JeffX
December 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

Mporter
December 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I have never even heard of the Yukon Zip lockers....maybe that's why

WINKY
December 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
now this is good comprehensive stuff to watch. I give 2 thumbs up. very neat to watch too!

Haku
December 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I have never even heard of the Yukon Zip lockers....maybe that's why

They are better know for their Ring and Pinion gears and axle shafts. Seems like ARB is the standard here for selectibles, or Detroit for part time. I didn't know Yukon made an air locker either.

Cool video though. Wondering what Yukon thought of that.

JH

Fordguy77
December 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Well that answered a few question i had about the Yukon air locker vs arb. I saw the Yukon version when i was deciding what locker to run on my 9in, and was unsure about yukons strength. this knocked one company out of the running for my business

transplant87
December 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Well that answered a few question i had about the Yukon air locker vs arb. I saw the Yukon version when i was deciding what locker to run on my 9in, and was unsure about yukons strength. this knocked one company out of the running for my business
either will work. u dout u will ever put anywhere near 6000 ft pounds oon ur drivetrain. And wat had me laughin was when he said that u can drive home on a broken axle.BS that thing will come out

Haku
December 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
either will work. u dout u will ever put anywhere near 6000 ft pounds oon ur drivetrain. And wat had me laughin was when he said that u can drive home on a broken axle.BS that thing will come out

Depends on how the axle is designed. Full Float axles don't rely on the axle shaft to keep the wheel on, so in that case you can totally keep it. Also, axles with brake discs rather then rotors will also generally be able to drive out with a broken axle shaft, since the brake caliper captures the axle too. So its not cut and dried.

Will you put a one time load of 6000 pounds on the axle......doubtful. Will you put much smaller but more repetitive, not to mention shock loading? Probably, depending on your use of the skinny pedal (so in other words, Keith, you would almost certainly do it if the snow run was any indication).

For $100 or so difference, I'd go with the ARB. That said, they have their issues and I've seen a lot of people have problems. The lock ring shims and such move around and break as well, and air lines and such pull out. Personally I like an E-locker style selectible personally, but thats just me.

JH

Fordguy77
December 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Depends on how the axle is designed. Full Float axles don't rely on the axle shaft to keep the wheel on, so in that case you can totally keep it. Also, axles with brake discs rather then rotors will also generally be able to drive out with a broken axle shaft, since the brake caliper captures the axle too. So its not cut and dried.

Will you put a one time load of 6000 pounds on the axle......doubtful. Will you put much smaller but more repetitive, not to mention shock loading? Probably, depending on your use of the skinny pedal (so in other words, Keith, you would almost certainly do it if the snow run was any indication).

For $100 or so difference, I'd go with the ARB. That said, they have their issues and I've seen a lot of people have problems. The lock ring shims and such move around and break as well, and air lines and such pull out. Personally I like an E-locker style selectible personally, but thats just me.

JH
True, i am thinking about just going with a full time locker thou, the 77 doesn't see much street use at all anymore. and i also saw some product that someone came out with to hold your axle in so you can limp your vehicle to a better spot or such.
i'll see if i can't find it and post a link.

WINKY
December 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
True, i am thinking about just going with a full time locker thou, the 77 doesn't see much street use at all anymore. and i also saw some product that someone came out with to hold your axle in so you can limp your vehicle to a better spot or such.
i'll see if i can't find it and post a link.

i will be doing a detroit locker, cant go wrong on a non daily driver from what i understand and hear.:thunb:

JeffX
December 9th, 2009, 06:19 AM

6000# on an axle shaft is fairly routine offroad, especially if you have deep gears. You have to multiply your engine output torque by your final drive ratio.

Like Brody said any full clip axle will allow you to drive home, provided there's still power to the pavement.

WINKY
December 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM
i put 500ftlb torque from my diesel easy (off the engine)..... i have to be real careful with the skinny pedal.

Fordguy77
December 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
i will be doing a detroit locker, cant go wrong on a non daily driver from what i understand and hear.:thunb:

This years taxes are going to a detriot locker, and 4.11's i am stoked!!:D

WINKY
December 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
nice! gotta love tax return!

Fordguy77
December 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
nice! gotta love tax return!

Hell yeah!

Mporter
December 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I still have to decide what mine is going towards

Fordguy77
December 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I still have to decide what mine is going towards

I normally start thinking something my rig needs in december, an weigh out all the options i come up with and then just pick one. Last year it was new 33x10.5r15's BFG KM's. and as i am finishing up rebuilding my motor now, an it has brand new transmission and t case, a locker and new gears seemed like a great choice.

Mporter
December 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I normally start thinking something my rig needs in december, an weigh out all the options i come up with and then just pick one. Last year it was new 33x10.5r15's BFG KM's. and as i am finishing up rebuilding my motor now, an it has brand new transmission and t case, a locker and new gears seemed like a great choice.

Yeah, there's so much i want/need, and what i asked for for xmas :D. But lift and tires are not one of them because i got the lift like 3 months ago and tires have less than 1k on them

Fordguy77
December 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
well hmm then idk. but i'd focus on the need before the want