrailDamage. I was just going to head up that way until I saw the gas station. I thought Greenmachine was up for it too, but he hasn't RSVP'd yet. Any other trails in the area that we could throw in after Yankee?

Haku
December 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
As far as that area goes, for trails that will still be open, its pretty much Yankee Hill or bust. I'm guessing Barbour Fork and Devils Canyon are closed (our "adopt a trail" trails). Maybe Ute Creek, but not sure. We could poke our noses up Spring Creek, but not sure how far we'll get. I'm betting that Yankee Hill will be enough to have fun on. We can snow bash for a while and see where that gets us.

JH

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
That works for me.

AboveNBeyond
December 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM

What! That easy... Sheesh Like she could not get another sitter :D

Chris
December 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Apparently its hard to find someone to take care of 4 kids on an early Saturday morning. I don't think there will be any results from the test but if they do and the report on a brain scan shows something it's a whole different thing altogether.

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What! That easy... Sheesh Like she could not get another sitter :D
If you haven't sold the Rover yet you should go with us!

AboveNBeyond
December 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
If you haven't sold the Rover yet you should go with us!

Haven't sold it yet, had offers, don't know if I want to really, I like it and it runs, and performs awesome... (just the damn kids are a lil squished, and I hate hearing it)

I would totally go, but I have family coming into town from Dallas (how ironic) and they are arriving late tonight) Except their trip has been planned for 2 years... lol

Every other year we (5 siblings) all travel to a siblings home for the holiday. Sort of a big deal. :o

Funrover
December 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Haven't sold it yet, had offers, don't know if I want to really, I like it and it runs, and performs awesome... (just the damn kids are a lil squished, and I hate hearing it)

I would totally go, but I have family coming into town from Dallas (how ironic) and they are arriving late tonight) Except their trip has been planned for 2 years... lol

Every other year we (5 siblings) all travel to a siblings home for the holiday. Sort of a big deal. :o

LOL Welcome them Colorado style. That way you don't have to host again LOL

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Strap 'em to the top and bring 'em along! LOL.

AboveNBeyond
December 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
LOL Welcome them Colorado style. That way you don't have to host again LOL

Should have heard em all freaking when they saw all the single digit temps we had last week. lol (There are some coming from CA too)

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Should have heard em all freaking when they saw all the single digit temps we had last week. lol (There are some coming from CA too)
All the more reason to strap them to the car. That'll get them acclimated pretty quickly!!! :lol:

Mporter
December 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I got two words for everyone that's on the fence....
Come on! Eh?
Come on!

cmon......CMON!

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
cmon......CMON!
You comin? The more, the merrier!

Mporter
December 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You comin? The more, the merrier!

Sorry man, i work at 8am tomarrow...till 4pm. wish i could though

Funrover
December 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Sorry man, i work at 8am tomarrow...till 4pm. wish i could though

C'mon......C'MON!!!! :lol:

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Haku, do you have a better place to meet up? The gas station looks like its a little more out of the way than it really needs to be. I'm guessing after Golden, we follow Hwy 6 to Hwy 119, through Blackhawk and Central City?

Haku
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Depends really. You can either go up I-70, then up the Central City Parkway.....or up Highway 6 through Blackhawk. I prefer the I-70 route, but am fine with either way. The Phillips 66 is as good a place as anywhere to meet, and is easy enough to get to either route. I actually prefer the Loaf and Jug across the street from it, but I'm not picky. Its easy to get to for me, since I come up 6th ave, which goes right by it when you stay on. I say just stick with that spot for now, and we'll figure out which way to drive there from there.

JH

transplant87
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Well, I quit drinking a little over a year and a half ago, but Ashley would probably knock a couple back. I just got the directions from TrailDamage. I was just going to head up that way until I saw the gas station. I thought Greenmachine was up for it too, but he hasn't RSVP'd yet. Any other trails in the area that we could throw in after Yankee?
ILL TRY TO GET ON THIS RUN BUT MY $$ IT SUPER TIGHT

BlackRubi
December 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
OK...so Phillips 66 it is. Hwy 93 and Iowa Dr. Most likely, I'll just end up following you because you've been there before. Mind if we push it back to 10AM rather than 9AM. I forgot how long it takes to get my daughter ready to do anything.

Hope to see you there Greenmachine!

transplant87
December 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I WOULD GO UP I-70 TO CENTRAL CITY BUT THATS ME AND IF THAT DRIFT IS STILL THERE IT IS FUN TO TRY AND BREAK THRU

Haku
December 19th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wait, I thought you meant the Phillips 66 thats just off Heritage and Highway 6. Its really close the c-470 entrance, and near the Jeffco Courthouse (the big domed building). Thats a better spot IMHO, but its a matter of a mile or so. The one you are talking about is definitely a bit more out of the way, especially if we are gonna go up I-70, but either way its not a big deal.

As for the Drift, its almost certainly still there, and very likely bigger. Not sure we'll make it all the way to it though. Certainly willing to try though.

JH

Brody
December 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM
You guys have fun!

Mporter
December 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Good luck fellas....no breaks! :smokin:

BlackRubi
December 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Wait, I thought you meant the Phillips 66 thats just off Heritage and Highway 6. Its really close the c-470 entrance, and near the Jeffco Courthouse (the big domed building). Thats a better spot IMHO, but its a matter of a mile or so. The one you are talking about is definitely a bit more out of the way, especially if we are gonna go up I-70, but either way its not a big deal.

As for the Drift, its almost certainly still there, and very likely bigger. Not sure we'll make it all the way to it though. Certainly willing to try though.

JH
OK...so the Phillips 66 at Heritage and Hwy 6 it is! LOL. I don't know Golden very well. I-70 sounds better to me.

BlackRubi
December 19th, 2009, 06:45 AM
How about 10 am instead of 9am?

zak8tac
December 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hey fellas, I prefer to take the canyon up. If you are going to meet at 10 I will just meet you guys up at the cemetaries okay? Cb chnl 4 doubt ya'll will miss my truck lol

Haku
December 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
10am works for me. See you then.

JH

transplant87
December 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
SORRY I COULDNT MAKE IT I HAVE LIKE 10 BUCKS TO MY NAME AND THAT WONT GET ME TO DENVER LET ALONE CENTRAL CITY SO MABY ANOTHER TIME

Smash
December 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM
So guys, how was it? Karla and I are headed up that way at some point tomorrow.