PDA

View Full Version : Moab in December - am I crazy?

cfr
December 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking about a trip to Moab between Christmas and New Years.

It looks like average temps are normally in the 40s. If the weather cooperates, is this a crazy idea? Anyone been there through the winter months?

We're close enough it seems that I could look at the weather forecast a few days in advance and make a "go / no go" decision and head somewhere else instead.

Andrew
December 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Bad idea to run a lot of those trails if there is anything wet on the ground with temps that could make it ice.

Funrover
December 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Normally I would say go for it. They just got a good amount of snow out there so keep an eye out and check before you leave

Chris
December 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Ask Roktaxi, he lives there and can tell you what it's like, good or bad.

edog
December 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I heard they just got 7 inches. Won't take too many days to clear it out though. I bet it would be worth it, heck if you just run fins and things and then white rim or something like that it would be worth it!

greenramp
December 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
not a bad idea at all. I know a good deal of people that go out all of december and even spen Newyears there.

Smash
December 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I think it sounds like fun! Just be careful what trails you run, but that seems obvious.

ROKTAXI
December 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Ask Roktaxi, he lives there and can tell you what it's like, good or bad.

Well, there may have been 7" in town but at my house (2 miles south of town) we got about 12".... and have not had a day above freezing so I don't expect it to melt anytime soon (July?). Very few trails you can run safely that have snow on them. But that's just me? When my wife got home from work about 1pm today, had to tow the car ('06 Jetta TDI) up my driveway to the garage. It's getting me prepared for when we move to Loveland.

Mporter
December 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I don't expect it to melt anytime soon (July?). .

:lol:

Pathrat
December 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
ROKTAXI:
Looks beautiful, thanks for posting the pics.

Hugh and I have been talking about a winter trip to the area, just to see what Arches and the surrounding area looks like with a dusting of snow. Seems like you could take some scenic dirt roads.

Smash
December 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Now you guys have me itching to see Moab in the winter.

Won't happen this year though.

Maybe winter is the best time to go to stay away from people?

Patrolman
December 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
The red rocks with the white snow contrast is gorgeous. But yeah, trying to wheel in snow like that is dangerous. Personally, I wouldn't be there in December or January to wheel. Any other month is game except the summer heat if you don't like it.

Pathrat
December 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My first solo wheeling trip, two weeks after I bought the FJC, was taken on March 15. It was unseasonably warm and I did encounter a little bit of melting snow on Porcupine Rim trail. Hugh and I did Top of the World last March- no snow.

My suggestion would be to determine if you want scenery or wheeling during a winter trip.

JeffX
December 10th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I like Moab in winter. Snow is definitely a factor for North-facing areas (even in mild weather), though. You can get some amazing shots with the backdrop of the snow-capped LaSal mountains.

ROKTAXI
December 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I like Moab in winter. Snow is definitely a factor for North-facing areas (even in mild weather), though. You can get some amazing shots with the backdrop of the snow-capped LaSal mountains.

Typically, winter is a great time to see Moab. Our snow storms usually only produce a few inches and melt off after a few days of sunshine.... except for north facing areas. However, this storm has dumped more than usual and will probably take a lot longer to melt off. Arches would be a great place to view the contrast of the red rocks and snow. I'm thinking of going there this weekend, weather permitting. There's few dirt roads in the Park. I would imagine they may close those during this storm. They don't plow those dirt roads. To sum it up, you have limited 4 wheeling but some of the northern trails that have less mountainous terrain are usually the best to wheel on... usually great views and fun where there are snow packs to deal with. Southern trails tend to get more snow.

Funrover
December 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe winter is the best time to go to stay away from people?

Nah.. You just run into more folks like those of us here! LOL :lol:

Smash
December 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nah.. You just run into more folks like those of us here! LOL :lol:

I can handle that!!

BLUE THUNDER
December 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I was there for Thanksgiving weekend. We did Poison Spider on Thursday, Metal Masher on Friday, Hells Revenge on Saturday, Then went over to Fins and Things Sunday. The weather was great, upper 40s day time and mid 20s at nite.

Haku
December 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Almost went there for Thanksgiving too, you should have posted up about the trip. Ended up not going cause the people I was gonna go with wanted to stay at Motels so I couldn't afford it.

I have to say after going in March last year (weather was awesome besides some rain), I wouldn't want anything to do with Moab when its icy as far as wheeling goes. Since there are plenty of other fun things to do there, I'd say go for it. Heck, if I wasn't gonna be visiting my Mom in Tucson that week, I'd come along. I'd like to get out there again, but think its gonna have to be spring before it happens. Gonna be tearing into my truck some here soon, and it will be off the road for a while. Mostly small stuff like tearing the axles apart and beefing stuff up. I do want to do a long trip this coming spring, some time near but not during Easter Jeep Safari or one of the other big events.

JH

cfr
December 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
... However, this storm has dumped more than usual and will probably take a lot longer to melt off. Arches would be a great place to view the contrast of the red rocks and snow. I'm thinking of going there this weekend, weather permitting. ...

Any update on trail conditions? Are there Moab-specific forums that I should be looking at?

BLUE THUNDER
December 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Looks like in moab the 7 day forecast is partly cloudy, mid 30s day time and mid teens at nite. Should be a good time out there.

ROKTAXI
December 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Any update on trail conditions? Are there Moab-specific forums that I should be looking at?

Snow is melting SLOWWWWWWWWLY but no snow is in the forecast. Temps have NOT been above freezing and we have had some inversion / low clouds that makes for hampering views. Looks like today will also have some low clouds coming in. I was hoping to go to Arches today but I'll post up if I go.