PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen...

SubaCool
December 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
... at some point :o After our last run (Yankee Hill) we've noticed a slight whine coming from the rear of the car at higher speeds (only under throttle). I've looked and looked and couldn't really see anything wrong but finally got it narrowed down to the rear diff area. I've checked the fluid and it was showing signs of wear and possibly mud (I know, need a longer breather tube), so I've decided to start with replacing the fluid. Yesterday I got underneath to change it and while I was arguing with the skidplate taking it off I've noticed the brackets on the diff crossbar. One of them took a hit and it bent the whole bracket back about 1/4 inch. It looked almost intact if it wasn't for a pinch on the bushing. It misaligned the diff a small amount, but I guess that was enough to create metal to metal contact and it was resonating throughout the frame (thus creating the whine).

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7066/dsc01873large.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3745/dsc01878large.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3731/dsc01880large.jpg

I was able to use a pry bar and a hammer to move it back forward a bit but didn't want to move it too much as I didn't want to stress the welds anymore. It's still a little **** eyed but it doesn't whine anymore (resonate). Now I'm not sure if the welds got compromised but would somebody be willing to take a look at it and tell me? I can't afford to take it to a shop and get it checked out (or re-welded) at the moment (no jobs), I just don't wanna lose my diff somewhere. I hope I'm not asking too much :o

Patrolman
December 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
I would say that you didn't bend the cross-member, but rather the frame mounts for the cross-member. Just clarifying... Anyways, I would say that you are going to likely need to do some more work to straighten this out. Maybe a come-a-long to get it pulled forward. The good news is that everything is accessible. I would check for visual problems with the welds. If nothing shows, then check later for any new signs. I suspect if you don't see anything now, you won't later. IF something shows up, there are folks here who can weld a LOT better than I can.

If you really want to get gung-ho, it looks like there are matching mounts behind the bent one. Since there should be 4, you can make a good solid skid plate with 4 mounts that also protects these mounts and you won't have to worry about any of those parts ever again!

SubaCool
December 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the crossbar is fine. It's the left (pass) side mount that is bent. I have a skidplate that goes from the two main rear bolts (not visible) to the front two holes (up top, second pic), but it doesn't give any protection to these brackets (mounts). I'm thinking about making a skidplate to replace the plastic skid cover under the fuel tank at some point. But that will not be for a while as we're pretty much done for the year.

I was hoping somebody could look at the welds to make sure they haven't cracked. I just don't know what signs to look for. Outside looks fine, just some paint peeled off, but it was flexing (on the welds) a bit as I was trying to bend them back out. I'm just a little worried I guess :o

Smash
December 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
WHOOPS!

porkchop
December 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
i would say it looks ok just keep a eye on it

dr350jja
December 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
...so how's that Suby doing?

SubaCool
December 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
...so how's that Suby doing?
So far so good, why?

KnuckleHead
December 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I would say take a really good look at it now and just keep checking on it down the road...